Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Actual data of games available says otherwise and was presented to the regulatory agencies.
Been available don't mean be the best seller and be the main target of the switch, If you take the top 20/30 of the game best sales on Nintendo Switch there will be mostly Nintendo games and mostly family game. If it was the case we can say than Sony and MS have family game but if you see out of Minecraft or Roblox the best seller are games for teenager or adult.

List of best selling Switch game

I think one example was Bayonetta 3, which may have been a popular seller.

Bayonetta 3 sold a bit better than Bayonetta 2 that sole 1.04 million.

This is a best seller on Switch and the last Pokemon sold more than 10 million in 3 days. We are far above the number of copy sold by mature games...

List of best-selling Nintendo Switch video games
No.TitleCopies soldAs ofRelease date[a]Genre(s)Developer(s)Publisher(s)
1Mario Kart 8 Deluxe48.41 million[4]September 30, 2022April 28, 2017Kart racingNintendo EPDNintendo
2Animal Crossing: New Horizons40.17 million[4]September 30, 2022March 20, 2020Social simulationNintendo EPDNintendo
3Super Smash Bros. Ultimate29.53 million[4]September 30, 2022December 7, 2018FightingNintendo
4The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild27.79 million[4]September 30, 2022March 3, 2017Action-adventureNintendo EPDNintendo
5Pokémon Sword and Shield25.37 million[4]September 30, 2022November 15, 2019Role-playingGame Freak
6Super Mario Odyssey24.40 million[4]September 30, 2022October 27, 2017PlatformerNintendo EPDNintendo
7Super Mario Party18.35 million[4]September 30, 2022October 5, 2018PartyNDcubeNintendo
8Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl14.92 million[4]September 30, 2022November 19, 2021Role-playingILCA
9Ring Fit Adventure14.87 million[4]September 30, 2022October 18, 2019Nintendo EPDNintendo
10Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!14.81 million[4]September 30, 2022November 16, 2018Role-playingGame Freak
11Pokémon Legends: Arceus13.91 million[5]September 30, 2022January 28, 2022Action role-playingGame Freak

The streaming market isn't the videogames market it is not useful to compare it. There is no Netflix or Disney plus. The console market is clear this is Sony against MS. Nintendo is on another segment of the market. For example if Sony had the power to buy Take Two they could let MS buy Activision Blizzard and Sony could say ok take your franchise exclusive and you will never see a GTA on your platform again or vice versa.

We speak about a competitor who is able to buy anything and another one poor compared to MS. Out of a share exchange I don't think Sony can buy something more than 5/6 billion dollar.
Of course the streaming market isn't 100% analogous to the video game market. But again, this is about market share and regulatory scrutiny. Honestly, I don't care that it was Sony that purchased Crunchyroll and Funimation, only that a market is allowed to consolidated without regulatory scrutiny in one case, and much more scrutiny in another.

And Sony wouldn't have to acquire Take2 to make GTA a Playstation exclusive. The series was exclusive in the past. And rumors suggest that 6 will be a timed exclusive as well.

And boohoo. Sony is so broke they can only buy $5 Billion companies.

also
Nintendo is not important because it is on another segment of the market and the CMA agree with me.
Compared to Crunchyroll, Netflix and Disney plus are in another segment of the market. And if Nintendo were to buy Activision, would the regulators get involved? Why would Sony's objections matter if Nintendo is in it's own little space. Or do these special market segments only matter sometimes.

Of course the streaming market isn't 100% analogous to the video game market. But again, this is about market share and regulatory scrutiny. Honestly, I don't care that it was Sony that purchased Crunchyroll and Funimation, only that a market is allowed to consolidated without regulatory scrutiny in one case, and much more scrutiny in another.

And Sony wouldn't have to acquire Take2 to make GTA a Playstation exclusive. The series was exclusive in the past. And rumors suggest that 6 will be a timed exclusive as well.

