Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Even outside of the mega hits such as Fortnite, titles (especially IP series) like Uncharted are also much easier said than done. For every Uncharted, Horizon and etc. there's also other much less successful Sony titles. Outside of Naughty Dog with Uncharted and Last of Us you could argue no other studio has even been able to replicate success more than once.

It's easy to just same make a good game and that a good game will be a business success. If there is a formula to it then it certainly is nowhere near a science at this point.

I think Sucker Punch never had a mega hit, but I also think they never had a flop.

As for ND, I think despite big sales, TLoU2 still disapointed Sony's expectations for the title. (probably still made a profit, though)

It's easy to just same make a good game and that a good game will be a business success. If there is a formula to it then it certainly is nowhere near a science at this point.
Titanfall 2 proves this.
I think Sucker Punch never had a mega hit, but I also think they never had a flop.
Would Ghosts of Tsushima count as a mega hit? It sold about 10 million copies IIRC, reviewed well and felt like a big deal when it came out.

Titanfall 2 proves this.

Would Ghosts of Tsushima count as a mega hit? It sold about 10 million copies IIRC, reviewed well and felt like a big deal when it came out.
I did not know Tsushima sold thar well. Yeah, thats was probably cosidered a great success.

Despite a significant part of the court's rationale being redacted, the court firmly dismissed the notion that FTC needs to only offer "probabilistic proof of "likely influence" on competitors. Instead, the court instead found that the FTC is required to provide at least "some evidence—be it direct or circumstantial—that Meta's presence had a direct impact on the enterprises in the applicable market." Crucially, the district court rejected the FTC's methodology to utilize probabilistic economic predictions to affirm that a merger could considerably diminish competition.

Although the district court's opinion in Meta Platforms does not bind the court in Microsoft's case, the case epitomizes a broader trend in jurisprudence; that is, evidence of a merger substantially lessening competition requires concrete proof linked to a specific participant, rather than relying on speculative market forecasts, to sufficiently demonstrate a likelihood of success on the merits.

Second, Microsoft's promise to EU regulators to allow streaming via "any cloud game streaming services," suggests that Microsoft is not only merely complying with regulatory rules, but fostering a competitive landscape within the gaming industry. Ensuring that consumers in EU countries can freely utilize any cloud gaming streaming services underpins Microsoft's commitment to an open and accessible gaming ecosystem. This initiative not only eases the concerns of monopolistic behavior following the Activision merger, but it also solidifies Microsoft's role in promoting fair competition. It both strengthens consumers' trust and reinforces their market position as a good-faith actor within the industry.

Not to create competitors to entrenched market leaders. No-one' ever suggested MS should make a Fortnite-beater or anything! They are suggesting MS creates Sony-like content, Uncharted, Horizon, et al., or other original content, satisfying a niche for titles not well represented by third parties on XB.

Wouldn't making Sony like content like Uncharted , Horizon etc be entrenched market leaders ? Isn't that why people want them ?
R3 crashed and burned. No reason to believe it'd have long legs, especially to challenge COD.
KZ was okay but not massively popular. Guerilla moved on to Horizon which performed far better. On paper it was definitely the better investment
MAG wasn't huge and I think the formula didn't work; no indicator there of a COD challenger.

The only obvious challenger would be SOCOM, but there's no reason to think it would be competitive against COD. It only makes sense in a market where COD doesn't exist and there's a space for a realistic MP shooter. Consider SOCOM sold all of 2-3 M for its best iterations. Rainbow Six sells 10M as a going concern for Ubi, and that's still pale potatoes to COD.

Sony should have kept on plugging away at it until they had success , isn't that what is repeated all the time about what MS should be doing ?

I think its obvious from Sony's strategy that its easier to buy successful developers and fund them while closing unsuccessful studios and killing ip that doesn't take off.

Looking back, MS testified under oath that ES6 is likely to release with the "next gen" consoles. So does that mean Sony would also prefer ES6 to be exclusive to MS next gen consoles in order to prevent MS from getting any details on their next gen console?
Microsoft also testified that none of their first party exclusives would be coming to PlayStation, and that this decision was taken back in 2021 when Microsoft were publicly claiming that each game would be assessed on its merits. More discrepancies between what companies think and what they say they will do.

The only game that was ever on the table to come to PlayStation and Nintendo platforms as an exception was Call of Duty.

