Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, MGS2 was excellent in the framerate department (sans Fortune boss battle perhaps). MGS3 was very noticably half the framerate, especially in first person view. Hearing that MGS4 may be infact 60 fps makes me VERY happy.

At least, that is what ign's journalists say in their MGS4 Q&A. I really hope they are right...

If the current gameplay videos are anything to go by, then the game is smooooth and playable and enjoyable.......the only hindrance is that june 12 is still very far away :mad:

Maybe you played the xbox version (it was a bad port, and it slows down often), or the pc version?

I have played ps2 version 3 times through and the tanker part too many times to be able to count it. I suppose I remember the framerate being worse than it actually was based on the reactions others have to my statement. I'm sorry about this nonsense debate about mgs2 slowdowns I caused.

MGS4 framerate

Well, there was a preview on a French site last week, and it seems the framerate is still far from good ; it's supposedly 60 fps but it drops down to 20 fps sometimes.
Also reported : aliasing issues (didn't bother me in Gears...), some poor quality texture.
They do not say whether it was an old build, so I hope there is time for improvement, they saw the game on march 13th
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/article.html

Yeah ! I read that too. Seems to be the only site to be saying that. That can mean two things:

1.Every other site is lying and is blinded by MGS love and this guy is holding up.
2.This guy doesn't know anything at all !

Haven't seen all videos but several of them show noticable framerate fluctuations.

Yeah ! I read that too. Seems to be the only site to be saying that. That can mean two things:

1.Every other site is lying and is blinded by MGS love and this guy is holding up.
2.This guy doesn't know anything at all !

Honesty is hard to find these days...

jv.fr

This site is becoming better and better ! They now criticize games way more than you would see on their american counterparts.
They talked about the framerate issue in TG5P in their review and harshly criticized all the "last gen" aspects of the game and they do exactly the same with 360 games.
Konami will probably improve the framerate while polishing the game, but I think it's cool that a website is able to say this point still sucks or is below our expectations when talking about a AAA title !

If the slowdown is occasional and happens once or twice in the game, then its OK. We should not nitpick on such things and spoil the whole experience is what I believe.After all , it is humans making a game, not God making nature ! :p

Anyways, if it can still be fixed, FIX it Kojima. Coz SNAKE ROCKS! and we don't want anything less ! :)

Since it has Metal Gear Online that seems to share the engine, I expect optimized patches will come continuously after the release of the game. That's what's different from the PS2 era.

If the slowdown is occasional and happens once or twice in the game, then its OK. We should not nitpick on such things and spoil the whole experience is what I believe. After all , it is humans making a game, not God making nature ! :p

Anyways, if it can still be fixed, FIX it Kojima. Coz SNAKE ROCKS! and we don't want anything less ! :)

:LOL: Well said ! I got my Saga disc yesterday. Now waiting for the Metal Gear Online beta on 21st April (Beta game download available on 17th April).

EDIT: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186445

Kojima is typically self-deprecating, despite MGS4's epic sweep. He describes his original vision for the game as a '10', which was scaled back to a '1' - after basing his original concept on a hopelessly optimistic estimate of (the then unfinished) PS3's power; revising his ideas when he saw the finished tech specs.

He is at pains, however, to stress he's impressed by PS3, and feels MGS4 pushes the limits of the Cell chip. In the very first teaser trailer shown at E3 2005 (rendered in the MGS3 engine on PS2) where Snake plays musical chairs, the theme was 'Nowhere to Hide', with the implication that MGS4 would have a completely destructible battlefield.

After looking at PS3, Kojima realised this wasn't possible, so the finished game looks 'merely' as good as, say, Uncharted or GTAIV, though you can't destroy everything. At times, it's a hi-res version of MGS3, at others, the most cinematic, improbably-beautiful, game in history. One chaotic real-time scene caused us to scrawl 'THIS IS NEXT-GEN!!!' on our notepad, for no reason than we had to tell someone.

On AI...

