Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

There is hardly any gameplay here to judge anything :LOL: ! And since the story is going back to the old days, old mechanincs are bound to re appear! So, you think that people should not crawl on the ground anymore ?
Its like saying Snipers should not wear camouflage anymore as we have been seeing that in every game ! ;) oh, he still using a scope , so old !

Crawling is Snake basic mechaninc, like walking in an fps, it not gonna go away. Its the reason he is called Snake, cause he crawls on the ground like one.
I am sure there will be new mechanincs, every MGS had something new to its gameplay, this will too.

I didn't say that crawling shouldn't be part of MGS basic core mechanic. Other than showing me that the new MGS is playable in some form, I just don't see the point of displaying gameplay with nothing more than crawling past search lights. Its analogous of Rockstar showing off a new GTA with a cutscene and followed by a gameplay component showing the protagonist simply opening car doors. Or PD showing off GT6 with a car driving in a straight line.

I get that the main purpose of the demo was to show off how nice and shiny MGS will be visually. But if you are going to stick some gameplay in there, throw a bone to those of us who don't find graphics all that important and show something new. Crawling was used in the first gameplay trailer for MGS4, but so were a host of other gameplay features that were new to the game.

I didn't say that crawling shouldn't be part of MGS basic core mechanic. Other than showing me that the new MGS is playable in some form, I just don't see the point of displaying gameplay with nothing more than crawling past search lights. Its analogous of Rockstar showing off a new GTA with a cutscene and followed by a gameplay component showing the protagonist simply opening car doors. Or PD showing off GT6 with a car driving in a straight line.

I get that the main purpose of the demo was to show off how nice and shiny MGS will be visually. But if you are going to stick some gameplay in there, throw a bone to those of us who don't find graphics all that important and show something new. Crawling was used in the first gameplay trailer for MGS4, but so were a host of other gameplay features that were new to the game.

I'm truly amazed by this sentiment... Really?!? You're so uppety because they didn't show any "new" gameplay mechanics in the very first trailer of the game.

The gameplay they showed was only a small fraction of the trailer, and the purpose of it was merely to show as a proof that the engine was running those stunning visuals in real-time. It wasn't a trailer to show off the new gameplay of the game. That wasn't the purpose of this trailer, and to me that was stinkingly obvious.

Good gosh... sometimes I just think that internet folks will find anything about anything to complain about.

Good gosh... sometimes I just think that internet folks will find anything about anything to complain about.

exactly, it really starts to annoy me (see e.g. The Last of Us thread with people whining about UC3).

What was shown in MGS was phantastic for me: set the right tone, set the atmosphere with stunning graphics (although I don't think console ports will look like this...maybe Wii U) and the right MGS feeling.

Just bring it on...I have the money reserved :)

My helicopter music: Speed (Billy Idol ;-))

Meanwhile people are far more concerned about what was going on in the trailer in terms of characters and plot.

I'm truly amazed by this sentiment... Really?!? You're so uppety because they didn't show any "new" gameplay mechanics in the very first trailer of the game.

The gameplay they showed was only a small fraction of the trailer, and the purpose of it was merely to show as a proof that the engine was running those stunning visuals in real-time. It wasn't a trailer to show off the new gameplay of the game. That wasn't the purpose of this trailer, and to me that was stinkingly obvious.

Uppety? Please! LOL. Elitist gamers with feelings of entitlement run around complaining the industry's or specifically Kojima over emphasis on graphics?

Kojima used the phrase "shake the industry" and did so by doing what? Showing off shiny graphics. Isn't that what everyone does? Consider me not shook. Great graphics and a great cutscenes is a given when it comes to MGS.

Maybe I am being a little negative and thats because I have the ultimate love-hate relationship with MGS. Nothing comes close to raising the a vein in my forehead like MGS. I love the cutscenes and love the boss fights. But I have felt that MGS could be leagues better than most other franchises if Kojima dropped his conservative approach when it comes to upgrading the actual gameplay. MGS is my favorite franchise but its also the franchise that causes me the greatest angst.

The crawling mechanic is especially a sore spot for me. Mainly because as the visuals got prettier, the storyline/conspiracy grew and boss fights got more over the top, crawling around on the ground and having Snake swivel around as if he had a rollerskate or a shopping cart wheel as a belt buckle only serve as an example of how far MGS hasn't come along gameplay wise.

If this had been any other game, I wouldn't have cared. It would have been another trailer for another game. But the franchise has been my favorite since Metal Gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping the stupid survival viewer and camo select screens won't make a return. I hated that pointless clutter in MGS3.

I am hoping for a big expansion of the CQC mechanic with more elaborate take downs. I have become of a big fan of AA/AC and sleeping dogs combat mechanics. A mechanic such as that revolving a diverse set of moves to take down someone silently or violently (if alerted) would be a big feature for me.

A boss battle strictly with hand to hand combat with a bunch of contextual opportunities for damage, I think would be a big plus for the new addition to the series.

