Madden on Revolution - dedicated Rev version, not a port

NANOTEC said:
Maybe we should wait for E3?

Before what? Posting interviews from Gamespot about the Wii?

Bad! Titanio! Bad!

Or we should wait before commenting on the articles posted?

Bad! Everybody who posted! Bad!

I'm not a sports game fan. I really, honestly, could not care if the genre dried up and died, never to be seen again. This actually sounds like an interesting way to play the game. I'm sure sports game fans are up in arms over it, but seeing as EA's sports games sold the worst on Gamecube, maybe they're ready to try something different to get people who typically won't play their games to try them out.

OtakingGX said:
but seeing as EA's sports games sold the worst on Gamecube, maybe they're ready to try something different to get people who typically won't play their games to try them out.

Well, I absolutely agree.

But then what does this mean for the Wii in general then? You aren't a sports fan, but this might be fun and you might play it a bit.. Enough to pay $50-$60 for the game? Or enough to pay $5 to rent it for a weekend?

If you can see how sports fans would be up in arms over this, but EA is trying to attract the non-sports gamers with this version, then aren't they also ignoring the "real" sports fans?

Or are they going to make it so you can use a standard controller setup if you want, which means people will use the wiimote for a bit, then switch over to the standard controller scheme. Which makes the wiimote, for this game at least, a gimmick. Which is the primary fear of those who have doubts about the new controller.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Before what? Posting interviews from Gamespot about the Wii?

Bad! Titanio! Bad!

Or we should wait before commenting on the articles posted?

Bad! Everybody who posted! Bad!

Maybe we should wait for full details before we claim it doesn't allow defense etc.;)

RancidLunchmeat said:
If you can see how sports fans would be up in arms over this, but EA is trying to attract the non-sports gamers with this version, then aren't they also ignoring the "real" sports fans?

Or are they going to make it so you can use a standard controller setup if you want, which means people will use the wiimote for a bit, then switch over to the standard controller scheme. Which makes the wiimote, for this game at least, a gimmick. Which is the primary fear of those who have doubts about the new controller.
I think they're going to release a very similar game (same team names and play mechanics) on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Gimmick

It will be fun for about an hour. Then you'll start to get tired of it as you think "I really would rather just sit relaxed in my recliner and play."

Well, I'd never have guessed that you would think that idea was a gimmick Powderkeg.. I'm geniunely shocked. You being the fair minded person that you are I was sure you would wait until you'd tried it before commenting.

Teasy said:
Well, I'd never have guessed that you would think that idea was a gimmick Powderkeg.. I'm geniunely shocked. You being the fair minded person that you are I was sure you would wait until you'd tried it before commenting.

My daughter has a bunch of princess dresses. She thinks playing dressup is fun. Maybe you should try dressing up in princess dresses. After all, if you didn't you wouldn't be a fair minded person if you said you wouldn't like it, would you?

Some of us have this thing called an imagination. You see, we can read a discription, and imagine ourselves performing the same act. Then we can imagine what 1-2 hours of performing that same act would be like, and can come to a pretty fair and usually accurate idea of if we would enjoy it or not.

I don't have to be beaten with a stick to know that I wouldn't like it. Maybe you would, but I certainly don't.

Powderkeg said:
Some of us have this thing called an imagination. You see, we can read a discription, and imagine ourselves performing the same act. Then we can imagine what 1-2 hours of performing that same act would be like, and can come to a pretty fair and usually accurate idea of if we would enjoy it or not.

And some of us obviously don't :rolleyes:.

Seriously, I don't see how this control method is more repetitive than a normal control scheme. In every game there's only a limited amount of moves. Wether you move the whole remote-nunchako thingy or push the control stick and push 2 buttons is entirely irrelevant. I could understand if you say you'd get tired after a while from holding the remote for several hours or you'd feel stupid when "throwing" the remote, etc., but that's just utterly ridiculous.

I don't get how EA can say the game is not a port when that's exactly what it is. They took Madden, kept it constant and saw what they could do to make the platform bend to its needs. When you look past the immediate control layer, it's the same game. How is that not a port? All the fru-fru gesture interpretation to accomplish what you can already do with a regular gamepad.

Don't get me wrong, as this is the kind of game the Wii needs to remain viable (god I kill myself :p) as a platform. I just object to EA calling it anything but what it is: a port.

Powderkeg said:
Some of us have this thing called an imagination. You see, we can read a discription, and imagine ourselves performing the same act. Then we can imagine what 1-2 hours of performing that same act would be like, and can come to a pretty fair and usually accurate idea of if we would enjoy it or not..

Weren't you the one who also imagined the controller wouldn't work for FPS? :smile:

I've played SEGA fishing games on my DC for hours using the fishing controller without any problems. It's just like real fishing where you sit there and cast and reel for hours. The game requires casting the controller and reeling too just like the real thing..not a problem. You must be really out of shape or boring to want to use a regular control pad for something like that. Heck everyone in my family loves using the fishing controller from kids to grown ups.