The only game that was ever on the table to come to PlayStation and Nintendo platforms as an exception was Call of Duty.
Microsoft offered to keep releasing "popular franchises" on Playstation, and has referred to them as "existing multiplatform titles" as well. It's unclear if that means only IP that's been released on PS4 and 5, or if they say, bring back Hexen or some other dormant IP. But it's more than just Call of Duty.
Here's a link from Feb '22
Microsoft now says that it has "committed to Sony" that "Call of Duty and other popular Activision titles" will be "available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love." The Xbox maker also says it is "interested in taking similar steps to support Nintendo’s successful platform" following its planned $68.7 billion purchase of the megapublisher.
Here's a more complete version of the quote
“To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision,” the company said. “And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love.
And more....
The statements signal that none of the major titles from Activision Blizzard will be exclusive to Microsoft’s Xbox. Instead, Smith said the company’s goal is “to reach every gamer more easily across every platform.”
But if you want something a little more recent
Spencer added he would "continue to stand behind" a January's written agreement pledging to "keep all existing Activision console titles on Sony, including future versions in the Call fo Duty franchise or any other current Activision franchise on Sony, through 31st December, 2027."

Spencer repeated this would include content and feature parity, and promised there would be no "timed-exclusive releases of such content on Xbox consoles." However, he then added, "It is hard to align the principles set out in your email of 26th May, 2022 with Sony's leading role in the market. As I said before, we believe that keeping these titles on Sony, as we did with Minecraft, is the right things for the industry and gamers".

All jokes aside, I do think Sony could have had success with any of those titles, but they did the Sony thing and aimed too high with them.
I don't see that as bad business given the context. Sony weren't after GaaS back then; no-one was. Unlike, say, Fallout '76, that was a mess but constant development has made it somewhat less of a mess (although how profitable is it?), these games were rolled out and, given a low uptake and no plan from the outset to grow them to mammoth proportions because that wasn't a strategy back then, subsequently shelved. In the modern economy, once you have engagement, constant investment seems wiser to grow organically. Although at some point you still might have a duffer and just need to pull the plug. That is, a game either too close to the market leader that it doesn't justify its existence, or one who's USP just doesn't click with the masses. A lot of BR contenders have come and gone because they couldn't compete.
Wouldn't making Sony like content like Uncharted , Horizon etc be entrenched market leaders ? Isn't that why people want them ?
Those games aren't available on Xbox. If they were, there'd be less reason for MS to emulate these titles. Although limited duration single player games have more space in the market for more titles than time-swallowing MMOs.
Sony should have kept on plugging away at it until they had success , isn't that what is repeated all the time about what MS should be doing ?
I love the way your every single argument hinges on a 'hypocritical comparison to MS'. It's always 'Sony are treated differently'...

Why should Sony have stuck at trying to make a successful COD clone instead of cinematic AAA single player titles? COD already served the shooter market while there was an opening to sell single-player titles. That opening gave Sony massive profits and kudos, differentiating their library with some tent-pole IPs. The only reason to think Sony should have stuck with fostering a MMO shooter is to create a COD clone either 1) because they could displace it and get all that money themselve, but the chances of that are ~zero, and 2) for when COD was removed from their platform and, left with a hole, they'd want a title to fill it. What reason was there to think in 2012 that COD would disappear from PlayStations and Sony would need to start working on a COD replacement franchise?
I think its obvious from Sony's strategy that its easier to buy successful developers and fund them while closing unsuccessful studios and killing ip that doesn't take off.
Yes. Those 'successful developers' being ones that have worked on 3 or 4 second-party titles for Sony prior to being bought. And the same way all publishers with in-house studios operate, buying talent and then closing down studios when felt they've 'run dry'.

Microsoft also testified that none of their first party exclusives would be coming to PlayStation, and that this decision was taken back in 2021 when Microsoft were publicly claiming that each game would be assessed on its merits. More discrepancies between what companies think and what they say they will do.

Sorry, I forgot to include a link. Here's just one of many...

A year or two ago, Phil Spencer hinted that it would be exclusive to Xbox. Currently, he will no longer commit to it being exclusive to Xbox. Other sites have mentioned asking him specifically whether or not it will still be exclusive and he's saying that it's now undecided.

So, if you're skeptical of anything anyone says, then it's still going to be exclusive.

