Microsoft to pull the plug on Xbox1 ?

it's from spong.com but somehow, I believe this news

SPOnG News

Xbox pull confirmed at retail and by publishers
Leaked info points towards complete withdrawal
30th Mar 2005

Link to This Article http://news.spong.com/x?art=8507

SPOnG has received emails that indicate a complete withdrawal of Xbox hardware in the coming months, with claims surfacing today of a total end to generation one Xbox production.

According to senior sources within publishing, retailers are being instructed not to list Xbox hardware in their next catalogue publications. “They are telling us that they have reached their targets and want to clear the way for the next machine,†we were told, with our source speaking under terms of anonymity. “It’s reached the point where the amount of money they lose per unit, combined with the fact that they might well eat into their own [Xbox 360] market share, means that continuing the run is just not feasible.â€

Of course the big question remains of exactly how many Xbox hardware units are still available. “There are only two million units left and no more will be produced,†continued our source. “There are 400,000 allocated for the whole of the European territory. After that there will be no more. It was confirmed to me that Microsoft has no plans to manufacture the original Xbox once the new console hits the market.â€

However, Microsoft has indicated to key retailers that it plans to having around a million Xbox 360 hardware units available in time for Christmas of 2005, as reported by MCV last week and recently confirmed to SPOnG.

Microsoft’s official line on the matter is that the Xbox supply situation will improve, offering a six week wait-and-see window to retailers. Some cynics may argue that six weeks brings the welcome distraction of a 360-powered E3 show in Los Angeles. The Windows giant also claimed that manufacture of the original Xbox unit continues, although this end-of-cycle production run is likely to comprise the two million figure offered by our source today.

We will bring you updates on this story if anything changes.

Megadrive1988 said:
it's from spong.com but somehow, I believe this news

Let's say it this way ... it's no surprise spong comes up with this story as it was debated already on different boards. ;)

Fredi

hm.... well, I wouldn't put it past MS, who kinda discontinued their old windows products as soon as the new windows came out .

*shrug*

Alstrong said:
hm.... well, I wouldn't put it past MS, who kinda discontinued their old windows products as soon as the new windows came out .

*shrug*

Could be worse, Nintendo discontinued the N64 before the GameCube even came out. Might be part of the reason why GameCube did so poorly, there was like a whole year where Nintendo had no system on the market, and all people got to see was the Dreamcast ripped apart by the Ps2.

Sounds like a nice, clean exit strategy. Microsoft doesn't have to worry about supporting the first box and can concentrate its efforts on making Xbox2 a success.

Like a band-aid - right off!

i have been saying this for awhlie .

Ms will cut production of xbox and it will no longer exist after qtr 1 of next year . MS will stop with games by next summer and the games that do come out will be no frills games by smaller publishers

That wont be a big deal if ........

1. They keep the market full of replacement parts (drives, power supplies, etc.) Which shouldn't be a problem since those are manufactured by other companies and only assembled.

2. Xenon has backward compatiability. Which Im predicting it will for 90% of titles (offline only maybe?) Didnt MS pay SGI a load to settle 3d patents Nvidia didnt have the rights to license. I think this will be a big e3 announcement ms is withholding. Maybe it'll be a add-on hardware dongle type device similar to the Genesis Power Base Converter. MS did this on xbox1 to help pay off DVD licensing rights.

3. Xenon launches with $299 price tag. and MS takes a $100 hit for a year. It would be worth it in the long run to get as many units into homes before ps3 ships. Developers would take notice and it would create an uphill battle for ps3. $399 launch would scare off to many early adopters not wanting to get into another Saturn/Dreamcast/Turbographix16/3d0 investment. Personally I'd bite for $299 but $399 would give me second thoughts.

It's been confirmed fake here by major nelson, I think it's to early to stop production with the supply being short and a lot of good games still coming out, but I don't think production will go pass first quarter 2006

Actually, pulling the plug on the Xbox makes sense from a business point of view. And when we see the unexplained (No, the supposed "too high demand" card does not fit the bill), never ending, shortages the Xbox is getting since a few months now.
I say that this rumor is quite plausible, as far as I'm concerned.

The only things open to discussion are, I think, the date of this pull, and the number of Xbox produced or that will be produced before this pull.

well if they have a few million xbox in stock ( for each region)already assembled i think they can stop production (lets say X months before the last major game comes out) but it all depends on howmany games they will still release

i believe xenon will not have backwards compatibility and they are going to to have a fresh start . maybe xenon2 will be backcompatibel if xenon becomes a huge succes

If MS really expect people to believe that XBox is in short supply because its just selling so quickly then they really must think us stupid..

It's been confirmed fake here by major nelson

They don't actually say that the story is fake. Since the Spong story doesn't say the XBox has been pulled complete. It says it will be pulled over the next few months and production stopped 2 million units from now.

That's a perfectly legitimate use of the English language :) But yeah I'm sure MS would be right about at least 1 person in every 10.. 10 in every 10 on some forums on the net :LOL:

Back