Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

I just think it's strange that everyone is buying that the CMA actually cares about Cloud. This is just an excuse to block MS from acquiring ABK in a way that won't bring Sony into the mix. IMO it's extremely naïve to take this at face value when it's so obvious that it can't be the reason. It's bullshit guys. The CMA didn't want this to happen. Period. They first tried to block on the console side and then MS offered COD to everyone under the sun for 10 years, so that approach failed. Now they're claiming Cloud power is the reason. It's hilarious. I don't buy it for a second.

Why would CMA care about protecting Sony specifically?

Apparently according to some people, Sony used their secret UK goverment connections to bias them in favor of Sony even though they didn't even block the deal on behalf of Sony and the CMA isn't even a governmental body but an independent institution 😂

It can't be that the CMA and the FTC dont approve of corporate consolidation of that size or don't believe they can fully regulate the markets involved to make the merger "safe" at the scale of everything involved. It's just a conspiracy against Microsoft for some reason. Because people are emotionally invested in the deal going through at all costs and MS getting a "win" and don't care/want to hear about any of the contrary arguments.

MS dwarfs Sony in market cap.

You would think MS has more financial ties in the UK than Sony. MS has probably all kinds of government contracts over there, not to mention all the different products and services they offer.

Sony, maybe they make movies and TV shows over there? Or have some UK musicians under their label?

You would think MS has more financial ties in the UK than Sony. MS has probably all kinds of government contracts over there, not to mention all the different products and services they offer.

Sony, maybe they make movies and TV shows over there? Or have some UK musicians under their label?

They likely do have more government contracts and all the products they deliver , that is why if the UK is the last one standing saying no they will quickly reverse course and start saying yes.

I have no idea how big sony's foot print is but they do have about a 3rd of the music industry and a decently sized pot of television/movies However you wouldn't really need to out spend someone else you just need to find people who oppose your opponents and back them.

Guess we will know next week what the EU says. If they say yes then I see Ms going through with the deal and closing. FTC will loose in court esp if they conspired with the CMA to block the deal.

Why would CMA care about protecting Sony specifically?

It's not that they all love Sony (although that one CMA guy certainly did), it's that they hate MS and Sony benefits.

To be real: I expect Sony and MS to bullshit (spin things) to the CMA, but the CMA is supposed to be an independent body that is above all that and protecting consumers and they really aren't either of those things right now.

Microsoft said they didn't see Call of Duty as being important either, but when the CMA presented with all parties with the option to remove that title for approval, nobody was interested. Something does not add up. CoD isn't my thing but you can't deny the influence it has, nor the numbers of copies it sells relative to competitors.

On the principle about approving the deal to improve the availability of titles on platforms on which they are not currently supported, this is outside the scope of the assessment criteria of both the UK and EU processes. The processes are very specific and trigger when there is an assessment that competition will be reduced or made more difficult. Making certain Activision-Blizzard games available to more people via streaming is not isn't a relevant factor.
I agree it looks like hypocritical argument in which you say correctly "you say it's not important, but you won't go without it"
It's a big game without a doubt, but I would look at that and ask if, it being important to MS is the same thing as being important to the industry; the latter is what they need to regulate.

MS has a lot of issues they need to solve here, namely, they need to be able to release 1 banger a year, ideally 1 banger a quarter, to stay relevant in the gaming market. And if you have COD, whether it is truly a "critical input" or not, you know you're putting out at least 1 banger per year, so you need only 3 others to fill in the other quarters.

That's how I would look at it, and so, it's understandable while they recognize it's not this incredible IP that will win you the industry, but COD would pretty much fill in 25% of their requirement for releasing a solid 'AAA' title, which you and I can agree that as of this moment, are struggling to do. It could very well save the core of their business, cause without Bethseda, they launched nothing in the form of AAA games this year or last (2022: nadda. 2023: Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, Starfield). It's quite a painful process they are having to go through right now to setup and deliver on that pipeline of games.

To me, that's why it's worth fighting for this merger for MS. They have more studios than ever, but they've got to learn all the lessons that come with having such a big portfolio of studios, and it takes time, mistakes are made that need to be learned from, these are all issues with experience. And if you're not confident that you'll be able to hit on all your goals, then I think having COD is definitely what you need to ease investor concerns about Xbox.

They have dropped from their list of moves, buying exclusivity. It appears outside of some timed exclusivity, they won't go there anymore. So they really do need to build everything, and that's not something easy to do on a dime.

Last edited:
It's not that they all love Sony (although that one CMA guy certainly did), it's that they hate MS and Sony benefits.

To be real: I expect Sony and MS to bullshit (spin things) to the CMA, but the CMA is supposed to be an independent body that is above all that and protecting consumers and they really aren't either of those things right now.
Where do you base these claims other than from assumption?