And boohoo. Sony is so broke they can only buy $5 Billion companies.

also

Compared to Crunchyroll, Netflix and Disney plus are in another segment of the market. And if Nintendo were to buy Activision, would the regulators get involved? Why would Sony's objections matter if Nintendo is in it's own little space. Or do these special market segments only matter sometimes.

Again Netflix and Disney plus and Amazon Prime are competitor of Sony anime stuff. Anime are more and more popular if they want to buy the right of some anime giving more money than Sony they can and they did it. Sony is not a the only producer of anime.

Sony isn't broke but no deep pocket like GAFAM company. There is a reason regulator have eyes on this company not only Microsoft.

There are better rumor than believe than GTA 6 will be temporary exclusive to PS5. :ROFLMAO: They have the marketing right for sure, this is the reason the first PS5 showcase began by a PS4 GTA video saying we continue our partnershup with Rockstar game. When Sony bought the exclusivity of GTA 3 it was cheap and it was before the franchise become very popular.

Define "cheap".

Ex-SCEE boss David Reeves has told Eurogamer the exclusivity deal for Grand Theft Auto III on PlayStation 2 was "remarkably cheap".

A deal was sorted at a private showcase between Reeves, SCEE founder Chris Deering and third-party publishers in LA.

"The last meeting of the day was with Kelly Sumner [ex-Take Two boss]," said Deering.

"We picked up something called State of Emergency, which I don't think would have been on Xbox anyway. Then I said, 'What else have you got?'

"And they said, 'Well, we've got this Grand Theft Auto game... I suppose we could do a deal on that.'

"Our technical people had said GTA III was not bad. It was innovative, but not a monster. I had just heard it was good. So I said, 'OK."

Reeves says the deal wasn't done in a formal matter, but with beers instead.

No exact details were given on the deal.

Nintendo is not important because it is on another segment of the market and the CMA agree with me. When you see the Blockbuster of Switch they are targeting the family market much more than Sony and MS.

But Sony can't buy Take Two they aren't have business making enough money to do it. Only Microsoft or any other member du GAFAM can buy it maybe Tencent but if there is a bid war I don't think they can compete against a GAFAM company. For example when Bethesda was on the market it was too expensive for Sony, the biggest interest comes from MS and I heard Amazon and MS outbid Amazon.

I think if a platform holder try to buy Take Two the regulator will come to scrutinize the deal. It is the case for the 4 or 5 bigger publisher.

Nintendo is part of the console market no matter how much CMA trys to twist things. They sell console hardware and there are a lot of kids that own xboxs and playstations. If that is what the CMA is basing things on then they are dumber than I thought.

If sony can't buy take two then that sounds like a sony problem. Sony has no problem opening up their wallet for companies. Maybe instead of buying dozens of companies they should buy a single larger company.

In 2022 Sony has bought Savage game studios , right stuf , repeat.gg , bungie , haven , lasengle , ultra records

in 2021 they have bought Valkyrie entertainment , bad wolf , som livre , bluepoint games , fabrik games , firesprite, crunchyroll , nixxes , house marque , somethin' else , evo , awal

So don't cry a river for sony , they can buy lots of stuff.

Also you might want to get check out for your take two obsession

Again Netflix and Disney plus and Amazon Prime are competitor of Sony anime stuff. Anime are more and more popular if they want to buy the right of some anime giving more money than Sony they can and they did it. Sony is not a the only producer of anime.

Sony isn't broke but no deep pocket like GAFAM company. There is a reason regulator are scrutinize more and more this company not only Microsoft.

Do you see how this makes zero sense ?

Are there childrens games on the playstation ? are there adult games on nintendo platforms ? if the answer is yes then they are competiting with each other in the same way that Disney plus and Amazon prime have some anime on their platform and they compete with Sony's anime stuff.

You can't have it both ways.

Bayonetta 3 sold a bit better than Bayonetta 2 that sole 1.04 million.

This is a best seller on Switch and the last Pokemon sold more than 10 million in 3 days. We are far above the number of copy sold by mature games...

