Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

That's not realtime in the true sense. That's just a static statue being rotated in realtime which does not take much processing power to do. Realtime "in game" is totally different and takes much more processing power to do because everything is alive and animating independently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not that we haven't seen techniques used in trailer in other high profile games, its the attention to details that goes with it. Look at animations in cutscenes, reflections when they are driving past helipad, nice use of DOF and character models (helmets for example). All those things where seen, but this thing has such a high production values that those things pop out more, thats why people are wondering if this is going to run on current gen consoles.

And if I remember correctly, Kojima demoed MGS4 on PS3 devkits in 2005. Problem is, they were more powerful than what they got with retail machines. He never had intention to lie about it...

It run on PC ;) ... i think LOD was disabled or not so aggresive as it will be on consoles.

That's not realtime in the true sense. That's just a static statue being rotated in realtime which does not take much processing power to do. Realtime "in game" is totally different and takes much more processing power to do because everything is alive and animating independently.

Yes , but how else will they show their features to you? Even for the "Agni philosophy" demo, they paused the demo and rotated around to show u it was all realtime. They changed the colour and frizzyness of the old man's beard to show it was realtime, just like Kojima changed the colour ofSnake's moustache and lighting in realtime to prove the point. After all, it is a cut scene not a demo level.

I think this point we are discussing on, whether it was realtime or not, is moot. It was realtime then, if we mean that realtime means not pre rendered and running live on the hardware. It did not translate into the final game is also true, but We all know ps3 was severly dumbed down for luanch or we can say severely overstated before launch. Sony could not get the promised hardware into the box at the price t hey sold it for.

That still doesn't prove it's real time as everything is STOPPED... why didn't they control the camera while the cutscene is being rendered and moving?:???:

Did you miss the part where they change the lighting of the scene and it subsequently affects Snake's character model and self shadowing ?

I found the demo impressive from a visual point of view. New MGSs seem to always deliver in that aspect. But watching snake crawling on all fours trying to avoid the search lights looks straight out of the 90s.

I love the MGS universe but Im not looking forward to playing the game outside of the boss battles, which has become incredibly stale. Hopefully, they release videos that show updated, new and varied core gameplay mechanics. Not those gimmicky features that tend to get dropped the very next iteration of the game.

Two completely different circumstances. The hardware changed to in affect getting downgraded. It basically was running that 2005 demo on a high spec 7800 gtx if I remember correctly and what he got was a GPU's bandwidth performance cut in half.

You have to remember in 2008 nobody were using the Cells properly, you had whole cores running idle. That technology demo in 2005 looks a lot closer to what he's doing for ground zero, definitely achievable on the ps3 and 360. Wether or not he can make an "open world" game out to the degree of say...Crysis (no, not Crysis2) is more of a design challenge, than a tech one.

You sure about that ?
That tech demo is what (5)6-7 years old ?
It's (visually) nowhere near what they've pulled off with Ground Zero if you ask me.
I think the final game stayed pretty close to what they originally introduced way back in 05.

You sure about that ?
That tech demo is what (5)6-7 years old ?
It's (visually) nowhere near what they've pulled off with Ground Zero if you ask me.
I think the final game stayed pretty close to what they originally introduced way back in 05.

The poly budget is higher on snake in that 2005 tech demo but the lighting model is far superior in ground zeroes.

I found the demo impressive from a visual point of view. New MGSs seem to always deliver in that aspect. But watching snake crawling on all fours trying to avoid the search lights looks straight out of the 90s.
Yeah, I remember all those N64 games that relied on dynamic lights and shadows as a fundamental part of the gameplay.

Those are characters from Peace Walker right? I hope the story can stand well enough on it's own for anyone who hasn't played Peace Walker. Especially since this is the first MGS game on the 360.

Is Peace Walker any good? I may pick it up since it's probably cheap by now, and would justify still having my PSP around.

I am waiting for MGSPW HD to become available separately on the EU PSN to play it asap. I bought MGS1 recently and am ready to go thru it too. I had played MGS2 and 3 on my ps2 and MGS4 was one of the reasons for my buying a ps3, so thats done too.

There's nothing in there that you don't see in Crysis 3 running on a 360, which in fact is doing a lot more and is actually an open world game.

WHen was Crysis 3 shown running on a 360? and since when is Crysis 3 an open world game? Its the same as whats shown in Ground Zeroes here, wide open levels but no open world setting.

Maybe u r talking about Far Cry 3.

I am waiting for MGSPW HD to become available separately on the EU PSN to play it asap. I bought MGS1 recently and am ready to go thru it too. I had played MGS2 and 3 on my ps2 and MGS4 was one of the reasons for my buying a ps3, so thats done too.

WHen was Crysis 3 shown running on a 360? and since when is Crysis 3 an open world game? Its the same as whats shown in Ground Zeroes here, wide open levels but no open world setting.

Maybe u r talking about Far Cry 3.

Yes, they had the game running on a 360 in Germany last month and yes it was open world with a lot of verticality to it. By the way, they didn't actually show anything about ground zeroes gameplay. It was a 10 minute cutscene and they showed big boss shooting some dude and they got in a vehicle but nothing else.

Yes, they had the game running on a 360 in Germany last month and yes it was open world with a lot of verticality to it. By the way, they didn't actually show anything about ground zeroes gameplay. It was a 10 minute cutscene and they showed big boss shooting some dude and they got in a vehicle but nothing else.

I know there was no gameplay in ground Zeroes. I am not saying there is any, clearly the game is nowhere ready.

Did they show Crysis 3 on 360? WOw, it never made it to the press. How did it look compared to Crysis 2 ? Is it native 720p this time around?

As far as open world is concerned, from what I know it is just like Crysis 1, wide open levels, but not open world. if it is, can you confirm? did they show open world gameplay there? If, so, that would be exciting news to me :) !

Yeah, I remember all those N64 games that relied on dynamic lights and shadows as a fundamental part of the gameplay.

Sorry you forgot about the solition radar from MGS. All I am seeing in the demo is a fluff up feature thats been part of the game's core mechanic since the beginning (1998).

There is nothing about the gameplay in the demo that couldn't be done in MGS. Being spotted by a searchlight as a gameplay mechanic is about as new as stone wash jeans.

There is hardly any gameplay here to judge anything :LOL: ! And since the story is going back to the old days, old mechanincs are bound to re appear! So, you think that people should not crawl on the ground anymore ?
Its like saying Snipers should not wear camouflage anymore as we have been seeing that in every game ! ;) oh, he still using a scope , so old !

Crawling is Snake basic mechaninc, like walking in an fps, it not gonna go away. Its the reason he is called Snake, cause he crawls on the ground like one.
I am sure there will be new mechanincs, every MGS had something new to its gameplay, this will too.

Why is crawling to avoid being seen so strange?
Its not just something made up by Hollywood. It is used in real life even today by soldiers. :???:

Crawling is like the safest position, the person is harder to spot especially with camouflage on, smaller target and stable firing position.

Back