Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

That's another naughty video. The content is opaque and edge-to-edge. What's the visibility in the bright sunlight really like?
What do you mean? The contrast? When he is in the Piazza Fontana the sunlight is quite bright. Some of the time it is like british diffuse sunlight but not all the time, that's for sure.. The FOV is a bit narrow though.
Also for now even a PS4 PRO with VR, camera, move etc costs a fraction of a Hololens.
How much do you expect HoloLens to cost when it comes out? I have a friend with VR gear already, he showed videos, shared his impressions..., after purchasing the HTC Vive at a whooping 1000€ aprox. He had been saving for quite a while.

From his impressions I got hyped about VR, and it's expected that PS VR is going to be a hit too. I think each technology has its advantages. From what I see, VR solves any problem related to FOV quite easily, and AR is lighter plus you don't lose sight of your actual surroundings. Additionally, while I wear contact lenses most of the time but I also wear glasses, so I am used to them ever since I was 3 years old -was born shortsighted.

Also for now even a PS4 PRO with VR, camera, move etc costs a fraction of a Hololens.
well about 1/3rd the price . Right now they are selling it to devs and busniesses and it comes with much greater access to ms support than an average consumer would get , the dev kit obviously comes with development tools and support.

What do you mean? The contrast? When he is in the Piazza Fontana the sunlight is quite bright. Some of the time it is like british diffuse sunlight but not all the time, that's for sure.. The FOV is a bit narrow though.
First dew seconds inside, the objects are transparent. At one minute, the objects in bright sunlight are completely opaque and edge-to-edge. That's the render composite and not what's displayed in the HUD.

First dew seconds inside, the objects are transparent. At one minute, the objects in bright sunlight are completely opaque and edge-to-edge. That's the render composite and not what's displayed in the HUD.
ok, I can't check the video again -I could but weather has been so bad, my router fried yesterday's night so I am using tethering via the phone and I have like 1,5GB of data per month in my phone, so you get the idea-, but I am going to take a look at the video again whenever I have my regular connection back.

Maybe pretense is better word here than "naughty" . Also extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary evidence. How all this over-laid, jittery transparency is non eye-strain inducing, is extra-ordinary , to me.

The environment tracking is pretty spectacular. I think in theory an app could learn the room from 3D scanning, with a moment's wandering around building up a 3D space to make it even more accurate.

Kind of cool but the gaming possibilities may be limited.

Certainly doesn't seem to be for performant games, just simple casual ones.

Casual gamers going to wear clumsy HMD for extended periods for cutesy games?

Microsoft has just announced its second generation HPU (Holographic Processing Unit) for HoloLens 2.

Second version of HoloLens HPU will incorporate AI coprocessor for implementing DNNs

The HPU 2.0 will incorporate real-time speech and image recognition so HoloLens 2 won't need to be online connected to handle those tasks.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...incorporate-ai-coprocessor-implementing-dnns/

Today, Harry Shum, executive vice president of our Artificial Intelligence and Research Group, announced in a keynote speech at CVPR 2017, that the second version of the HPU, currently under development, will incorporate an AI coprocessor to natively and flexibly implement DNNs. The chip supports a wide variety of layer types, fully programmable by us. Harry showed an early spin of the second version of the HPU running live code implementing hand segmentation.

The AI coprocessor is designed to work in the next version of HoloLens, running continuously, off the HoloLens battery. This is just one example of the new capabilities we are developing for HoloLens, and is the kind of thing you can do when you have the willingness and capacity to invest for the long term, as Microsoft has done throughout its history. And this is the kind of thinking you need if you’re going to develop mixed reality devices that are themselves intelligent. Mixed reality and artificial intelligence represent the future of computing, and we’re excited to be advancing this frontier.

I think It's always the render composite. Hololens has 0 method of showing you visually what it looks like.

On certain backgrounds the hololens will almost feel like it's projecting opaque. If it's dark enough. But. I suspect the recording version of hololens takes only render composite. The transparency you see might be exactly that, render composite with alpha incorporated as well.

I obviously didn't watch that properly because the 'outside' bits are actually inside. The bright day composites with opaque projections because the bright day itself is on the Hololens screen. That said, it exaggerates the difference between the FOV of reality and these showcases. By presenting the video as filling the scene, I thought it was in a real place and not part of the Hololens. It also presents an amazingly immersive VR like experience that Hololens can't do yet. The video should have shown the quarter-screen window with the AR content in the centre of the room footage.

I obviously didn't watch that properly because the 'outside' bits are actually inside. The bright day composites with opaque projections because the bright day itself is on the Hololens screen. That said, it exaggerates the difference between the FOV of reality and these showcases. By presenting the video as filling the scene, I thought it was in a real place and not part of the Hololens. It also presents an amazingly immersive VR like experience that Hololens can't do yet. The video should have shown the quarter-screen window with the AR content in the centre of the room footage.
It's FOV last I used was shoulder to shoulder slightly spread apart if you stretched arms out.
As for transparency, I think even during render it's always semi transparent. I could be wrong, but I believe it is a safety concern that people could be walking and have their vision obstructed.

I don't actually think MS has gotten to the point that they can record what the eye can physically see through the lens and what's behind it. I could be wrong, but I'm not thinking the probability is high.

Things change of course, it was 2015 for me. It's not almost 2018. By the time it's a consumer product it could be as they show. The software is what they were most concerned with, what's super neat, is that I think earlier I talked about paid hololens museum tours, and this fits right in. Where. You can the exhibit and maybe you enter a room and it comes to life like this. I think would do well

I spent a week at Microsoft training to write software for the Hololens. Can't really share any of the new things they have planned, but it's pretty amazing. There are a few things we'd like to see upgraded but that's for V2.0. All in all, this tech is clearly going to be a popular hardware in the next few years. Definitely will be more practical to use in real world situations than VR.

2x FOV sounds good. Hopefully it's just as good in practice.

The entire front enclosure being made out of carbon fiber makes it sound expensive. Going to guess no consumer version of HoloLens 2 as well. [edit] Yup 3,500 USD per device. So at least the cost hasn't gone up versus the original HoloLens.

The whole thing looks slightly smaller and more compact with some of the components shifted to the back of the unit (back of the head).

Interesting, and a 3rd party partner making their own HoloLens 2 based helmet. A hardhat with HoloLens 2?

Wonder how well the direct manipulation works? That looks very impressive if it works well.

Regards,
SB

No consumer version, business only.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...reality-ar-vr-business-work-features-mwc-2019

That's not a hard hat version. That is a land surveying GPS for field work made by one of the largest GPS companies in the world, Trimble. And I now have to have one. Used to do land surveying for a living. Might get to do it again after 10 years doing GIS.

Tommy McClain

Edit: Bummer, doesn't look like it has survey-grade GPS. They have a GPS product named similarly R10. Fire the product manager for creating too similar product names.

Last edited:
Back