Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Thats not accurate though. Sony was likely negotiating a timed exclusive deal with Bethesda for Starfield, just like they did with Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, both of those games appeared on Xbox a year later. That is not for a generation like you are trying to portray.
True. Timed exclusive for the lions share of Bethesda's output for a generation, which is what I meant to be saying but definitely didn't. Regardless, everyone can see the cause and effect nature of Sony trying to deny Xbox day and date Bethesda games, and Microsoft's response in purchasing Zenimax. This whole generation has been an arms race, more so than usual.

I hope they got a good deal. They worked hard for it.

They should never be forgiven for buying Psygnosis and dooming the CD32.

Yes Commodore would of gone on to dominate gaming for an entire generation with the CD32 and access to Psygnosis's games. I mean their controller was .. erm... revolutionary.

I would have loved to play wipEout on the CD32, would have been awesome....lol

If anyone was still a fence sitter, hedging their bets, this should let you know that this is over.

It was over from the first day of the court case when the Judge was clearly favoring MS and when the FTC chose to focus on COD instead of other factors.

Oh no, here we go again another TEH EV1L S0NY!!! story. :runaway: :runaway:

That's a straw man argument. It's not that he's saying Sony is evil it's that he's rightly pointing out that they are no more virtuous than MS.

I'm fine with any coverage that treats MS and Sony both as the profit-driven corporations they actually are and not taking kid gloves to either.

Sony pressed their advantage as the 2:1 market leader to buy exclusivity on content, as was revealed in the merger-trials, to keep a hammer lock on things like Final Fantasy, COD, and new Bethesda content, to the benefit of their PS brand and shareholders.

MS responded by buying Bethesda and ABK to end Sony's dominance, to the future benefit of the Xbox brand and MS shareholders.

It's all fair game. :)

Hopefully these moves will get the brands to parity where gamers benefit from strong competition. I hope we never return to the arrogance of PS3 and Xbox One.

Last edited:
Yet he number of AAA games from parties other than Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, has far exceeded their output. :unsure:

Sure, because there are more of them. But they (AAA developers and publishers) are also, in recent years, falling over themselves to get out of the business before they become another casualty of AAA game development. Gearbox publishing, sold. Eidos, Crystal Dynamix and Square-Enix Montreal sold off so that Square-Enix Japan could stay solvent. Konami mostly exiting AAA game development. Bethesda sold. Codemasters sold. Bungie sold. Insomiac sold. Funcom sold. Perfect World Enterainment sold (even Chinese AAA publishing houses aren't immune), etc. etc.

Basically, it's almost impossible for a AAA developer to try to remain independent now and it's becoming difficult for even AAA publishers to remain in business. There's rumors that the high cost of current gen AAA development is causing a lot of high AA and remaining independent AAA developers and some of the smaller AAA publishers to start shopping around for a buyer. Selling exclusivity is helping put that off a bit, but it's only a band-aid.

It used to be that AAA publishers would fund development of independent AAA developers for a share of the proceeds. That's becoming increasingly rare nowadays due to the cost of AAA development. Some had already mostly stopped doing it (like ABK).

Regards,
SB

I’m going to disagree with that given the blowback from gamer responses to AAA titles not looking “next Gen enough” and RT failing to meet expectations, and people wanting to see games take full advantage of NVMe speeds. If RT and NVMe combined can’t theoretically make a Ferrari, I really don’t know what else could.

the industry is scaling quite well actually, game studios contract and subcontract more than ever. Developer budgets are larger than ever and we build worlds larger and more detailed than ever before.

Business men understand the industry a lot better than you or I. I’m not sure what you mean by this. There is an upper limit on units sold given the total addressable market. If the market was 5x larger than it is today, there would be 5x more profits. 5x more development studios. Etc. everything would grow on the content production side to coincide with a larger TAM quite simply, if there is money to be made the gaps will be filled until it’s saturated. We saw this with mobile platforms where once these apps became a new market it became a gold rush to produce new apps.

Gaming has been growing, but largely in the mobile sector. AAA gaming is still confined to the same platforms which is why you aren’t seeing more AAA being green lighted.

Acquisitions are going to occur as the market grows. And in turn more developers studios will grow to meet the market growth. And in turn more independent publishers will grow to fund those studios. And then these publishers will be acquired to produce more mega publishers whihc over time will likely be consumed by platform holders.

