Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

AR is not really about immersion, but convenience and flexibility. Any traditional content that people currently need a handheld or wall mounted display for can be made available to you in AR. If people still enjoy playing 2D Mario on an HDTV, then being able to take that HDTV with you where ever you go seems like a pretty compelling use case.

I don't think those old school Mario games really need super immersion.

They were developed for non HD, '80s era TVs.

The benefit versus a handheld is that I wouldn't have to constantly look down at the screen which causes some neck strain or constantly hold the handheld up at a comfortable viewing angle causes stress in the arms. As well it offers a much larger screen that can be located at a focal point beyond arms length. That last being of huge benefit to older folks, like me, who suffer the inevitable onset of Presbyopia due to age. Also of benefit is using a controller that is far more comfortable than what you get with a handheld. I love my 3DS and before that my PSP, but my hands always got cramped after extended usage.

The benefit versus playing it on a TV or monitor is that you can take it with you anywhere just like a handheld.

Those might all sound like just minor conveniences, but so are remote controls for various devices. Yet those are ubiquitous and viewed as essential by many people nowadays.

Regards,
SB

Don't forget screen size. The HoloLens even with its small fov can make you feel like your playing a 60 inch tv while your on a plain or train or what have you. Your handheld will bel imited to sub 10 inch screen most likely. Also your no longer holding a heavy system in your hand just a light controller

Just a random thought that just popped into my head.

Imagine a group/business/agency/corporation/whatever doing a presentation of some sort. Everyone can see the same real life display with all the data and whatnot. People with an AR headset and appropriate permissions could see additional data overlayed on that presentation that aren't meant for the general public/employee/whatever. Multiple layers of permissions could allow for multiple layers or even completely different sets of additional data. And all while the entire group is attending the same conference/presentation. Probably too gimmicky, but seems like it could have some potential real life use.

Imagine it as an assist for traditional gaming. You could have many non-essential but still useful UI elements located off screen while using a real life display for the actual game content. A full sized map to the side. You'd have to take your eyes off the main display to view it, but your peripheral vision would still be aware of what's happening on the main screen. Similar to real life. You could do that same with inventory management. Rummage through your bag off-screen, but you are still vaguely aware of what's happening on the main screen, potentially alerting you to approaching enemies.

Argh. I've got to stop this. Once I start thinkin about it's so easy to end up thinking about so many cool possibilities with using AR to enhance so many things that we already do.

Regards,
SB

Argh. I've got to stop this. Once I start thinkin about it's so easy to end up thinking about so many cool possibilities with using AR to enhance so many things that we already do.

Especially in the Instructional or counseling realm. It could assist in many areas, even help discover difficult to find spots. :LOL:

Don't forget screen size. The HoloLens even with its small fov can make you feel like your playing a 60 inch tv while your on a plain or train or what have you. Your handheld will bel imited to sub 10 inch screen most likely. Also your no longer holding a heavy system in your hand just a light controller

I don't think an NES game on a 60-inch TV, real or virtual, is that compelling.

Yeah the HMD has some utility but it may be mitigated by lack of social acceptance.

I don't think an NES game on a 60-inch TV, real or virtual, is that compelling.

Yeah the HMD has some utility but it may be mitigated by lack of social acceptance.
on the go its a compelling feature. a lot of older games are great for pick up and go type experiances . I'm not saying its the reason to buy a HoloLens . I think its just another plank in the bridge to get you to buy one

It wouldn't be any different than viewing 3D movies in AR/VR. You get the same stereo information you get normally, just without any of the specific stereo artifacts (cross-talk, etc) associated with the native 3D technology. It's actually pretty underwhelming because the perspective depth you're getting from the fixed stereo perspective looks awful when contrasted with proper head tracked stereo perspective.

I think I'd want a Mario game where I'm platforming using the textures of wallpaper as platforms like I used to imagine when I was a kid. Or similarly playing Tetris using the silhouettes of objects in the room (which seems to happen naturally after you've been playing far too much.)

Saw another cute childhood game-turned-Hololens-game called, 'The Floor is Lava', turning your household furniture into platforms to crawl over. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/the-floor-is-lava/9nblggh51k2d

Except that since most 3DS games actually support 3D, that could be implemented in the Hololens emulator.

It wouldn't be any different than viewing 3D movies in AR/VR. You get the same stereo information you get normally, just without any of the specific stereo artifacts (cross-talk, etc) associated with the native 3D technology. It's actually pretty underwhelming because the perspective depth you're getting from the fixed stereo perspective looks awful when contrasted with proper head tracked stereo perspective. <snip>

Native 3D technology shouldn't have such stereo artifacts, actually with DLP projectors all ghosting originate in glasses , and that was already practically crosstalk free.

