Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

I... don't... care... That's my thoughts about the complaining of the representation of the videos. I completely understand & thought most people here of all places understood that's it's not an EXACT representation of what's viewed by the viewer. I posted the videos of the CONTENT to get people to talk about them & their use. I'm excited by it's utility & the potential for innovated content. But unfortunately you guys want to nitpick the crap out of it & say it's misleading & deceptive. Why can't we just talk about the cool stuff this technology is doing? Why does it have to be a downer? I thought I found a topic I could post about here that was neat & exciting but evidently I can't do that here on B3D anymore without it getting ripped apart. Thanks guys. Peace, I'm out of here.

P.S. For those that want to see some neat stuff on Reddit check out the Hololens subreddit. Be on the look out for the videos on the Fragments detective game.

Tommy McClain

Why can't we just talk about the cool stuff this technology is doing? Why does it have to be a downer? I thought I found a topic I could post about here that was neat & exciting but evidently I can't do that here on B3D anymore without it getting ripped apart. Thanks guys. Peace, I'm out of here.
There's a population of diverse people here. Some people want to talk about the tech more than the content, and some don't feel criticism is 'ripping something apart'. That's why we have different fora and threads. This thread started as a catch-all. Once the content starts appearing, if people want to discuss that and this thread isn't working, a new, content focussed thread can be created. That way we can cater to everyone. It's the very basis of a multithreaded discussion forum supporting different lines of conversation. It's a little bit perplexing that people, even long time forum goers, still struggle with that understanding. But in your case I recall you've started threads specifically to discuss games etc. excluding certain conversation point, so now I'm doubly bemused!

Never had I though my nitpicking was ripping someone appart, or hurting anyones feelings. As I've worked with advertising, the representation and misrepresentation of products (and I've done my share as well) is a topic of great interest to me. I don't see it as a downer, but an interesring and important aspect of a product that's about to launch enventually, and specially so when its mean to "change everything". I think this has potential to do great things just like every other guy, but I fear overselling it might get people disapointed. Tech companies have learned that at this day and age, its hard to sugar coat reality too much without a backlash. I absolutely adore the honest and down to earth aproach oculus and vive took to spreading their vision. They started small, realistic and honest, and slowly built on that, gradually making it more mainstream, yet without ever overpromising.
I think there might be great professionals working on holo lens RnD, but then some old fashion executives rooted in salesmen mentality got that in development baby and made big splashy events about it, which I think it was not mature enough for. Stating that is not depressive or boring to me, to the contrary, its all fascinating market dynamics which I'll pay close attention to see how it ends up.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1329763

upload_2016-5-25_21-52-30.png

Some interesting stuff

The HPU at the core of the headset is essentially a data fusion sensor. It takes inputs from an array of sensors on the HoloLens include four environmental sensors, a miniaturized Kinect depth camera and an inertia measurement unit. It accelerates algorithms that track the user’s environment, movements and gestures and displays holographic images.

The 28nm HPU is essentially a highly customized DSP array running at less than 10W max. It includes an unknown number of Tensilica DSP cores optimized to run hundreds of HoloLens-specific instructions.

The headset is powered by a 14nm Intel Cherry Trail SoC with embedded graphics running Windows 10. The two-sided motherboard also contains 64 Gbytes flash storage and 2 Gbytes external memory split evenly between the HPU and Cherry Trail SoCs.

Really interesting. The HPU could see huge improvements going down to 14nm . They can get the wattage down and still increase performance.

Its also amazing what the device can do with only 2 gigs of ram with windows using 1 gig of it

Last edited:
What is interesting is that it has 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM entirely dedicated to it (which sadly leaves only 1GB left for running the OS and apps..can't wait for HoloLens V2).

no there is 2GB for the OS and apps, the 1GB for the HPU in integrated in the HPU package and not counted there, the Microsoft site / store confirms this

64GB Flash
2GB RAM (2GB CPU and 1GB HPU)

What is interesting is that it has 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM entirely dedicated to it (which sadly leaves only 1GB left for running the OS and apps..can't wait for HoloLens V2).

And
The great thing is since this is at 28nm a drop down to 14/16 should give them a huge boost in battery life. They already reserve 50% of the cores to doing nothing . The drop can focus on power efficiency and any upclocks they can do would be icing on the cake. LPDDR4 and 5 should also improve this quite a lot.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10576/more-details-on-broxton-quad-core-ecc-up-to-18-eus-of-gen9

Broxton should help more too

no there is 2GB for the OS and apps, the 1GB for the HPU in integrated in the HPU package and not counted there, the Microsoft site / store confirms this

64GB Flash
2GB RAM (2GB CPU and 1GB HPU)
That's what I thought at first but apparently no: later in the article:

The unit sits alongside a 14nm Intel Atom x86 Cherry Trail system-on-chip, which has its own 1GB of RAM and runs Windows 10 and apps that take advantage of the immersive noggin-fitted display.

Official HoloLens specs have always listed 2GB of LPDDR3. We now know that half of it is dedicated to the HPU.

That's what I thought at first but apparently no: later in the article:

Official HoloLens specs have always listed 2GB of LPDDR3. We now know that half of it is dedicated to the HPU.

yes your correct if you look at a few posts back , I posted some slides and it lists the same

An AR headset with a wireless gamepad would essentially be a superset of the traditional handheld/smartphone gaming experience (albeit in a far more comfortable heads-up, TV screen sort of way), and that's a pretty proven market. I could easily imagine playing a Mario Maker game on such a headset once the hand tracking is good enough for 1:1 interaction with UI elements.

I don't think those old school Mario games really need super immersion.

They were developed for non HD, '80s era TVs.

Back