Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

The Metal Gear games have always had a good mix of western and japanese influences. It has used real life events as inspiration, and features a lot of the worlds superpowers (America, Russia and China). But also has some very japanese things like cyborg ninja's, giant robots, and whatever crazy stuff Kojima can think of.

This is probably why Metal Gear has remained popular compared to other japanese games. It has managed to stay true to it's roots while also appealing to western audiences. It's the best of both worlds.

Lets put this into perspective: Whose game are we talking about here...right....a Metal Gear game, a game made by one of Japan's biggest critics is trying to make a more lemme see...American style game you hate so much...Why are you even in this thread then?

I fail to see the connection between bigger maps and a more "American style" game here. The MGS games, up until part 4 at least, were always kind of open-world games. Even MGS4 was more of a sandbox of gameplay systems than a guided experience.
I also agree that this sad state of self-humiliation on behalf of the Japanese development community is a huge load of bs. They still make some incredible stuff, and it's pretty hilarious that people expect them to to match the entire Western development community in terms of sheer output of big budget AAA games.

...yes...the biggest names in Japan....Kojima...he...they...none matter at all....

Lets put this into perspective: Whose game are we talking about here...right....a Metal Gear game, a game made by one of Japan's biggest critics is trying to make a more lemme see...American style game you hate so much...Why are you even in this thread then?

I'm still trying to figure out what design path you feel Japan has soooo locked down that's so much better than anyone else and the only one I can think of is the beat em up action games and 2d scrolled fighters genres, NOT military themed open world designed games, which Ground Zero appears to be inspired by, get real son....

There seems to a bit of misunderstanding here. i am not pointing out from where Ground Zeroes is getting its influences from. I am just saying that the general perception that Japanese games are laggin behind is not due to lack of progression in game design but due to lesser budgets(marketing and otherwise) and their not being able to cater to the american sensibilities.

There have been numerous Japanese games this gen which have exceptional game -design.

As for MGS going (pseudo?) open-world, its natural progression. MGS has always offered a lot options in tackling a level in ur own way. It has always fostered experimentation, so, i feel, going a bit more open in level design seems natural progression.

Levels in MGS have always been non linear and open.
MGS3 was an open forest for the most part with multiple routes, Kojima actually wanted to make MGS4 in a sandboxed style and this was before open world became common outside of GTA styled games (as far as action games are considered) but developer vision changes according to time and situation.

There seems to a bit of misunderstanding here. i am not pointing out from where Ground Zeroes is getting its influences from. I am just saying that the general perception that Japanese games are laggin behind is not due to lack of progression in game design but due to lesser budgets(marketing and otherwise) and their not being able to cater to the american sensibilities.

There have been numerous Japanese games this gen which have exceptional game -design.

As for MGS going (pseudo?) open-world, its natural progression. MGS has always offered a lot options in tackling a level in ur own way. It has always fostered experimentation, so, i feel, going a bit more open in level design seems natural progression.

When people think "open world" Metal Gear Solid never comes to mind in any capacity. What are you people talking about? A Metal Gear Solid game has always been a big budget liner action game. You go for point A to B, there's plenty of cut scene and exposition but nothing in there that designs open world. The minutiae of "open world" is anti-antithetical to a Metal Gear game in just about every way possible. Who looks at Metal Gear and go "oh that kinda looks like Assassin Creed or Elder Scrolls"? It's never been "open world" as understood by even today's liberal standards of you can kill or not kill someone, not even "pseudo", not even a little bit is that open world. Is Splinter Cell open world now? It's not even "open world" in a Dexus Ex sense.

The "general perception" is that they [ as in Japan ] lack the capacity to do something other than generic action beat em ups or some derivative menu clicky game thing has nothing to do with budget. Do you remember that disaster of a Metal Gear Rising game Kojima's own hand picked studio couldn't design? What is Revengence now? A generic action beat em up people are simply going to call derivative and those Americans you hate so much will pass on. I'm sure there was a big budget behind that. How about Last Guardian? It's been in development hell for years and word on the street is Sony pretty much fired all their Japanese led designers and has sent in a cavalry of those dumb dip-shit of Americans (you hate so much) at Santa Monica to get the game finished. Need I have to talk about the disasters of the various FF games of late? The "exceptional game -design" of Japan...lets...as say they "leaves something to be desired"......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate Americans, some of my most fav games are by them.

And I used the phrase " in my opinion" for every opinion i wrote about the japanese games.

And I did not say tha MGS games are open world, but that it seems like natural progression after MGS4 with its open playgrounds.

There's always an air of disdain about those "others" when these things come up. Get over it is son. Get over the fact that hey, short of a few action beat em ups, Japanese developers seemingly lack the gravitas to design games people care about. Fans of Japanese games can't see the trees through the smoke and fire.

If Kojima is indeed making an open world game he isn't looking towards contemporary Japanese game philosophy to do it.

There's always an air of disdain about those "others" when these things come up. Get over it is son. Get over the fact that hey, short of a few action beat em ups, Japanese developers seemingly lack the gravitas to design games people care about. Fans of Japanese games can't see the trees through the smoke and fire.

