Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

But that's the difference between renting and owning.

Has the used game market completely cratered? Because you used to be able to recover part of the cost of a game.

Certainly more convenient and instant gratification to download it but you don't have the opportunity to re-sell the game.

Also, it remains to be seen if people want to constantly subscribe to play games. You can binge and finish games but how much time do you have to play in a month with work, school, family, friends, other entertainment, etc.?

It's one thing to binge shows over a couple of days and some people do finish games over a similar timeframe but probably not as many adults with responsibilities.

What are GP subscriber numbers? I thought they'd be ruling the world by now but it doesn't sound like it's swung the console market to MS.

I think when they came up with the idea, they saw Netflix's crazy market valuation because of their subscriber numbers. Well MSFT stock is doing great but it's on the strength of other MS business, not Entertainment and Services or whatever division Xbox is in.

GP is right around 30 million subs right now, I think. There's not enough content yet to see if it's going to drive sales. That's why MS wants to buy ABK. :)

Even COD alone when you factor in the cost of Xbox Live almost justifies a GP sub. I'll stop believing in GP if MS can get their content to 4-6 AAA games per year on GP and it still doesn't gain traction. Acquiring ABK is their attempt at solving 1/4 of that problem at least.

are we going B3D users to harass him again cause he got caught once? I mean.... People can change, i’m not the same person as I was when I made certain posts.
Nobody harassed him. He is an untrustworthy nitpicky source who adds his own color to pass the impression he wants.

are we going B3D users to harass him again cause he got caught once? I mean.... People can change, i’m not the same person as I was when I made certain posts.

Um, he is literally a paid MS consultant with an obvious and personal bias since the announcement of this merger. Besides getting caught shilling and astroturfing, he has a history of harassing others, making bad faith arguments, and has been called out many times by actual lawyers on his lack of knowledge on laws, especially pertaining to the CMA/UK case. That being said, his personal takes are so clown worthy, I find them amusing when posted. So keep posting them away, I need a chuckle once in a while.

Last edited:
I didn't miss anything of the sort. Companies, and the people that run them change their minds. So 2 years ago, they may have had a policy of everything being exclusive. A year later, they were saying something different. Unless things have changed drastically in the last few months, I believe Microsoft owned companies combined have published or developed enough third party games for PS5 that they are in the top 10 by volume. So there are actions that support the change of heart.
No, they lied. Phil Spencer stated in court that he was sorry that didn't make it clearer that they were taking everything first party exclusive.

And to be clear, he wasn't sorry about not being clearer at all, he is actually sorry about being caught in the lie and Microsoft having to release documents demonstrating this.

No, they lied. Phil Spencer stated in court that he was sorry that didn't make it clearer that they were taking everything first party exclusive.

And to be clear, he wasn't sorry about not being clearer at all, he is actually sorry about being caught in the lie and Microsoft having to release documents demonstrating this.

OK, that's a long transcription of the whole thing. What specifically in there are you trying to point to. I've read through a bunch of it so far, and all it's proving is that MS are feeling incentivized to go multiplatform in the future due to the performance of Bethesda titles going exclusive and the impact that is having on their revenue models.

There are 1-5 case projections with [1] keeping everything the same and [5] making everything exclusive. They are having a difficult time justifying to the Board of Directors that [5] would be worthwhile and would meet the revenue projections of [1] even accounting for potential increases in user base, additional GP subscriptions, etc. Hence, why the ABK deal hasn't even considered [5] since there is no way to meet the revenue projections from case [1] and there would be incredible push back from the Board of Directors. Case [1] makes Microsoft's life easy WRT investor confidence and approval. Case 2-4 make things progressively more difficult while case 5 is impossible WRT the Board of Directors and investors.

IE - yes, back in 2020, [5] was considered and started for Bethesda, but due to pressure from the Board and other area's cases 1-4 are now under consideration. You can likely thank the performance of Redfall for that as I'm sure that really spooked the board (investors). Likely Hi-Fi Rush also nudged MS towards discarding case [5] going forward as it likely also didn't meet projections for case [5] (inclusive of not just revenue, but GP subscription change, install base change, etc.) compared to if it was case [1].