If, like me, you believe that under Nadella and Spencer, they'd like to move as many titles as possible to as many platforms as possible, but have to do it carefully to not spook investors into demanding Xbox cease operations because you're making all your titles available on rival platforms, then it's still possible that it'll come to PlayStation.

Regards,
SB

Microsoft offered to keep releasing "popular franchises" on Playstation, and has referred to them as "existing multiplatform titles" as well. It's unclear if that means only IP that's been released on PS4 and 5, or if they say, bring back Hexen or some other dormant IP. But it's more than just Call of Duty.
Here's a link from Feb '22
You're posting what Microsoft was telling the media over a year ago. The court case last week forced Microsoft to disclose documentation from 2021 (following the Zenimax acquisition) that showed Microsoft - actually Phil Spencer - had decided then and there not to release any more first party titles on PlayStation, which Phil Spencer didn't deny in his testimony. You must have missed the rundown on Microsoft's epic bullshittery exposed from that day in court.

To be blunt, what Microsoft was subsequently feeding the media were PR lies.

If, like me, you believe that under Nadella and Spencer, they'd like to move as many titles as possible to as many platforms as possible, but have to do it carefully to not spook investors into demanding Xbox cease operations because you're making all your titles available on rival platforms, then it's still possible that it'll come to PlayStation.
I don't believe that because I believe that Nadella and Spencer still want to make Xbox as profitable as PlayStation by virtue of largely marginalising their competitor and having the bigger closed platform where they can continue to charge licensing fees and take the retailer cut for all digital sales. I.e., tay just want to be a bigger version of Sony. If this is not their aim, then they are f***ing stupid because they should be their aim. Having a profitable closed ecosystem with little competition is a licence to print money.

Look at Apple, Sony and Nintendo. How Microsoft tare f***ing this up so much is the only mystery.

My take on it is that MS is fine going multi-platform as long as GamePass is winning. Right now they want exclusive content for GP, but if GP had 100+ million subscribers they'd probably be fine throwing games on PS6 to make an extra buck. Going forward, as a strategy, I love the idea of Starfield being "free" on GP, but costing Sony PS5 owners $70. Same for the next Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Doom etc....

But that's the difference between renting and owning.

Has the used game market completely cratered? Because you used to be able to recover part of the cost of a game.

Certainly more convenient and instant gratification to download it but you don't have the opportunity to re-sell the game.

Also, it remains to be seen if people want to constantly subscribe to play games. You can binge and finish games but how much time do you have to play in a month with work, school, family, friends, other entertainment, etc.?

It's one thing to binge shows over a couple of days and some people do finish games over a similar timeframe but probably not as many adults with responsibilities.

What are GP subscriber numbers? I thought they'd be ruling the world by now but it doesn't sound like it's swung the console market to MS.

I think when they came up with the idea, they saw Netflix's crazy market valuation because of their subscriber numbers. Well MSFT stock is doing great but it's on the strength of other MS business, not Entertainment and Services or whatever division Xbox is in.

As for ND, I think despite big sales, TLoU2 still disapointed Sony's expectations for the title. (probably still made a profit, though)

TLOU 2 is profitable day one from this Neil Druckmann interview.

I don't see that as bad business given the context. Sony weren't after GaaS back then; no-one was.
I wasn't talking about GAAS at all. Sony only make blockbusters. And that's great if you like blockbusters. I like blockbusters. But not every game has to be that, though. And I think a game like Hellblade, or HiFi Rush, or A Plague Tale, those games are perfectly great as well, even if they didn't have the ridiculous budgets like The Last of Us or God of War. I think Sony could have continued making Days Gone, SOCOM or Killzone and offered more focused experiences that would have been entertaining to play and kept interest in the franchises without a blockbuster budget. But instead they chose to kill those franchises off. And I worry if they put together a string of duds, with those big budgets, that it could put the company at risk.

About the only place I see these more middle size projects from Sony are on PSVR.

On a somewhat related note, people keep saying that Gamepass is full of GAAS games, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Honestly, the reason I subscribed to Gamepass in the first place was because I wanted to play Wolfenstein 2, and having played the first one, I knew that after I finished the single player campaign, I would likely never return to it. The subscription price was less than the game. Well, it was $1 for 3 months I think when I signed up. But I've played mostly single player games, and Back 4 Blood, which has no microtransactions. The only way it's GAAS is that Gamepass is the service, and it's full of games.
You're posting what Microsoft was telling the media over a year ago. The court case last week forced Microsoft to disclose documentation from 2021 (following the Zenimax acquisition) that showed Microsoft - actually Phil Spencer - had decided then and there not to release any more first party titles on PlayStation, which Phil Spencer didn't deny in his testimony. You must have missed the rundown on Microsoft's epic bullshittery exposed from that day in court.