As far as I can see, this is all par for the course. If cloud gaming does take off without needing hardware, there could be a massive growth in AAA gaming. I still don’t understand or see your argument.
Thats too much for me to spend time replying to, but there is a lot of contradiction between some of your posts, especially when you talk on one hand about scaling very well and on the other pointing the need to merge to be able to sustain the business To point you what I mean with scaling, the first Civic produced is a crappy car compared to a modern Civic. A modern Civic is better in every way. It is a night and day difference. It is a futuristic super car by 80s standards. But production has scaled enough to produce it an affordable price while being 100 times better and be profitable as a business. Cost of games on the other hand, do not enjoy the this, cost of game production increased astronomically and require even more sales per product just to break even.

The mobile sector is irrelevant to this thread.

Regarding businessmen I assure you that the top, barely have any contact with the actual product and production and get more credit than they deserve. The ones that actually keep the business going are the ones who have connection with the production process, the product and serve as middle men between the top and the people who put their blood and sweat. Once the top stops listening those below and act as accountants that make decisions based on the limited information of numbers, the business is going to fail. Guaranteed.

Edit: For example if it wasnt for Bill Gates actually listening to the teams below him pitching the design of the original XBOX and went directly with his idea of Windows box, since XBOX was originally about Windows, it would have sunk like a rock in quick sand.
Same BS happened with Don Mattrick who put aside what actually made the 360 great and went with Bill Gates' original vision of an entertainment Box and Ken Kutaragi stopped listening to anyone under him, calling the shots almost alone for the design and business model of the PS3 and it became a disastrous mess.
The business I was working for, was constantly ignoring game designers suggestions and the artists, and was making decisions with the board of directors, because all they saw were numbers, and our games went to shit.

Last edited:
If Sony were using exclusivity to block content, that's a negative, and I think most here agree on that actually. Although presumably it was just a timed exclusive deal? I don't think Sony is in a financial position to drop a few hundred million on an exclusive.

And yet that is what sony consistently does. And no one says anything about it. No outrage about death loop being exclusive or FF16 or foresaken or what have you. No out rage when Sony pays to lock up exclusive content so even if you pay the same price for the game you are getting an unfinished product on the other platforms like the new harry potter.
Which publisher did they buy? AFAIK they only bought one studio, Psygnosis. And MS bought Rare, and no-one complained. No-one complains about a company entering the market securing some starter-deals.

Psysgnosis was a publisher.

Psygnosis Limited (known as SCE Studio Liverpool or simply Studio Liverpool from 1999)[1] was a British video game developer and publisher headquartered at Wavertree Technology Park in Liverpool. Founded in 1984[1][2] by Ian Hetherington, Jonathan Ellis, and David Lawson, the company initially became known for well-received games on the Atari ST and Amiga.

You're just making stuff up now. Sony operates it internal divisions as separate corporations. Gaming couldn't get hardware cheap as the hardware group would not want to reduce its own profitability. Howard Stringer wanted to change that to vertical integration and corporate synergy. AFAIK that never happened and Sony gaming has to negotiate with Sony electronics to buy components same as any other supplier. If there is any advantage, it's only preferential availability and not in terms of cost.

I'm making stuff up ?

Once when I was talking with Ken Kutaragi [the creator of the PlayStation], he said “Hideki-chan”—he refers to me using the “chan” diminutive—“Hideki-chan, there’s no way you can beat me. Where are you buying your processors? From Hitachi. From Yamaha. What about your CD-ROM drives? You’re buying everything. By buying from Hitachi, Hitachi is profiting. You can’t make anything yourselves. We can make everything ourselves, including custom parts. We have our own factories.” Near Nakashinden, they had a huge factory where they made audio equipment that they were using for the PlayStation. Their cost structure was completely different.

“‘That’s the way it is, Hideki-chan,’ Kutaragi told me. ‘So quit the hardware business. Why not just do software? We’ll give you favorable treatment.’ He wanted us to go third party. We had been going for so long in the hardware business, for better or worse, and to go third party now? We had been half-heartedly successful in America once, and this made it impossible to quit the hardware business.

