Madden on Revolution - dedicated Rev version, not a port

Titanio

Legend
This is pretty interesting, especially in light of conversation regarding EA and Revolution:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148455.html

For the first time in years, development on a major console version of EA's marquee franchise football series is being taken outside the doors of the company's Orlando, Florida-based EA Tiburon studio. The game is instead being handled north of the border, by a special Revolution-focused development group within EA's Burnaby, British Columbia studio.

Players will hike the ball by mimicking a quarterback receiving the ball from the center, and then pass it to a receiver by making a throwing gesture with the free-hand controller. The faster the passing motion, the more of a bullet pass it becomes (in previous Madden editions, bullet passes were made by holding the passing button down longer).

Kicking the ball will be accomplished by sweeping the controller up as if it were a kicker's leg striking the ball. A fast, level swing will make for a hard, straight kick.

The Revolution controller will also come into play when running the ball, as jerking the controller left or right will make the ball-carrier juke to either side, while shoving it straight ahead will make him stiff-arm the opposition.

Kind of unexpected - a pleasant surprise! There's a full interview at the link, also.

Sounds kinda...meh!. IMO, of course. I imagine it would be nice for a few games, then after it you want to go back to gamepad for serious competition. And when you throw the ball too hard, the controller may slip off your hand (it could happen). I'm excited to see what the revmote could do, but this may not be the right game (again, my opinion).

.Z

You know E3 is approaching when more and more game announcements are made :LOL:

Anyway, if EA can implement those control scheme in a good way, this might be very interesting.

Their whole mantra is to create Revolution-specific versions of these games that are created just for the Revolution. So Madden Revolution will be very different from any other version of Madden you play. It'll be tailored just for the Revolution, which means we're spending a majority of our time making the control, which is very unique and different...specific for that machine.

I can tell you that we're working on titles other than just Madden right now and we're not unveiling those just yet. I think you'll see continued support for Revolution and you'll see EA continue to bring innovative titles that maximize the power of the machine. What's important to us is we've recognized the uniqueness of the Rev and how innovative it is, and what we don't want to do is say, "Hey, there's another platform, lets port a game to it and get it on that platform." Unless we can maximize that game for the power, the uniqueness, and the innovative control, we're going to wait until we know how to do that right to bring those franchises there.

I don't think Revolution consumers want straight ports. We want to bring out games that are great for the Revolution. And that's what we're trying to do. We're trying to take our expertise, and happily having a great football engine that we can count on solves a lot of problems. You don't have to sit there and worry about, "Let's get the game to play great football AI." It's more about, "Let's get the game to play great on the Revolution with a brand new, unique control device." Which is really the problem that we think all of our games should be solving on the Revolution.

I can tell you that the Tiburon guys came up today and they played Madden on the Revolution. They had been spending some time with our group but hadn't gotten hands-on with [the game] until today. They couldn't get the controller quick enough and said, "Don't tell me anything! Let me do it myself!" They loved it. It was great. They weren't expecting it to be as unique and original. 'Unexpected' is the best way to describe it. I think we're surprising people with how unique and different the offering is, just because that machine is unique and different.

I've never really been a hardcore football fan, but this might be my first footbal game since NFL2K1x for the DC.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear the complaints already - lots of damaged TVs where people have gotten too excited and have accidentally thrown their revmote controller through the screen! :smile:

mckmas8808 said:
Hate to say it, BUT this sounds tiring and just boring. So much energy just to play a football videogame damn.

Then the game is definitely not for you. Stick with Madden on PS3.;)

Titanio said:
Kind of unexpected - a pleasant surprise! There's a full interview at the link, also.

Interesting I expected exactely this

We've created a separate group that we have in Canada here that's doing Madden and some other titles and they're just focused on Revolution. Their whole mantra is to create Revolution-specific versions of these games that are created just for the Revolution. So Madden Revolution will be very different from any other version of Madden you play. It'll be tailored just for the Revolution, which means we're spending a majority of our time making the control, which is very unique and different...specific for that machine.

and I expect that any major company with good franchises do this too.

Althought I havea worry about this game in particular those how (in real live) never played this (like me) or are not good at this kind of sport etc... will they be able to play well or will be like a no gamer played the last lever of FSW?

I hope they do this well.

Anyway this console will have a health advantage.

Is this really how the games are going to work? Definitely hit or miss. How can you not get tired doing all that. Not nesessarily in Madden but say swinging remote like a sword in Zelda for 30 hours just doesn't appeal to me. I'm thinking there will be some really good uses of the controller but some really terrible ones as well. Hopefully more good obviously.

Ben-Nice said:
Is this really how the games are going to work? Definitely hit or miss. How can you not get tired doing all that. Not nesessarily in Madden but say swinging remote like a sword in Zelda for 30 hours just doesn't appeal to me. I'm thinking there will be some really good uses of the controller but some really terrible ones as well. Hopefully more good obviously.

The DS would be a good example, I think.

.Z

Sounds fun.

(for five minutes)

One must also wonder how they will retain all the intricacies of the gameplay... (there is the shell, but it would just become that much more of a hassle to perform all these motions with the remote inside the shell... and actually hit the right buttons)

I'm curious what they do with hockey :)

i think it sounds cool but probably a bit over the top. I was expecting more of a control scheme that would have you using the "remote" as a pointer, have a crosshair on screen to help you lead your targets, and using the nunchuck to move around.

I actually think this game will represent the problems with the Wii remote.

Sounds kinda like forcing a square peg in a round hole, to me. Instead of creating new games genres that can use the functionality of the controller, developers are taking old genres and trying to re-invent them by incorporating the controller.

As a gamer who primarily plays Madden and FPS's, I agree with the sentiments expressed earlier.. this sounds like something that would be fun to play with for probably 15 minutes or so. Not something you'd want to do for 2-5 hours a day for 6 months while you play through a couple of franchise seasons.

Mckmas also beat me to my very first question.. why all the emphasis on offense with the remote and no mention at all of how it will impact playing defense? Sounds to me like it directly addresses my first point: they are searching for ways to integrate the controller into the current game, rather than the other way around. So making use of the controller in offense (juking, throwing, kicking) is easy enough to do. Making use of the controller while playing defense? More difficult, thus no mention of it.

Which essentially makes this game/remote combination really only 1/2 functional.

Back