The funny part is that MGS is what began my tendency to not hold visuals so highly anymore.

My first gift from my wife that had nothing to do with a birthday, holiday or anniversary was a PS3 (my first) with a copy of MGS4 (it had just been released).

The problem was that the PS3 didn't come with HDMI or component or was it because we had one of the first HD sets that was strictly 1080i. I don't remember. I initially played MGS4 on SD and when I finally bought some new components (or did I buy a new TV?) and played MGS4 at HD, it took me two minutes to realize that HD or SD didn't matter as it didn't improve my enjoyment at all. But I still had a motherfing Snake with a shopping cart wheel belt buckle.

Question....why does Chico have an audio jack hole on his chest?
I cant remember anything related in Peace Walker.

The funny part is that MGS is what began my tendency to not hold visuals so highly anymore.

My first gift from my wife that had nothing to do with a birthday, holiday or anniversary was a PS3 (my first) with a copy of MGS4 (it had just been released).

The problem was that the PS3 didn't come with HDMI or component or was it because we had one of the first HD sets that was strictly 1080i. I don't remember. I initially played MGS4 on SD and when I finally bought some new components (or did I buy a new TV?) and played MGS4 at HD, it took me two minutes to realize that HD or SD didn't matter as it didn't improve my enjoyment at all. But I still had a motherfing Snake with a shopping cart wheel belt buckle.

Maybe it did not matter because MGS4 is sub HD...

Joke? lol
1024*768 is still close to 720p than 480i.

;-)

After reading his post about SD and HD, I thought the thread is open for jokes :)

Ok, seriously: what alternatives to crawling does snake have?

I playeds GRAW Future Soldier with invisible gadget and stuff...but still, ocasionally, I had to crawl to avoid enemies...sorry, but I just cannot understand all the complains after 10min first video of the new engine.

Question....why does Chico have an audio jack hole on his chest?
I cant remember anything related in Peace Walker.

I haven't played Peace Walker yet, damn Sony doesn't put the HD version on psn yet, but From the trailer, he looked obsessed about it and when he did not have a walkman, he put the jack in his chest.
After all, he became a traitor to get his walkman back, thats what the video suggests.

I haven't played Peace Walker yet, damn Sony doesn't put the HD version on psn yet, but From the trailer, he looked obsessed about it and when he did not have a walkman, he put the jack in his chest.
After all, he became a traitor to get his walkman back, thats what the video suggests.
Thats quite strange and so unlike the Chico I found in Peace Walker. Its like they have done something to him. He doesnt speak, he has some wound on the forehead, he looks confused and reminds of a child who has never had contact with the world.....why so obsessed about it?
He was a good guy. Seeing as a traitor is a huge surprise. When you will play PW you will notice that confessing made him feel guilt.
The jack on his chest looks like he went under some modification. Quite strange he has the phones constantly on his ears and the jack on his chest as if his life depends on it.
DId the cassette player play just some music? If yes Chico would appear like a brat who confessed easily to be awarded with a cassette player. Thats so not him. Or was it something else? Maybe the voice of someone important to him talking? Or was it a special sound linked to his need to have the phones on his ears and the jack on his chest?

I dunno man, gotta play PW as soon as it hits psn. But it sure looked like he was either brain washed or broken down real bad. In true Kojima style, the cut scene makes one go crazy with questions :D !

I watched the Ground Zeroes footage again and the animations in the cutscenes look so damn lifelike !!!!! I mean, we have seen mocap animations in freaking every game, but something in the hand movements etc is so so real in this footage !

I watched the Ground Zeroes footage again and the animations in the cutscenes look so damn lifelike !!!!! I mean, we have seen mocap animations in freaking every game, but something in the hand movements etc is so so real in this footage !

That's kind of a trademark of their cut-scenes, though. In that regard MGS4 hasn't aged one bit either. Heck, even the older games are stunning in that regard. The way Ocelot plays with his revolver in MGS3 is still breathtaking to behold.

I found the cinematography shown in this video interesting. It's just one long shot with shaky "documentary" style camera work. A first for the MGS franchise?

That's kind of a trademark of their cut-scenes, though. In that regard MGS4 hasn't aged one bit either. Heck, even the older games are stunning in that regard. The way Ocelot plays with his revolver in MGS3 is still breathtaking to behold.

The whole motion capture and photography of those games has always been top notch. I would even say it is less impressive today as some other have caught up a bit, whether MGS3 as you mentioned had animations of similar quality at a time no other game really did compete.
Another thing that I've noticed those games always pushed was cloth. From the very first boss of MGS2 where cloth physics had a major gameplay role to the very impressive raincoats of Zeroes' video or the saggy prision uniform of the boy - the kind of uniform most other developers would say "we can't do that, make tighter fit clothes".
I get really happy when I see developers not shy away from difficult problems right away or when they don't take shortcuts to realize their artists vision. Kojima Productions is one of those.

Back