Microsoft drops the "my"

More news: Microsoft decided to include in the EULA that you revoke all your property rights and hand them over to them if you install Windows on your, I mean their computer.

:LOL:

Computer
Documents
Network Places (please change "places"!)

eBooks
Videos
Pictures
Received Files

I'd rather have the My be included just because I'm so used to it, and it also helps distinguish between an OS default folder and some folder that I created. Especially Videos and Pictures. ;)

DiGuru said:
More news: Microsoft decided to include in the EULA that you revoke all your property rights and hand them over to them if you install Windows on your, I mean their computer.

:LOL:

with DRM and Longhorn it will be THEIR computer..... they are just honest :oops: about it....
you wont own shit on your comp.....

Not Your Computer
Network Places under MS control

Documents belong to us
-eBooks(Yor are being watched)
-Videos(Video industry know about every video you play)
-Pictures
-Music(Recording industry knows all)
-Received Files(Big brother is watching)

yap...looks like its time to switch to Linux....

bloody hell if this shit keeps up popping like it is, China will become "Land of Free".....

The My Documents folder was a pretty good idea, if it wasn't abused by loads of applications. It's constantly filled with new "My" folders that I don't care about and if I remove them they'll be recreated the next time you run the app. Not to mention all the apps and games that store their settings there, or simply create a folder just for the heck of it. It's being used as a home-directory replacement, despite that there's already a home directory in Documents and settings\<user name>. Who came up with the folder name "Documents and settings" btw? They couldn't have found a shorter name, like /home?

Humus said:
Who came up with the folder name "Documents and settings" btw? They couldn't have found a shorter name, like /home?
Yeah, having been brought up on UNIX rather than Windows there's something in me that just screams it's sooo wrong to put spaces in directory names...

And then you'll install a couple of old programs that will create "My ..." folders anyway. So you're not only back to square one, you've gone two step backwards, since you'll have one folder with "My ..." and one without. :devilish:

Kind of like mixing Swedish and English SW, where most wants to be installed in "Program Files", and some in "Program".

Humus said:
The My Documents folder was a pretty good idea, if it wasn't abused by loads of applications. It's constantly filled with new "My" folders that I don't care about and if I remove them they'll be recreated the next time you run the app. Not to mention all the apps and games that store their settings there, or simply create a folder just for the heck of it. It's being used as a home-directory replacement, despite that there's already a home directory in Documents and settings\<user name>. Who came up with the folder name "Documents and settings" btw? They couldn't have found a shorter name, like /home?

That's just part of Microsoft's "Aproved for use with MS Windows" program. They say you have to do it like that. Like WHQL drivers.

The "documents and settings" thingy is okay I think. I've used it for a couple years now to collect funny stuff off teh intarweb (whenever you rightclick on a pic in IE and select save target, it defaults automatically to "my pictures". Very convenient actually.

It's the SILLY NAMES that annoy me though. My this and my that. I fuckin KNOW what's mine, I don't need it pointed out to me. And for the nooblars of the world, how can they be sure the "my" refers to them anyway? It's just a bad idea from the start.

I'm sorry but i have to tell u guys...

It took my a while to understand this thing, at first i kept thinking:

"... what? they were going to call it My Longhorn?!! Why!? That didn't make sense anyway! What's a Longhorn anyway, i don't want MY Longhorn... oh wait..."

Guden Oden said:
The "documents and settings" thingy is okay I think. I've used it for a couple years now to collect funny stuff off teh intarweb (whenever you rightclick on a pic in IE and select save target, it defaults automatically to "my pictures". Very convenient actually.

Yeah, it works reasonably well so long as you navigate to it along the right path. Likewise the Desktop. Trying to find files on the Desktop starting at C:/ can be troublesome the first few times you try it!

It's the SILLY NAMES that annoy me though. My this and my that. I fuckin KNOW what's mine, I don't need it pointed out to me. And for the nooblars of the world, how can they be sure the "my" refers to them anyway? It's just a bad idea from the start.

There's some plausible deniability in the scheme of course, you can have a folder called Somebody Else's Pr0n, then when the wife finds it... :)

Back