Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal'

if the handwriting latency is low, that may be a great device. especially with the form factor and CPU power - gets similar to a netbook.
maybe that's a new kind of computing device. I'll call that the booknetbook, or maybe the bookbook (sigh)

does it running Pocket Windows means it will run unsigned programs, or is it a glorified console like the iTampon?

The device described in this Digitimes article must be a Courier device, right? I wonder if Toshiba will be the only manufacturer at launch.

It smells a bit like Courier, I agree. I guess we'll need some confirmation that it indeed is though.
I initially thought Microsoft would be designing and selling the Courier by itself though. Maybe Toshiba and Compal are just the ones actually building the Courier, while it will just end up being Microsoft branded.
Or Courier is just a concept that might never enter the market. There are so many unknowns regarding Courier :rolleyes:. I know I want one though, would make it very easy to make math notes for example.

Its still alive but running win 7 phone series instead of the custom ce and it wont be made from ms but other companys

Its still alive but running win 7 phone series instead of the custom ce and it wont be made from ms but other companys
If that really happens:
Anyone else finds it ironic that Microsoft named the successor of "Windows Mobile 6" "Windows Phone 7" and then put "Windows Phone 7" into other mobile devices that aren't phones?

If that really happens:
Anyone else finds it ironic that Microsoft named the successor of "Windows Mobile 6" "Windows Phone 7" and then put "Windows Phone 7" into other mobile devices that aren't phones?

Well the iPad runs "iPhone OS 3.X" so.... but still lets hope that something good comes out of this failed project sooner rather than later..

Apple does the same, and Google Android is known as an OS for phones as well.

I like the decision myself, because microsoft had too many brands (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC : which is which?) ; add to that mobile computers (netbooks) running XP/7/Vista, they are as mobile as the odd Windows CE "PDA laptop" but are 100% IBM compatibles.

errr source?

Its just whats being passed around

Blazkowicz Apple does the same, and Google Android is known as an OS for phones as well.

I like the decision myself, because microsoft had too many brands (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC : which is which?) ; add to that mobile computers (netbooks) running XP/7/Vista, they are as mobile as the odd Windows CE "PDA laptop" but are 100% IBM compatibles.

MS is just trying to make porting much easier between the 3 major platforms they are moving towards. Windows , win phone 7 and xbox and what they need to support.

A shame if devices based on this concept don't see the light of day. It would have much more useful scenarios than netbook to me. Finally, something very good from Microshaft. :D

208eg4o.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing.

I was just reading a book " One on One" regarding interviews with various people and read the 2 interviews with Bill Gates over the last 10 years.

He was adamant that tablets were the future and they would change the computing environment. And it strikes me strange that there is Apple doing the revolutionary Tablet thing and Microsoft dropping the ball.

They have had various tablet tests/projects and none of them to commercial. Then the cancellation of this to finish it off and now we also hearing about the demise if the HP Slate.

Microsoft will have to make a major decision in the next few years. I suspect that in order to get stuff rolling for them, they will be forced to do manufacturing themselves by getting in the hardware business. At one point they stayed out because they would be in competition with their clients. However with Google, Apple and such, their clients are starting to get into competition with Microsoft regardless choosing the flavour of the month O/S.

Its time Microsoft started to push their own ideas and get in the hardware business for those.

They do make their hardware ... what they need to work on is their image.

I think they should do it by playing to their one strength marketing wise, and Apple's weakness, games. Launch a MID handheld console with detachable control pad.

They do make their hardware ... what they need to work on is their image.

I think they should do it by playing to their one strength marketing wise, and Apple's weakness, games. Launch a MID handheld console with detachable control pad.

While that would be awesome, don't underestimate Apple's stealth attack on the gaming market. They're much bigger than PSP now. Funny how things change innit :)

I've seen a new netbook with two screen and no keyboard running win7, it looked like a "giant" courier, maybe they are experimenting with different devices with the same overlay interface.

While that would be awesome, don't underestimate Apple's stealth attack on the gaming market. They're much bigger than PSP now. Funny how things change innit :)

They don't seem too far from thrashing Nintendo DS either, at present rate either. :smile:

EDIT: I mean in terms of unit device sales.

Nintendo's game franchises will be hard to best though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bugger.

Well, I'm still hoping someone releases something like this with a LCD on one half and a E-Ink display (for reading books) on the other side.

Just can't stand reading books on a LCD...

And it'll be a cold day in hell when someone can pry away my Tablet PCs. :)

Regards,
SB

Back