Regards,
SB

Because they are the market leaders. Why stop being number one just because there are numbers two through five below you? the fact you are number one at long jump and pole vault doesn't mean if your team loses their 100 and 200m sprinter, you can just train and become number one at those too. Sony's success in some genres doesn't mean they can succeed to become number one elsewhere. You ask why they closed down studios - to optimise on what they are best at for the biggest dollar ROI, rather than spend money on being an also-ran.

Sony doesn't have to stop being number one but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be providing a diverse portfolio of games. MS is investing big to make a 3rd party mobile store and more content for xbox. Sony needs to change with the times otherwise they wont be market leaders anymore.

Just like Blockbuster didn't want to offer rentals through the mail or streaming content and another competitor passed them by. The same thing will happen with Sony. They can at any time go day and date with their titles. Them closing studios only to buy new studios to make the same 3rd person action games just doubles down on one type of game and leaves them vulnerable to changes in the 3rd party market. This all comes down the choices sony made.
There's nothing wrong talking about Sony. The issue is you always claim Sony bias in everything that happens in the world, even when there clearly isn't. Every argument, you claim Sony is treated differently to MS, rather tyhan the two do different things for different reasons with different outcomes and reactions.

Sony is treated differently than MS

On this site you have people saying MS shouldn't be able to buy 3rd party companies because it hurts competition but when Sony buys a 3rd party company we hear people wax philosophically about how close Sony was to that company and how they both nurtured at the teet of their shared mother or some shit to excuse sony doing it. Even the FTC does it. OH having exclusive skins for COD would make the playstation version worse. The judge so nicely pointed out that it is what Sony is doing now.

It's very simple shifty. If Sony can buy companies up to make exclusive games for them , then MS can do the same thing.

You guys need to decide whether MS bought ABK and Zenimax to make XBOX more competitive or to bring games to more platforms. You cant make a decision, backpedalling between the two arguments

Remember, Xbox is not just the console now. Xbox = all Microsoft games on all platforms. Currently that's mostly just the Xbox console and PC, but games that MS releases on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch are also part of Xbox games.

Changing times where the Xbox console is only a part of Microsoft's plans for the Xbox brand.

Regards,
SB

You guys need to decide whether MS bought ABK and Zenimax to make XBOX more competitive or to bring games to more platforms. You cant make a decision, backpedalling between the two arguments
If they bought it for normal business reasons(I think there are potential others) then they bought it to increase the Gamepass business wherever that might be. So this is beyond your simplistic binary option.

I have no idea what that tweet is supposed to prove. Perhaps twitter's current woes are making it appear differently for me than it is for you or others, but it appears to have no connection to what you or I or anyone else here is talking about. Regardless, we are talking about conflicting statements made more than a year apart, which bears out the statements regarding an evolution of positions regarding exclusives. This position is reenforced by actions. Microsoft has developed or published enough games on PS5 to put them in the top 10 by volume. This new position is also proven by the contacts Microsoft has entered regarding future Activision titles if the deal closes.

If they bought it for normal business reasons(I think there are potential others) then they bought it to increase the Gamepass business wherever that might be. So this is beyond your simplistic binary option.
Remember, Xbox is not just the console now. Xbox = all Microsoft games on all platforms. Currently that's mostly just the Xbox console and PC, but games that MS releases on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch are also part of Xbox games.

Changing times where the Xbox console is only a part of Microsoft's plans for the Xbox brand.

Regards,
SB
Thats again an example of that contradiction. Since XBOX is NOT a console, then the whole argument of being "third" in the console space, needing exclusives doesnt hold, and is another backpedalling between arguments according to how they see fit.

If we can't be clear about what XBox means now, people should make the distinction between MS Consoles and MS Gaming. ;)
Or Xbox Consoles and Xbox Business/Gaming. Etiher way, the qualifier is needed.

Last edited:
Back