It's funny but I am a 40 year old adult who owns a switch and I also own 6 of the top 10 games on the switch platform. I also have no children. how can that possibly be ?

It's funny but I am a 40 year old adult who owns a switch and I also own 6 of the top 10 games on the switch platform. I also have no children. how can that possibly be ?

If you like the Nintendo this is not a problem but at the end most of the games are family friendly and can be played by anyone, player of all age and people with children too not like Resident Evil for example or Callisto protocol or God of war or Gears of War.

Compared to Sony and MS exclusive there is much more family friendly games and they are on the top of the sales not God of war Ragnarok or Gears of War like games charting high on Switch.

If you like the Nintendo this is not a problem but at the end most of the games are family friendly and can be played by anyone, player of all age and people with children too not like Resident Evil for example or Callisto protocol or God of war or Gears of War.

Compared to Sony and MS exclusive there is much more family friendly games and they are on the top of the sales not God of war Ragnarok or Gears of War like games.
but you understand that those games still compete with playstation and xbox. When a person goes into the store to buy a console they will look at all 3

but you understand that those games still compete with playstation and xbox. When a person goes into the store to buy a console they will look at all 3

No they aren't competing with the sheer number of mature game on PS5 and Xbox. Many gamers know they don't want to buy a Switch or a Xbox/PS console. Some want to have all type of game and buy a PS/Xbox plus a Switch. Some gamer buy switch for children and play on PS/Xbox or PC.

Like CMA said this is not the same market segment. If I remember well there is more girl/woman playing on Switch than other consoles for example and more children too.

Honestly, I don't care that it was Sony that purchased Crunchyroll and Funimation, only that a market is allowed to consolidated without regulatory scrutiny in one case, and much more scrutiny in another.
It does seem as if the thought was "its only cartoons" and when the Discovery/WB merged it was "its only movies". That right there makes it ludicrous that so much attention is being paid to MS/ABK since "its only games".

Stu do you not remember posting this ?

You are the one who put forth the premise that since these studios were most linked with sony at some period of time that it was okay that sony bought them. I simply brought up reasons why Bethesda and Activision were linked with MS.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If you dislike the logical conclusion of your premise perhaps rethink your premise.
Thank you eastmen for the copy/paste, I know and understand what I posted. You on the other hand ..:no:

So I will explain it more simply for you. Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sucker Punch were all 2nd party developers working on Sony owned IPs. Yes they developed games for other companies/platforms, however so did xbox studios like Rare and Ninja Theory before microsoft bought them up. Bungie also developed games on other platforms before microsoft bought them and tried (unsuccessfully) to turn them in Halo-studio.com. Sony and these developers liked working together and enjoyed a close relationship with Sony's internal studios ( SIE Santa Monica etc) and it felt natural to be part of the SIE family. Microsoft are just merely gobbling up publishers because they are desperate.

My simple question is to you is .. If the Microsoft/Bethesda/Activision business relationship is the same as the Sony/Naughty Dog/ Insomniac etc relationship (like you claim), then what microsoft owned and published IPs did either Activision or Bethesda develop in a 2nd party relationship with microsoft? (Not counting Starfield or any other Bethesda game released after microsoft bought them)

Not that i agree ir disagree with that logic but this sounds like binding the reality to fit narrative. If we say that Nintendo do not compete with Sony and Msft so we can also say that Sony don’t compete with Microsoft becouse they are focusing more on big AAA movie like games with super hero’s. While msft is focusing on PC/Xbox mixed market with more mixed content for everyone.

But the end result is I have so many hours per day to play and I will spend it playing on PlayStation Xbox switch or pc.

