Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal'

Well with Apple possibly facing an anti trust lawsuit by the united states (about friggen time they are worse than ms ever was with windows) this may be google and ms's chance to get back in the game.

Well with Apple possibly facing an anti trust lawsuit by the united states (about friggen time they are worse than ms ever was with windows) this may be google and ms's chance to get back in the game.

Sure, I think with the down time in the auto industry, it just might be the time for Plymouth to get back into the game along with Oldsmobile. They'll form an unbeatable combo!

With Liquavista on the horizon I fail to see the need for LCD at all.

Hmmm, Liquavista? Never heard of it. Time to start looking for info on that. :) I'm assuming that's a replacement for LCD rather than a replacement for E-ink? In other words, it's a light emitting display rather than a light reflecting/absorbing display?

[Edit] Ah interesting, it's a bit of an inbetween display and can either be light emitting as an LCD or light reflecting similar to E-ink. However, it requires some power (albeit fairly low) at all times to maintain the image, so it wouldn't quite fully replace E-ink for electronic readers (with battery charge usually good enough for 2 weeks of virtually continuous reading). However, it does have the upside of being able to display colors and fast enough to display video. Intriguing.

This (electrowetting) in addition to electrofluidic displays sound promising as a nice compromise between the readability and almost zero power use of E-ink (Electrophoretic) and the speed and color capabilities of LCDs. Heck, it certainly sounds good enough that I'd be happy with both panels being Liquivista. With one being light emitting and one being light reflecting. Or both light reflecting with a retractable battery powered LED light would probably be ideal. /dreams

Last Ninja Edit. :D Damn, they've displayed a e-reader prototype (LiquavistaPebble) but no devices available for sale yet. I was all ready to start trying to track one down even though I just purchased my 3rd Sony Reader 3 weeks ago. Damn, I'd also kill for a Slate PC with this display but no backlight.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
They say it can go down to 1 Hz refresh, so dynamic power consumption shouldn't be a huge deal.

Also the fact that it uses dynamic TFT means it can do grayscale and non primary colours ... which bistable displays can only do with dither or at very high refresh rates (~600 Hz like plasmas, the only bistable display I know which can do this is FLCD ... and it's power consumption in this mode would be many times higher). IMO bistability is a dead end, in low refresh rate mode you need around 8 times as much DPI to look as good as a TFT display ... which is hard to manufacture and makes high refresh rate modes hard too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the iPad runs "iPhone OS 3.X" so.... but still lets hope that something good comes out of this failed project sooner rather than later..
True, but it wasn't named "Mobile OS" before, then renamed "iPhone OS" and then put into other devices like tablets. That's my point here :)

True, but it wasn't named "Mobile OS" before, then renamed "iPhone OS" and then put into other devices like tablets. That's my point here :)
but windows 7 series isjust based on a hybrid of win ce . So its not really just a phone platform. Bill Gates talked recently about still having tablets on the way with pen functions.

I think thisi s an important step as a pen would be great at class or when i'm on the go. Also a split screen would be more portable than the current ipad which while i like alot (would buy if it wasn't an apple product) but its size stops me from really bringing it with me. If i gotta bring a book back i rather have a laptop than a ipad anyway. i can do everything an ipad can do and actually type

Back