Fixed perspective vs. head tracked comparison is interesting, in theory a fixed perspective should grant much better trade-offs in graphics, 2d rendering path is opened up, so in the end might be the less underwhelming of the two. Not sure head tracking worths it when all you get is minecraft and similar , & those are only "euphemistically" games IMHO.

Wait, these emulators wouldn't be coming from MS right?

Did they license from Nintendo?

3rd party developers with clean room code (IE - not using Nintendo code) in the emulators. As long as that is the case, Nintendo can't go after them unless they are stupid enough to bundle game ROMs (homebrew excluded).

Regards,
SB

It wouldn't be any different than viewing 3D movies in AR/VR. You get the same stereo information you get normally, just without any of the specific stereo artifacts (cross-talk, etc) associated with the native 3D technology. It's actually pretty underwhelming because the perspective depth you're getting from the fixed stereo perspective looks awful when contrasted with proper head tracked stereo perspective.

I think I'd want a Mario game where I'm platforming using the textures of wallpaper as platforms like I used to imagine when I was a kid. Or similarly playing Tetris using the silhouettes of objects in the room (which seems to happen naturally after you've been playing far too much.)

Saw another cute childhood game-turned-Hololens-game called, 'The Floor is Lava', turning your household furniture into platforms to crawl over. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/the-floor-is-lava/9nblggh51k2d

For 3DS it's compelling because you have to keep your head in a relatively narrow orientation, even with the head tracking of the New 3DS which expands that a bit.

Fixed 3D stereoscopic is still far more compelling in VR and I'm assuming AR than it is on conventional displays. Yes, it's less compelling than head tracked 3D, but you're never going to have a head tracked 3D film that isn't a 3D real time rendered film (IE - rendered at the time of viewing).

Regards,
SB

1. Fixed 3D stereoscopic is still far more compelling in VR and I'm assuming AR than it is on conventional displays.
    Evidence? VR in professional enviroment without projectors wasn't ever a thing*, and AR doesn't even exist.
  2. *What changed recently is that they decided they can smear pixels into 500x350 resolution equivalent and that's adequate for consumers.
You have to be in front of a black wall if you want any blacks.

1. Evidence? VR in professional enviroment without projectors wasn't ever a thing*, and AR doesn't even exist.
  2. *What changed recently is that they decided they can smear pixels into 500x350 resolution equivalent and that's adequate for consumers.
You have to be in front of a black wall if you want any blacks.

Personal experience with theatre, HDTV (active and passive), and projector (active). I've had the least satisfactory experience with systems using active glasses. The last time I used an active system was about a year or so ago, so maybe there's been significant advances there.

There are certainly issues with VR viewing of stereoscopic 3D content. The low resolution is obvious as is the limited FOV which causes issues at the left and right side of the image. I wish they'd made it such that each lens provided a view that was perfectly superimposed over the image of the other lens. It's something annoying that hopefully future VR headsets will get right.

That said, I find the overall experience better than traditional stereoscopic 3D displays. Especially if a movie is re-encoded for 60 or better yet 90 FPS. The judder from 24 FPS in theaters is horrendous with 3D content. 48 FPS is better but still not what I'd call pleasant. Otherwise theaters would provide a decent experience.

Regards,
SB

Another video of HoloLens.. As time goes on, if I don't have the money to buy a console (Xbox or PS most likely, the latest because of Gran Turismo) and a HoloLens, I am certainly torn between saving money for either a new console or HoloLens...

I wish they'd made it such that each lens provided a view that was perfectly superimposed over the image of the other lens. It's something annoying that hopefully future VR headsets will get right.

Most of the VR headsets have full or close to full stereo overlap (DK1, DK2, GearVR, Vive, etc). The only one that's noticeably deviated from this is the Rift CV1. Had the CV1 gone with a full stereo overlap it would have meant a significant sacrifice in stereo(combined) FOV, and/or a reduction in perceived pixel density.

Another video of HoloLens.. As time goes on, if I don't have the money to buy a console (Xbox or PS most likely, the latest because of Gran Turismo) and a HoloLens, I am certainly torn between saving money for either a new console or HoloLens...

That's another naughty video. The content is opaque and edge-to-edge. What's the visibility in the bright sunlight really like?

Also for now even a PS4 PRO with VR, camera, move etc costs a fraction of a Hololens.

Back