For example, when we were first attacked by the Gekkos in the tutorial, we ran in blind panic. Second time out, we ducked into cover, and hid - marvelling as the Gekkos engaged in real-time combat with the militia, exhibiting vicious AI.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there was a preview on a French site last week, and it seems the framerate is still far from good ; it's supposedly 60 fps but it drops down to 20 fps sometimes.
Also reported : aliasing issues (didn't bother me in Gears...), some poor quality texture.
They do not say whether it was an old build, so I hope there is time for improvement, they saw the game on march 13th
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/article.html
I thought the article said it can drop from 60 to 25fps. BTW, Did he have a gauge with him or something to be able to tell 30fps from 25fps?

I know in one of the KP report podcasts Ryan said it was 60fps, but some scenes dropped close to 30fps.

This site is becoming better and better ! They now criticize games way more than you would see on their american counterparts.
They talked about the framerate issue in TG5P in their review and harshly criticized all the "last gen" aspects of the game and they do exactly the same with 360 games.
Konami will probably improve the framerate while polishing the game, but I think it's cool that a website is able to say this point still sucks or is below our expectations when talking about a AAA title !

What framerate issue in GT5P? I haven't read about that from anyone here or elsewhere, yet. Was this just discovered in the past couple days?

EDIT: Just checked some GT threads for the past few days worth of posts and nothing there. Nothing backs this up. This stuff seems like disinformation without proof.

EDIT: Google it and found 2 thread on two different sites posted on Mar. 27 (kind of weird) about slowdown in replay mode with between 12-16 cars on the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the article said it can drop from 60 to 25fps. BTW, Did he have a gauge with him or something to be able to tell 30fps from 25fps?

I know in one of the KP report podcasts Ryan said it was 60fps, but some scenes dropped close to 30fps.

What framerate issue in GT5P? I haven't read about that from anyone here or elsewhere, yet. Was this just discovered in the past couple days?

There definately are slowdowns and tearing in gt5p when playing in crowded scene. Especially on london track.

Slow downs are infrequent enough to not be major problem(and the game isn't finished anyway). The framerate has gotten better with every patch.(been playing japanese version since the beginning and prologue demo before that and...)

There definately are slowdowns and tearing in gt5p when playing in crowded scene. Especially on london track.

Slow downs are infrequent enough to not be major problem(and the game isn't finished anyway). The framerate has gotten better with every patch.(been playing japanese version since the beginning and prologue demo before that and...)

I know the old japanese version (before the last patch) had framerate issues. Is that what you are talking about (besides the replay mode issue I mentioned earlier)?

I know the old japanese version (before the last patch) had framerate issues. Is that what you are talking about (besides the replay mode issue I mentioned earlier)?

The framerate dips are very obvious in latest videos from Gamersyde (HD 60fps videos). Corners, lots of cars, some track places and tearing in 'random' places.

EDIT: This is the MGS4 thread.... :oops:

Even the euroversion(spec2) still has slowdowns, though they don't happen very frequently when gaming normally.

The framerate dips are very obvious in latest videos from Gamersyde (HD 60fps videos). Corners, lots of cars, some track places and tearing in 'random' places.

EDIT: This is the MGS4 thread.... :oops:

Even if MGS4 (or GT5P) is stable 60 fps, it may not be easy to capture them at 60 HZ without a couple of skips.

BTW what videos are you talking about? I don't recall any 60 fps video since PAL release.

Even if MGS4 (or GT5P) is stable 60 fps, it may not be easy to capture them at 60 HZ without a couple of skips.

Yeah but then users have been talking about the framerate drops, especially with multiple objects/smoke effects onscreen. 30fps videos also shows it. Though things can still get tweaked and patched.

BTW what videos are you talking about? I don't recall any 60 fps video since PAL release.

Gamersyde and there was also some on Gametrailers or was it Gamevideos.

Why are we making a huge issue out of things that occur sporadically? :???:

You know framerate on big explosions etc doesn't beother me that much. In fact it kind of adds to the intense moment - it's so fooking massive the whole world turns to slow motion - like what happens when a ball comes flying at you. In fact, I used to think it was deliberate :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back