Microsoft Rumored to buy yet another Studio or Seven [2018-12, 2019-01, 2019-05]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by chris1515, Dec 3, 2018.

1. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, bungled that question didn't I. :)

Ryse and the Crysis games were big budget efforts. Was really wondering if they still have the talent and resources to pull 'Ryse 2' off.

DSoup likes this.
  2. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Talent can be hired (especially artists) but the core engine team jumped ship years ago. Resources on the another hand are hard to come by. Ryse was funded by Microsoft (and was a money pit because of the project being rebooted several times), Crysis was funded by EA.

#62 Ike Turner, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    egoless and DSoup like this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I think Crytek burned through ton a money setting up global studios chasing the pay-to-win mobile crowd.

4. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

The Yerli brothers sure did some crappy investments instead of paying their employees...then ran up to their pal Erdogan to get some funds a bit more than a year ago...

egoless likes this.
  5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

dumb question, but are studios ever bought purely for their employees? They purchased a lot of smaller companies that may need 'bolstering' and the available talent pool to bolster that many companies simultaneously is somewhat restricted.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

As the studios don't own the employees and those employees are free to move on, or even mass exodus and all create their own indie studios, I can't see that ever being a purchasing factor.

iroboto and DSoup like this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yup, the best the purchaser can do is the make the sale conditional on the senior management signing minimum employment contracts.

iroboto likes this.