Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal'

Mindfury

Newcomer
Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal': exclusive pictures and details (update: video!)

We're told Courier will function as a "digital journal," and it's designed to be seriously portable: it's under an inch thick, weighs a little over a pound, and isn't much bigger than a 5x7 photo when closed.

we're told the Courier is built on Tegra 2 and runs on the same OS as the Zune HD, Pink, and Windows Mobile 7 Series, which we're taking to mean Windows CE 6.

As we've heard, the interface appears to be pen-based and centered around drawing and writing, with built-in handwriting recognition and a corresponding web site that allows access to everything entered into the device in a blog-like format complete with comments. We're also hearing that there will be a built-in camera, and there's a headphone jack for media playback. Most interestingly, it looks like the Courier will also serve as Microsoft's e-book device, with a dedicated ecosystem centered around reading.

couriervid6.jpg

couriervid2.jpg

couriervid1.jpg

Awesome looking device. This is probably the cool form factor that the ipad was looking for. I want one.

Sadly though, I'm rather wary of the device relying on some Microsoft 'ecosystem'. This typically means subscription content delivery for rent instead of purchase, proprietary file formats, and reliance on other Microsoft labeled services/devices that you don't really want. They'll probably find a way to ruin its coolness, as usual.

Sadly though, I'm rather wary of the device relying on some Microsoft 'ecosystem'. This typically means subscription content delivery for rent instead of purchase, proprietary file formats, and reliance on other Microsoft labeled services/devices that you don't really want. They'll probably find a way to ruin its coolness, as usual.

I think 'ecosystem' means ecological system, dedicated low-power hardware for e-book...

It looks ok, though the writing bits just look messy to me. Writing is really a little over for me as a technological interface, to be honest. They're great for drawing, but these devices aren't great for drawing. Also, while the concept of having something that can be carried is good, why can't they make it so that the screens seamlessly connect?

It looks ok, though the writing bits just look messy to me. Writing is really a little over for me as a technological interface, to be honest. They're great for drawing, but these devices aren't great for drawing. Also, while the concept of having something that can be carried is good, why can't they make it so that the screens seamlessly connect?

It seems because the courier can fold like a book. I don't think you can pull that off with two seamless displays.

The whole handwrite functionality seems to be aimed at students taking notes in class as they would now, rather than type (as they would now with a netbook, etc.).

So wait, this has nothing to do with the slate? This is something else entirely right?

So wait, this has nothing to do with the slate? This is something else entirely right?

Yup, the Slate (HP Slate) is an HP tablet running Windows 7. The Courier is a Microsoft product (like the Xbox and Zune HD) running a version of Windows CE (like WinMo and Zune..).

Yup, the Slate (HP Slate) is an HP tablet running Windows 7. The Courier is a Microsoft product (like the Xbox and Zune HD) running a version of Windows CE (like WinMo and Zune..).

Ahh, thanks! That clears a few things up.

Ooooh this looks interesting as a PnP gaming accessory. Especially if it can support PDFs.

Looks like it'll suck as an ebook reader though as neither display looks like an E-ink display. :( /sigh.

Regards,
SB

I'd get this to replace the note pad i carry with me everywhere. The folding is great .

This is exactly what I thought! This device would be perfect for me since I've gone back to uni this year. It's definitely on my radar on release day.

In my opinion the Courier = What the iPad wants to be but failed miserably.

Nice CGI video ...

Seriously it's a nice idea ... but not if you are going to overdesign it (why does this need a Tegra 2?) and put it on the market a year after Apple started their tablet hype campaign I don't think it's going to be a huge success.

Also, while the concept of having something that can be carried is good, why can't they make it so that the screens seamlessly connect?
They would have to use OLED for that IMO. LCD has problems shrinking down the bezel.

Nice CGI video ...

Seriously it's a nice idea ... but not if you are going to overdesign it (why does this need a Tegra 2?) and put it on the market a year after Apple started their tablet hype campaign I don't think it's going to be a huge success.

transitons between everything. On the zune sometimes the tegra can' keep up with what your doing. Factor in two screens and an increase in res and you'd need something more powerful.

I'd also consider people wanting to view 720/1080p video and hulu and other internet stuff on it.

Also, while the concept of having something that can be carried is good, why can't they make it so that the screens seamlessly connect?
Apart from the issues of manufacturing a bezel-less display panel (routing the wires, sealing), you'd also need a hinge that pivots on the edge of the screen, which would mean it either needs to be quite complicated or stick out of the screen plane.

transitons between everything. On the zune sometimes the tegra can' keep up with what your doing. Factor in two screens and an increase in res and you'd need something more powerful.

I'd also consider people wanting to view 720/1080p video and hulu and other internet stuff on it.

It would be a waste rendering 1080p on that as it doesn't appear either screen is even 720p. I'm guessing each screen is 800x600 or lower. Although if it ends up being expensive, then maybe 1024x768 could be possible.

Although after looking some more. Kind of disappointed it's just going to be using WPOS 7/Zune OS.

Regards,
SB

It would be a waste rendering 1080p on that as it doesn't appear either screen is even 720p. I'm guessing each screen is 800x600 or lower. Although if it ends up being expensive, then maybe 1024x768 could be possible.

Like the Zune HD, it could stream HD video to a tv, native screen rez notwithstanding.

Although after looking some more. Kind of disappointed it's just going to be using WPOS 7/Zune OS.

Have you used any app that implements (well) the Zune interface? Zune Software, Silverface and to a lesser degree the new Steam beta for instance. I quite like it. Best "constrained" interface in my book.

I hope it uses a standard USB port instead of some retarded proprietary (read:zune) docking port

I'd love to develop the media player for that thing. Have you hold it sideways, video on the right/top screen, file browser on the left/bottom

It damn well better do multitasking.

Like the Zune HD, it could stream HD video to a tv, native screen rez notwithstanding.

True, hadn't considered that aspect.

Have you used any app that implements (well) the Zune interface? Zune Software, Silverface and to a lesser degree the new Steam beta for instance. I quite like it. Best "constrained" interface in my book.

Hmmm, haven't tried it much myself. I'll try to get my hands on a Zune to try out. I still remain skeptical, but we'll see how it is. Probably just old age and growing inertia to not learn new things. :)

Regards,
SB

Back