You can go see the quotes a few pages back about Sony using their music division to secure Final Fantasy and paying for third party exclusives to deal a blow to sega and nintendo they would never recover from. I posted that days ago

And even then, Sony was a hardware company at that point! As a CE manufacturer, they obviously could lean on their strengths. What has that got to do with buying in publishers or studios en masse? What Sony hypocrisy is on show towards MS? I don't see anyone complaining about MS leveraging DirectX, or having an unfair advantage for network developments.
Sony used their profits from other divisions to enter into the market and bought a publisher to do so and never stopped buying up developers and studios. I am not sure how buying 2 publishers vs 1 publisher is buying up publishers en masse. Sony has bought 14 studios in the last 4 years. I'd say that is buying up studios en masse

Again its moving deck chairs on the titanic trying to wave away what sony has always done.

If its okay for Sony to use their influence in other markets to make headway in the video game industry then it would be the same for Microsoft. If you are okay with sony doing it and are upset when MS does it then you are a hypocrite.
And let's not forget Sony entered the market in partnership with Nintendo and were then betrayed. PlayStation only released as a means to exact revenge! Also that a partnership with SEGA for the next-gen platform was declined by both parties.

Lol betrayed. Sony wanted to take over the hardware side of Nintendo and gradually turn Nintendo into a 3rd party like they wanted and succeed in doing with Sega. Unlike hatichi and nec that were willing to sell cd drives and other components Sony wanted to develop and make the whole unit.
It has nothing to do with 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. Sony has done plenty of wrong too and come under criticism as a result. Each good and bad point any corporation has done can be discussed on its merits and comparative place in the market. Or are you saying because Sony required Memory Stick on PSP (MemStick was heavily criticised), MS should be allowed to do whatever it wants without people discussing and comparing the negatives of MS's actions??
The issue I have is that if Sony does something and MS does the same exact thing there are different reactions on this forum. For example , Sony goes out on a buying spree and no one is disagreeable but when Ms does it , its fire and brim stone.

And yet that is what sony consistently does. And no one says anything about it. No outrage about death loop being exclusive or FF16 or foresaken or what have you. No out rage when Sony pays to lock up exclusive content so even if you pay the same price for the game you are getting an unfinished product on the other platforms like the new harry potter.

Psysgnosis was a publisher.

I'm making stuff up ?

You can go see the quotes a few pages back about Sony using their music division to secure Final Fantasy and paying for third party exclusives to deal a blow to sega and nintendo they would never recover from. I posted that days ago

Sony used their profits from other divisions to enter into the market and bought a publisher to do so and never stopped buying up developers and studios. I am not sure how buying 2 publishers vs 1 publisher is buying up publishers en masse. Sony has bought 14 studios in the last 4 years. I'd say that is buying up studios en masse

Again its moving deck chairs on the titanic trying to wave away what sony has always done.

If its okay for Sony to use their influence in other markets to make headway in the video game industry then it would be the same for Microsoft. If you are okay with sony doing it and are upset when MS does it then you are a hypocrite.

Lol betrayed. Sony wanted to take over the hardware side of Nintendo and gradually turn Nintendo into a 3rd party like they wanted and succeed in doing with Sega. Unlike hatichi and nec that were willing to sell cd drives and other components Sony wanted to develop and make the whole unit.

The issue I have is that if Sony does something and MS does the same exact thing there are different reactions on this forum. For example , Sony goes out on a buying spree and no one is disagreeable but when Ms does it , its fire and brim stone.
Twisting and taking history out of context as always.

Edit: Oh and btw there was a magnificent proposal between Sony and Sega of America, of a joint console. But lets ignore this:
Kalinske recalls, “One of the key reasons why I left Sega is when we had the opportunity to work with Sony, when [Sony Interactive CEO] Olaf Olafsson, [Sony Corporation of America president and CEO] Mickey Schulhof and I had agreed we were going to do one platform, share the development cost of it, share the probable loss for a couple years on it, but each benefit from the software we could bring to that platform.”

“I remember we had a document that Olaf and Mickey took to Sony that said they’d like to develop jointly the next hardware, the next game platform, with Sega, and here’s what we think it ought to do. Sony apparently gave the green light to that. I took it to Sega of Japan and told them that this was what we thought an ideal platform would be, at least from an U.S. perspective, based on what we’ve learned from the Sega CD, and our involvement with Sony and our own people. Sega said not a chance. Why would it want to share a platform with Sony?”[ii]
It is important to note here the role that Kalinske served within Sega. He was appointed president of the daughter company Sega of America in 1990 by Sega Enterprises Ltd. president Hayao Nakayama. In this position, he was primarily responsible for the marketing and distribution of Sega’s home consoles in North America and the production of software by local developers. Matters concerning manufacturing, research and development, and the future direction of Sega were largely controlled by the parent company in Japan. As such, it was certainly a bold move to go to Sega’s executives and propose a partnership with one of Japan’s largest electronics manufacturers.