If Kojima is indeed making an open world game he isn't looking towards contemporary Japanese game philosophy to do it.

If they continue banging out productions like Dragons Dogma (the Japanese dev sphere that is) then I think that will highlight a sea change in game design.

How about Last Guardian? It's been in development hell for years and word on the street is Sony pretty much fired all their Japanese led designers and has sent in a cavalry of those dumb dip-shit of Americans (you hate so much) at Santa Monica to get the game finished. Need I have to talk about the disasters of the various FF games of late? The "exceptional game -design" of Japan...lets...as say they "leaves something to be desired"......

Do you have any source for this?

At PAX 2012, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed off 15 minutes of the first gameplay footage from his upcoming PS3 game. Though running on a PC, Kojima stated that the footage was comparable to what would be seen on the PS3 version of the game.

The demo begins with an in-engine, real-time cinematic set in a rain-drenched prison camp, and ably shows off FOX Engine’s advanced shader, lighting, and particle effects. Check back at 3:00pm Pacific Time to see the footage.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/01/pax-2012-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-coming-to-ps3/

Edit: The video is in the link now.

Yea, I just saw the footage and it's not going to be an open world game, it seems to be more of the same just with prettier graphics and bigger map. I definitely didn't get Deus Ex:HR vibe from it Cornsnake. It still seems like a directed experience, it didn't look hand-off at all.

You can also drive vehicles in Mass Effect. :/

I don't see your point.

Aren't you also going to be able to drive vehicles in Last of Us too?

Ground Zero is probably going to be closer along the lines of that new Tomb Raider game i.e. not open world.

Official footage [realtime PC]

Livedemo on PAX [new footage starts @ 9:30]

Im very impressed, hopefully they will release it on PC. This needs to be played in 1080p/60fps. Game seems to have Crysis 1 sandbox elements, really huge maps where you can do whatever you want.

I would expect Durango/Orbis versions too if this is next fall or slips to 2014

It looks like those crossgen games like Watchdogs and Starwars. Clearly built to run on current-gen 720pish 30fps with just much of the eyecandy stripped off

Honestly I don't see anything that couldn't be done on current gen hardware, could be reduced native res but effect wise it can be very similar.
If you think things like cloth fluttering around in wind and such looks next gen then have a look at the cutscenes in MGS4 (infact the intro cutscene itself), they have similar effects. There were flickering shadows, and character models had visible poly edges I think it's fair guess that next gen games will have tessellated character models at the very least.

Unlike Watchdogs and 1313 which had things far out of reach of current gen consoles (rain drops being lit by car lights and being applied motion blur and such).

You can also drive vehicles in Mass Effect. :/

I don't see your point.

Aren't you also going to be able to drive vehicles in Last of Us too?

Ground Zero is probably going to be closer along the lines of that new Tomb Raider game i.e. not open world.

That doesn't makes sense, Mass Effect had vehicle specific missions and areas.
You couldn't just go up to any vehicle and drive like you could in for say Crysis...this game is like that.

Well apparently the demo was running on a PC with comparable power to a PS3, the team also seem to make it very clear at PAX that they are targeting current gen hardware only.

I have played and enjoyed superb Japanese Action games(Bayonetta, DMC4, EL shaddai), Platformers (Mario, El Shaddai), RPGs (Legend of Zelda), JRPGs (FFXIII and FFXIII2, The Last Story), turn based Strategy RPGs (Valkyria CHronicles, Disgaea 4), SHooters on steroids (Vanquish, Child of Eden, SHadows of the Damned, RE5 ), Survival Horror (SIREN), Puzzlers (Catherine), Professor Layton ......etc etc etc right in this gen.
I don't even remember some of them, there are so many. Just started enjoying Ys on my PSVita.

WHat Beat'em ups only? This is the strange phenomena I was talking about. Japan is delivering on every front, but its not selling well as it doesn't match the major audience, the american audience's sensibilities. But that does not mean they do not know how to make a good game. THat does not mean the rest fo the world doesn't like their games.

Resistance 3 failed commercially, but its a great game nonetheless. Saying insomniac doesn't know good game design is plain wrong.

Now, if u may excuse me, I need to watch Snake make a comeback here !

Official footage [realtime PC]

Livedemo on PAX [new footage starts @ 9:30]

Im very impressed, hopefully they will release it on PC. This needs to be played in 1080p/60fps. Game seems to have Crysis 1 sandbox elements, really huge maps where you can do whatever you want.

WOW ! I am excited, but we can see low res textures everywhere and aliasing too. Maybe, its not so unachievable on the consoles, kidof gives Heavy Rain and Beyond vibes in terms of visuals .

ALso, a lot of stuff did look like MGS4, but the lighting and wet shaders stand out as super impressive, if they can get it running on these consoles. The video does say PS360 at the end and Kojima has also confirmed that.

So, any confirmations on the all characters in this video? :p

Back