Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

friday 13th is a great day to announce it.
The UK CMA aren't expected to make their final (final, final?) decision until 18 October and I think there are still three more countries yet to provide a ruling. It's not impossible, but this isn't looking likely.

Activision said:
"While we do not have plans to put Modern Warfare® III or Diablo IV into Game Pass this year, once the deal closes, we expect to start working with Xbox to bring our titles to more players around the world. And we anticipate that we would begin adding games into Game Pass sometime in the course of next year."

This is a baffling thing to say, it's almost like there is no understanding in Activision that once Microsoft acquire them, Activision aren't a "we" individual from Xbox. They will be Microsoft and Xbox. It's unclear if this is intended to temper expectations for some titles appearing on Game Pass in slower time (on PC perhaps), or if it's just delusional. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a baffling thing to say, it's almost like there is no understanding in Activision that once Microsoft acquire them, Activision aren't a "we" individual from Xbox. They will be Microsoft and Xbox. It's unclear if this is intended to temper expectations for some titles appearing on Game Pass in slower time (on PC perhaps), or if it's just delusional. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I believe they will be. If I understand the deal correctly, in many ways Activision will be a separate company that Microsoft owns and controls. This is also how Bethesda is, which is why many press events are branded as "Xbox+Bethesda" and not just Xbox. This is how it works on paper, anyway. IIRC how it worked with Zenimax was that the board of directors was dissolved and Microsoft basically replaced their role. So instead of the board of directors/Zenimax telling Bethesda they had to do something, Microsoft does via it's chain of command.

There is still a Bethesda, and therefor a "We at Bethesda", and if I understand the way this deal is structured, there will still be a "We at Activision" as well.

Yes, as See Colon mentions, they'll still be a semi-autonomous entity like Bethesda. So, Microsoft will have Microsoft Game Studios, Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard under their umbrella each with their respective stable of development studios.

It's also to temper expectations since some COD titles will still be contractually prohibited from appearing on Game Pass due to the exclusivity contracts that they had with Sony.

Regards,
SB

I believe they will be. If I understand the deal correctly, in many ways Activision will be a separate company that Microsoft owns and controls.
Good point, as you say like Bethesda and the Sony/Bungie arrange. And this may be a necessary approach in order for Microsoft to delver the separation that they've committed to the UK CMA.

There is still a Bethesda, and therefor a "We at Bethesda", and if I understand the way this deal is structured, there will still be a "We at Activision" as well.
Studios retaining their own creative identity is fine, it was the dissonance that Activision would work with Xbox. It will be interesting to see how far this separation goes, but if they report to Phil Spencer, they're part of Xbox.

Yes. It's just smoke and mirrors IMO. MS sees value in maintaining all these brands for now, but that could change in a heart beat if the Xbox brand continues to improve.

Studios retaining their own creative identity is fine, it was the dissonance that Activision would work with Xbox. It will be interesting to see how far this separation goes, but if they report to Phil Spencer, they're part of Xbox.

I don't know if we should be reading too much into that. A lot of Activision's current games are GAAS and tightly integrated with existing online services/platforms and may require substantial backend changes and validation. They aren't straight SP games that would be trivial to shift over to Game Pass.

Not to mention possible existing contractual issues such as how microtransactions impact crossplay and crossplatform deals.

I trust the cynics accept that it was never about making excuses to block the deal at all costs on some ideology, and the CMA was genuinely operating in good faith on what it felt an important emergent market that needed protecting as per their remit.

Yeah, I know, the cynics still gonna believe what they want to believe. CMA wanted to block as dictated by the FTC, felt they couldn't seeing their FTC overlords were fumbling, now they are just saving face...

Last edited:
Thank you Jason! It's just what I wanted! LoL 🤣

Supposedly the deal should be finished by 9am Eastern or 2pm UK time. Activision stocked stopped trading at 7:50pm Eastern time last night.

Can't wait for the flood of ABK titles coming to Game Pass. Who knows I might try COD for the first time ever.

Half of the James Corden double act, Bobby Kotick, is going at the end of the year. He's presumably sat with his feet on the desk right now, wondering how he can spend his golden parachute.

Remember this key moment: it'll be in the introduction of the documentary on how the xbox project failed.

Probably: "It all started as a pet project, and for its pet Microsoft bought a lot of toys..."

Back