PowerDVD 8 and 1080i problem + AVIVO Questions

V3

Veteran
Windows XP SP2, CCC 8.9 with 4850 via HDMI (though it recognise it as DVI after I switch channel. But its HDMI at the start at least)

In PowerDVD 8, 1080i MPEG2 playback (sports recording) keep disabling hardware acceleration when I start it. I had to manually enable it again after the video starts.
Sure enough hardware acceleration work after I enable it again. CPU drop from 30% to 10%. Since I can't enable it by remote, it gets annoying. Anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Also with hardware on, if I start another different 1080i files or if I stop and started the same file, the picture will underscan like 40 pixels off the bottom. What's the deal with this ? It was fine the first time only, I had to close PowerDVD and restart it again everytime I have a new 1080i file to play. This with the above annoys me to no end.

Another quirk of 1080i playback in PowerDVD is that I can't skip or fast forward without hardware acceleration. I had to stop and restart the video without turning off PowerDVD in order for those functions to work. This is minor annoyance. But a fix would be nice.

MPEG-2 720p, SD, DVD playback fine. I haven't tested 1080p yet. Or H264/AVC playback from official source.

All the H264 files that I've made, the hardware acceleration doesn't work in PowerDVD. But it does play though. With NV Purevideo I can get hardware acceleration with it. Can anyone point me to a guide to create H264 files that can work with ATI AVIVO ?

Next, I noticed PowerDVD with AVIVO on outputs limited RGB. With it off and using other player and codecs it output full. I had to keep switching my TV from full to limited and back again for different thing. The auto setting doesn't work. Anyone know how to set AVIVO to full RGB ?

Last one in PowerDVD there is option for hardware deinterlaced. There is bob, weave and 3 other options that look like software key. I assume these correspond to the other 3 setting in ATI VIVO CCC like motion adaptive and vector adaptive. Does anyone know which is which though ? Which one overwrite which ? Do CCC one have priority ? or the one in PowerDVD ?

If I disable hardware acceleration will the hardware deinterlaced work ? Also do the deinterlaced setting in ATI VIVO CCC work with other players with different codec that doesn't support AVIVO ? Because I noticed the color correction affects other player with different codec too. I am just wondering if the deinterlaced and other options like noise and edge enhancement work the same ?

Extra question. Anyone able to get VMR9 Renderless to work without tearing. I played with refresh rate, reclock but that mode just tear.

Help anyone ?

I would try Media Player Classic Homecinema.

It has built in DXVA for the mpeg 4 codecs and you can add the powerdvd hardware acceleration codecs for mpeg2 videos.

For what it is, PowerDVD is the most bloated piece of crap I've ever used so I wouldn't expect it to ever work properly.

Is DXVA and AVIVO give the same picture quality ? Because I did try to use KMPlayer with PowerDVD codecs with hardware acceleration but the picture quality is not as good as with PowerDVD. And the options for deinterlacing is only bob and weave. I can't get the other 3 options.

See with KMPlayer and I assume MPC HC I would run into that VMR9 tearing problem. Tearing is just not something I am going to put up with.

To be honest I'm not that much of a videophile to comment other than to say I've never really noticed any difference.

I would suggest you try it out yourself, it would only take you a couple of minutes to find out. I do know there is a tearing option in MPC HC to remove tearing if you get any though.

Well its not really just a couple of minutes. That PowerDVD waste my weekend fiddling with it. But I'll give it a try. Alot of people recommend the HomeCinema build for MPC.

Back