Well. We know MS blatantly have far more ties in the US. Hence why we see so much funding in politicians pocketbooks recently in Congress, and they just so happen to start advocating for "competition" in the gaming industry and more benefits for Microsoft. these fossils who don't even know what a video game is 😂 luckily the FTC is also against the deal

I agree it looks like hypocritical argument in which you say correctly "you say it's not important, but you won't go without it"
It's a big game without a doubt, but I would look at that and ask if, it being important to MS is the same thing as being important to the industry; the latter is what they need to regulate.

MS has a lot of issues they need to solve here, namely, they need to be able to release 1 banger a year, ideally 1 banger a quarter, to stay relevant in the gaming market. And if you have COD, whether it is truly a "critical input" or not, you know you're putting out at least 1 banger per year, so you need only 3 others to fill in the other quarters.

That's how I would look at it, and so, it's understandable while they recognize it's not this incredible IP that will win you the industry, but COD would pretty much fill in 25% of their requirement for releasing a solid 'AAA' title, which you and I can agree that as of this moment, are struggling to do. It could very well save the core of their business, cause without Bethseda, they launched nothing in the form of AAA games this year or last (2022: nadda. 2023: Hi Fi Rush, Redfall, Starfield). It's quite a painful process they are having to go through right now to setup and deliver on that pipeline of games.

To me, that's why it's worth fighting for this merger for MS. They have more studios than ever, but they've got to learn all the lessons that come with having such a big portfolio of studios, and it takes time, mistakes are made that need to be learned from, these are all issues with experience. And if you're not confident that you'll be able to hit on all your goals, then I think having COD is definitely what you need to ease investor concerns about Xbox.

They have dropped from their list of moves, buying exclusivity. It appears outside of some timed exclusivity, they won't go there anymore. So they really do need to build everything, and that's not something easy to do on a dime.
Taking random quotes out of content is where the issue lies. MS never said that COD was not important in every situation. They have only said that isn't their primary reason for buying it (king mobile stuff is) and that COD isn't important as an exclusive. But obviously COD is a huge part of Activisions revenue and so its important financially to making the deal work.

The reason for MS to fight for this purchase is because if they don't the UK can block everything by pointing at cloud. But also because they will gain a huge amount of relevant IP and teams to continue making those big IPs

Only more reasons for the UK to 'diverge' from the EU if true. The CMA wouldn't have ever accepted the idea of the EU Commission enforcing behavioural remedies on their behalf because they simply don't agree and the CMA absolutely can't trust them to make decisions in the interest of the UK market ...
Had the Commission also had to consider the UK market, that would be a slightly different assessment although it may not have changed anything regards the final EU assessment. The UK sets out its international trade and technology policies periodically and it mostly refreshed what is called the 'Integrated Review' in March. This long-term strategy documents prioritises technology as a key objectives for Government, industry and academia. Government will influence the behaviour of the later via various incentives, such as tax benefits and grants.

The EU position is more muddied. As a whole, there are great chunks of the EU with really poor telecommunications infrastructure and where countries have different industrial priorities. A consequence of this, is when you look at the impact across the Union as a single territory, the whilst the impact of a acquisition like this in counties like France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain might be relatively high, when you toss in the other member states, it kind of balances out. There is always a challenge with any federation of parties where there is diversity. For years, regional parliaments in Belgium, representing Belgian farmers, prevented the EU-Canada free trade agreement being signed because they felt it would disadvantage then. Federations are hard and it means taking the rough with the smooth.

I don't buy this. Microsoft are the biggest software company in the world and have had dozens and dozens of teams delivering products for decades. All of these teams have the benefit of working for the company that makes the development tools, APIs and for console, the hardware, that they work with. They have every advantage in the world.

If Microsoft are no longer bidding for marketing exclusives, or third party exclusives, this removes options from them in a market in which they admit that they are struggling to compete in. It also makes it easier for Nintendo and Sony to carry on doing this to maintain their market positions. I don't understand why any company would take competition options off the table. Why make things harder for yourself? :???:

Where do you base these claims other than from assumption?
AFAICS that entire argument is, "the Jury ruled differently to me; therefore they are all probably on the take."

But then we see that typically on discussion boards. "Here's my logical reasoning. That person disagrees with me. Ergo they must be an illogical, blind fanboy." Sometimes they are, but sometimes they just see thing differently.

That's how some people's brains work, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UK further restricts Microsoft and Activision merge

In the interim order, the CMA wrote it was "preventing pre-emptive action" from Microsoft or Activision Blizzard.

The order prevents the businesses from acquiring an interest in each other, including their subsidiaries, or businesses that themselves have interest in the companies.

For example:

• Activision Blizzard could not invest in Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios
  • Microsoft could not invest in Activision Blizzard subsidiaries such as King, the studio that makes hit mobile game Candy Crush Saga

The order states the companies should "immediately notify the CMA" if they have "any reason to suspect" the order has been breached.

CMA ain't f-ing around! The bold is telling, or at least they suspect something has happened behind the scenes that shouldn't have occurred.

A Microsoft official told BBC News: "We remain firmly committed to this deal and look forward to presenting our case to the Competition Appeal Tribunal."

Good luck with that!

Last edited:
Back