To be blunt, what Microsoft was subsequently feeding the media were PR lies.
I didn't miss anything of the sort. Companies, and the people that run them change their minds. So 2 years ago, they may have had a policy of everything being exclusive. A year later, they were saying something different. Unless things have changed drastically in the last few months, I believe Microsoft owned companies combined have published or developed enough third party games for PS5 that they are in the top 10 by volume. So there are actions that support the change of heart.

I don't see that as bad business given the context. Sony weren't after GaaS back then; no-one was. Unlike, say, Fallout '76, that was a mess but constant development has made it somewhat less of a mess (although how profitable is it?), these games were rolled out and, given a low uptake and no plan from the outset to grow them to mammoth proportions because that wasn't a strategy back then, subsequently shelved. In the modern economy, once you have engagement, constant investment seems wiser to grow organically. Although at some point you still might have a duffer and just need to pull the plug. That is, a game either too close to the market leader that it doesn't justify its existence, or one who's USP just doesn't click with the masses. A lot of BR contenders have come and gone because they couldn't compete.

Those games aren't available on Xbox. If they were, there'd be less reason for MS to emulate these titles. Although limited duration single player games have more space in the market for more titles than time-swallowing MMOs.

I love the way your every single argument hinges on a 'hypocritical comparison to MS'. It's always 'Sony are treated differently'...

Why should Sony have stuck at trying to make a successful COD clone instead of cinematic AAA single player titles? COD already served the shooter market while there was an opening to sell single-player titles. That opening gave Sony massive profits and kudos, differentiating their library with some tent-pole IPs. The only reason to think Sony should have stuck with fostering a MMO shooter is to create a COD clone either 1) because they could displace it and get all that money themselve, but the chances of that are ~zero, and 2) for when COD was removed from their platform and, left with a hole, they'd want a title to fill it. What reason was there to think in 2012 that COD would disappear from PlayStations and Sony would need to start working on a COD replacement franchise?

Yes. Those 'successful developers' being ones that have worked on 3 or 4 second-party titles for Sony prior to being bought. And the same way all publishers with in-house studios operate, buying talent and then closing down studios when felt they've 'run dry'.

Right and if MS buy's ABK then COD and ABK games wont be on playstation unless sony signs an agreement. Even if MS pulls the games after a decade Sony would have had a decade to rebuild those franchises.

At the end of the day all this is about choices each company makes. MS needs more content and content producers and are looking to buy a company that makes that. Sony instead of putting all their eggs in one basket in terms of home grown games they should have supported many genres. After all there are plenty of 3rd person action games already on the playstation and yet sony continues to make those in droves. There are racing games on the playstation and yet sony makes GT.

Well the FTC has taught me this is all about Sony so why wouldn't I bring up sony ?

I mean we are talking about MS having to keep games on sony's platform but I'm not allowed to talk about sony ?

At the end of the day all this is about choices each company makes. MS needs more content and content producers and are looking to buy a company that makes that. Sony instead of putting all their eggs in one basket in terms of home grown games they should have supported many genres. After all there are plenty of 3rd person action games already on the playstation and yet sony continues to make those in droves. There are racing games on the playstation and yet sony makes GT.
Because they are the market leaders. Why stop being number one just because there are numbers two through five below you? the fact you are number one at long jump and pole vault doesn't mean if your team loses their 100 and 200m sprinter, you can just train and become number one at those too. Sony's success in some genres doesn't mean they can succeed to become number one elsewhere. You ask why they closed down studios - to optimise on what they are best at for the biggest dollar ROI, rather than spend money on being an also-ran.

Well the FTC has taught me this is all about Sony so why wouldn't I bring up sony ?

I mean we are talking about MS having to keep games on sony's platform but I'm not allowed to talk about sony ?
There's nothing wrong talking about Sony. The issue is you always claim Sony bias in everything that happens in the world, even when there clearly isn't. Every argument, you claim Sony is treated differently to MS, rather tyhan the two do different things for different reasons with different outcomes and reactions.

Back