Thank you eastmen for the copy/paste, I know and understand what I posted. You on the other hand ..:no:

So I will explain it more simply for you. Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Sucker Punch were all 2nd party developers working on Sony owned IPs. Yes they developed games for other companies/platforms, however so did xbox studios like Rare and Ninja Theory before microsoft bought them up. Bungie also developed games on other platforms before microsoft bought them and tried (unsuccessfully) to turn them in Halo-studio.com. Sony and these developers liked working together and enjoyed a close relationship with Sony's internal studios ( SIE Santa Monica etc) and it felt natural to be part of the SIE family. Microsoft are just merely gobbling up publishers because they are desperate.

My simple question is to you is .. If the Microsoft/Bethesda/Activision business relationship is the same as the Sony/Naughty Dog/ Insomniac etc relationship (like you claim), then what microsoft owned and published IPs did either Activision or Bethesda develop in a 2nd party relationship with microsoft? (Not counting Starfield or any other Bethesda game released after microsoft bought them)

The relation between MS and Bethesda is good Skyrim and Morrorwind were temporary or fully exclusive to Xbox after the relation between Xbox and Acivision is a normal relationship.

Not that i agree ir disagree with that logic but this sounds like binding the reality to fit narrative. If we say that Nintendo do not compete with Sony and Msft so we can also say that Sony don’t compete with Microsoft becouse they are focusing more on big AAA movie like games with super hero’s. While msft is focusing on PC/Xbox mixed market with more mixed content for everyone.

But the end result is I have so many hours per day to play and I will spend it playing on PlayStation Xbox switch or pc.

Sony exclusives are one thing, third party are other thing and the big commercial success are nearly the same on PS/Xbox from third party side.

I'm not sure this will satisfy you, but here's a sort of related section of a recent interview with Todd .

No they aren't competing with the sheer number of mature game on PS5 and Xbox. Many gamers know they don't want to buy a Switch or a Xbox/PS console. Some want to have all type of game and buy a PS/Xbox plus a Switch. Some gamer buy switch for children and play on PS/Xbox or PC.

Like CMA said this is not the same market segment. If I remember well there is more girl/woman playing on Switch than other consoles for example and more children too.
You know some gamers buy a switch and play games themselves. You do understand that right ? You also understand that some gamers buy a playstation or xbox for children and never once touch it.

CMA can say what they want but that doesn't make it true.

You sure because you still don't seem to understand what you posted .

So these studios were independent making games for another company's platform. Last I checked that is exactly that Bethesda and Activision did. Bethesda and Activision are both closely linked with Microsoft platforms. So why is it okay for Sony to buy those studios but not MS to buy these other studios ?

Todd Howard has already talked about his close relationship with Microsoft and how Microsoft is the company who brought them to consoles with morrowind.

I find it hilarious how you wax poetically about sony buying companys and then say that MS is desperately gobbling up publishers.

Recently Microsoft has bought Zenimax , Double fine , Obsidian , Inxile , Playground , Compulsion and Ninja theory since 2018. They are in the process of buying Activision

Sony has bought Audiokinetic , Insomniac , Evo , Somethin'Else , housemarque , nixxes , Firesprite , fabrik , bluepoint , valkyrie , lasengle , haven , bungie , repeat.gg and savage games.

So MS has bought / in process of buying 8 companies

Sony has bought 15 companies.

Of course its MS gobbling up everything. I 'd love to hear you wax poetically about Sony's releationship with fabrik or savage games

I think you have a fundamental problem when you converse to me. I actually don't have a problem with either company buying publishers. I think its fine for both of them to do it and I haven't complained about either company doing it. My position is simply that if the Market leader is allowed to buy up publishers with no over sight ( and they bought up 15 companes in 4 years) then MS who has sold half the consoles that Sony has sold should be able to buy companies to improve their position in the market and that it makes sense that MS goes after more established companies with strong ip because sony already has a lot of strong ip and is adding more developers so MS not only has to grow to get to where sony was but grow faster to catch up to sony.

At the end of the day Sony/MS/Nintendo having equal market share or as close to equal market share as possible is the best thing for us. It's the same on the pc side. IF epic / steam / gog / xbox and whatever all have as close to equal shares as possible its a good thing for us as a consumer.

Back