Sega would have benefited from Sony's hardware expertise. Sega has only themselves to blame.

Edit 2:
Psygnosis released games on the Sega Saturn:

But lets ignore that too 🤫

Last edited:
Wonder if its the same contract as the other companies got or if it has marketing rights. Now at the end of all things Sony would be in a weaker position to negotiate because if the deal closes and they have no contract that is it for cod on playstation
I suspect that it will be the same contract they've been walking around with for months.
Personally I think MS should say that was then, this is now and offer revised one.
Maybe something minor like, not allowed to mention COD on PS until after 60 days after release.

I suspect that it will be the same contract they've been walking around with for months.
Personally I think MS should say that was then, this is now and offer revised one.
Maybe something minor like, not allowed to mention COD on PS until after 60 days after release.
I'm not sure , apparently Bobby had offered Jim the marketing rights as well to get the deal done. It was rejected then so I am not sure if Sony ended up with the same contract Nintendo did. I would imagine with the FTC loosing the block and the CMA coming back to the table Sony was at a much weaker negotiating position than prior

I'm not sure , apparently Bobby had offered Jim the marketing rights as well to get the deal done. It was rejected then so I am not sure if Sony ended up with the same contract Nintendo did. I would imagine with the FTC loosing the block and the CMA coming back to the table Sony was at a much weaker negotiating position than prior
I never heard anything about Sony retaining marketing rights. That just sounds crazy to me, even to just get them to sign.

I obviously don't know what was in contract, but it was signed very quickly after the FTC loss which is one of the reasons I would expect it to be the same one.

I think Sony is in a much weaker position and with any deal it should change based on that. But, as I said I reckon MS didn't revise it, just sign and get it over with.
Reckon deal is 10year,
70/30 split(maybe slightly better for Sony than that) ,
everything parity including marketing.

I'm fine with any coverage that treats MS and Sony both as the profit-driven corporations they actually are and not taking kid gloves to either.

Sony pressed their advantage as the 2:1 market leader to buy exclusivity on content, as was revealed in the merger-trials, to keep a hammer lock on things like Final Fantasy, COD, and new Bethesda content, to the benefit of their PS brand and shareholders.

MS responded by buying Bethesda and ABK to end Sony's dominance, to the future benefit of the Xbox brand and MS shareholders.

It's all fair game. :)

Hopefully these moves will get the brands to parity where gamers benefit from strong competition. I hope we never return to the arrogance of PS3 and Xbox One.

I can mostly agree with your general sentiments in this post above.

That's a straw man argument. It's not that he's saying Sony is evil it's that he's rightly pointing out that they are no more virtuous than MS.

I'll disagree with the first sentence though. Eastman has shown throughout this thread a general disdain for Sony and has never missed an opportunity to dump on them, now he has admitted to still being salty and bitter about Saturn not getting a version of Tomb Raider 2. Well the irony is that the developers have previously said that the development of the Saturn version of TR2 was struggling because they were having issues getting the game to run properly on the system and that if development had continued it would likely have compromised the PS and PC versions limited those games. So Sony signing the rights probably saved the vision of the game.

The genius in the way Sony does marketing deals is that you never know if it's for a day or permit exclusivity.
So for the xbox gamer they have to in affect consider it permanent, as if you want to play it who knows if it will ever come.

MS got burned with tomb raider, but instead of in the future just refuse to discuss it regardless of how much they was asked they buckled and never really went that route again. They could've just said only gonna answer once, and the answer is we're not discussing it.

Last gen Sony was really aggressive and when it was clear they had demolished xbox, they never got complacent they kept foot on neck and kept being aggressive to this day. Yes I'm aware of the language I'm using but hopefully people understand what I mean.
I don't see that as bad Sony, I've always been impressed by it. Only couple things I disagree with, but that's just personal views, their not wrong/bad company for doing it.

Back