Microsoft releases Windows Media Player 11 beta

ANova said:
There does seem to be a positive difference when the updates are applied to the installation rather than to an already installed windows, granted.

sure, once I updated IE to version 6 (even though I already used Phoenix 0.5 at the time) and it complelely fucked up my windows 98. this taught me : if it ain't broken, don't break it :LOL:
(an update you really must have though, on NT 5.x, is the WMF vulnerability patch)

about WMP 11. it's a beta (a microsoft beta!), for something which is not a stand-alone app and replaces so-called ""OS components"". better to wait for final release in my opinion.

Blazkowicz_ said:
about WMP 11. it's a beta (a microsoft beta!), for something which is not a stand-alone app and replaces so-called ""OS components"". better to wait for final release in my opinion.
Based on my experience with MS betas, if it's public beta available for _anyone_ at microsoft's site, it's safe to install without being afraid of it blowing up your computer.

Only thing still bugging me is ATI with this thing - if I minimize the player and have the WMP toolbar enabled, it pops up that little screen everytime the song changes - and it makes my WoW framerate go to ~1 FPS or even lower :???:
Same happens with for example using my mouse (Logitech MX610) built-in volume keys which pop up on the screen some meter on how loud the volume is, or click on start button and so forth.
Didn't have the same problem with GeForce 6800, but then again, someone is having the problem on GF6800 and not on some ATI cards.
For me, it doesn't matter which drivers I use.

Jesus the thread has gone off in a tangent! In perhaps a futile attempt to get it back on track ...

WMP11 ... I like it. fast search, good organisation, easy to use, updates media library automatically by scanning designated folders, rips to multiple formats, displays Album art (which is nice) and updates id3 tags with correct data, etc

Haven't tried foobar or many of the others mentioned here ... but right now im satisfied, no, im more than satisfied with WMP11 and therefore won't be straying anytime soon.

Back