"Microsoft aims for hack-proof 360"

mesyn191 said:
Eh, not impressed.

The 1st Xbox had security built into it at the hardware level as well (secret boot ROM built into the GPU/NB) as well as a PIC chip on the motherboard to monitor the system and prevent reset exploits and such but hackers still had that thing cracked wide open in about a year after launch.

We'll have to wait and see what the final X360 hardware looks like after some one buys it retail to get an idea if this is just some more BS or not.

The original xbox encryption code was a pain in the ass to hack, I think MS let them in so they could see what these guys could come up with so they could fight back on many levels. I followed xbox hacking and the hackers wasn't getting any where I mean they were dead in the water, then on 3/15/02, James bond 007 nightfire was released and there was a backdoor left open thru a save profile, the hacker wasn't allowed all the way in, but it was there first break thru, in that same year MechAssault had the the same error, a save profile error allowing the hacker "IN" they were able to mess with every thing, MechAssault was develop and published by Microsoft.

deathstar121 said:
The original xbox encryption code was a pain in the ass to hack, I think MS let them in so they could see what these guys could come up with so they could fight back on many levels. I followed xbox hacking and the hackers wasn't getting any where I mean they were dead in the water, then on 3/15/02, James bond 007 nightfire was released and there was a backdoor left open thru a save profile, the hacker wasn't allowed all the way in, but it was there first break thru, in that same year MechAssault had the the same error, a save profile error allowing the hacker "IN" they were able to mess with every thing, MechAssault was develop and published by Microsoft.

interesting info thanks

deathstar121 said:

I don't think that it was done on purpose. In the original release Xbox's there are a few exploits built into the system(the font and audio exploits for 1). You don't even need a game or memory card to use these.

deathstar121 said:

The software cracks came much later in hacking scene.

The hardware and BIOS cracks were done within months of the console's launch by a few people, but the person most responsible was bunnie, and working hardware was available for sale from the old (and I believe now defunct) xboxhackers.net forums in June of 2001. Cost about $50 or so and had a hacked (and illegal) version of MS's BIOS on it. I've still got mine was well as 2 1st gen. Xbox's (which I later found out could be flashed without the mod chip so long as you soldered 1 or 2 points...).

I also got another BIOS mod chip that needs no soldering (pogo pins that you screw down) and has the legal Linux Cromwell BIOS on it too with a flashing module to connect to the parallel port, cost about $70 IIRC and that came out much later...

Here is his worklog right here from Dec. 2001:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/index.html

He wrote a book about it too, here is the link:

http://hackingthexbox.com/

its a good book, lots of info. on hacking hardware in general in it too. He does go over the back story a little in it BTW, and MS had nothing to do with him hacking the Xbox nor did they want him to do it... In fact they were pretty pissed off at him but couldn't sue him under the DMCA act as he had a valid reason to reverse engineer it (his senior thesis was about hardware security IIRC).

Here is bunnie's blog, lots of cool stuff here BTW:

http://bunniestudios.com/blog/

So many crazy hacks and cool stuff here, this guy is insane...

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, i really don't see how "one guy" can just hack his way through with a devkit.
Doesn't MS (and anyone else) know who they give each devkit to? There are so few of them that the easiest thing would be to keep a record of everyone with a devkit - at this stage, only big studios anyway.

I just don't see how someone can get his hands on a devkit, especially this soon.

london-boy said:
...especially this soon.
Really? It's launching in about 2-3 months! Wouldn't they want to get their devkits to as many devs as possible by now? Or is it only for the big boys right now? Seems odd...business-wise!

bRoNx said:
Really? It's launching in about 2-3 months! Wouldn't they want to get their devkits to as many devs as possible by now? Or is it only for the big boys right now? Seems odd...business-wise!

I meant the crackers, not the studios. :smile:

I thought XB360 SDKs were plentiful, with a contrast made between MS providing lots of not-very-accurate kits from the beginning, and Sony providing only a few kits but which weren't too far removed from the final hardware. That's how I understand it anyway.

Seems to me, though, that as long as they keep telling people that they're trying to make it hack-proof, that is amounting to little more than an open challenge to the hackers and modchip folks out there... which will, in effect, accelerate the hacking.

I'm waiting to see the console generation where Microsoft says, "This time, we absolutely guarantee that no one will ever hack the new Xbox! Especially not after Service Pack 28!!!" And of course, there will be modchips available the day before the console comes out.

There are some things that can be done to make it almost impossible to crack... as long as there are no leaks, and no bugs.

But even so, they've spend years on figuring it out. And the basic concept isn't very hard. Just encrypt everything (DEC or better), and have the processor (and memory controller) decode it when it comes in. So, we'll see.

Back