Inane_Dork said:
I don't get how EA can say the game is not a port when that's exactly what it is. They took Madden, kept it constant and saw what they could do to make the platform bend to its needs. When you look past the immediate control layer, it's the same game. How is that not a port? All the fru-fru gesture interpretation to accomplish what you can already do with a regular gamepad.

Don't get me wrong, as this is the kind of game the Wii needs to remain viable (god I kill myself :p) as a platform. I just object to EA calling it anything but what it is: a port.

So instead of Madden Football, EA should call it Joe Montana Football so that it wouldn't be considered a port? I mean how many football games can you make differently? EA will always have Madden Football. If you want to call the Wii version a port then every Madden to date is a port of an earlier version.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Speak for yourselves; I'm excited. I love football, but I hate Madden. The controls are just too damn complicated, and they get worse every year. You've got to memorize different control schemes for practically every major kind of position, and they're hardly intuitive. The barrier to entry was so high that I gave up in frustration on my first Madden game, 2004. Playing multi at a buddy's house was an exercise in futility, as I would inevitably forget which button was "juke," which was "spin," and which was "debilitating ACL injury." If this control scheme actually works the way they intend it to work, I'll finally be able to play Madden without constantly pausing to look up controls in the manual. I personally think it sounds fun, and for more than 15 minutes. I enjoy engaging in physical activity for more than a quarter-hour at a time, and this sounds not nearly as energetic as actually playing football, just more energetic than drooling down your shirt while twiddling your thumbs. In fact, I love video games, but one of the things I don't like is the way all my muscles get stiff and sore from sitting motionless for an hour or two.

Also, just because he didn't mention defense doesn't mean there won't be any defensive controls. Geeze, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
Also, just because he didn't mention defense doesn't mean there won't be any defensive controls. Geeze, guys.

Well of course there will be defensive controls.

Nobody has said otherwise.

What we did say, however, is that the lack of mention of how the controller would impact the defensive side of the ball is slightly telling. It's easy to imagine that you move the controller in an actual throwing motion in order to pass. Its easy to imagine that you tilt the controller one way or another and perform a juke move.

All you're doing is substituting buttons for actual axis control, so whatever. But how DO you actually tackle? If you're playing defense do you "push" the controller forward to dive? "pull" the controller back in order to jump?

It's harder to imagine. And that's because the interface doesn't translate as well to the defensive side of the game.

And I agree.. it's still a port. They're just replacing the top interface layer. They aren't building a game for the controller, they are taking their existing game and forcing the controller into it.

NANOTEC said:
Weren't you the one who also imagined the controller wouldn't work for FPS? :smile:

I've never said that, and I challenge you to quote me where I did.

I've played SEGA fishing games on my DC for hours using the fishing controller without any problems. It's just like real fishing where you sit there and cast and reel for hours. The game requires casting the controller and reeling too just like the real thing..not a problem. You must be really out of shape or boring to want to use a regular control pad for something like that. Heck everyone in my family loves using the fishing controller from kids to grown ups.

That's nice. Let me know when you start making underhanded casts with that controller while you are sitting down, OK? I sure would like to hear how you managed to lower your arm down with the seat in the way.

hupfinsgack said:
And some of us obviously don't :rolleyes:.

Seriously, I don't see how this control method is more repetitive than a normal control scheme. In every game there's only a limited amount of moves. Wether you move the whole remote-nunchako thingy or push the control stick and push 2 buttons is entirely irrelevant. I could understand if you say you'd get tired after a while from holding the remote for several hours or you'd feel stupid when "throwing" the remote, etc., but that's just utterly ridiculous.

I didn't say it was repetative, I suggested it would be less than comfortable.

Underhanded swing for kicking..... Sit down comfortably in a recliner, and see how easy an underhanded swing is.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be forced into sitting on the very edge of my seat or standing up the entire time to play a game. I like to sit back in a reclined and comfortable position, and I rather suspect most other people do too.

Well, I don't have a Wiimote, but I do have a 12oz water bottle. I'm also sitting at a desk, so I'm kind of strapped for space.

If I hold the water bottle about 1/3 of the way down, I can make a "kicking" motion with it. Seems to work just fine for me. I don't think you need to take the comments so literally.

IIRC he just said it should be bad for it.

Anyway for the first time I think I agree with Powderkeg, in some games one may be forced to not use is usual position, eg many times I play in a (exercice) bike but one balance while doing this, so in some games I doubt I will be able to play on the bike.

Some (not me) may consider this a big disvantage.

NucNavST3 said:
What about the control scheme says that you will still not need to remember those same features, "for practically every major kind of position", and how does the remote makes these things more intuitive in your opinion?

Well if it is intuitive then you should not need to remember anything.

Anyway I am not used to play sport games but IIRC most of them had diferent buttoms for how hard you throw the ball aor how high, I guess that you will only need to "throw" the FHC at diferent speeds and directions and you will cover any function from todays sports games.

BTW I dont know if this will exactely be a port, for all we know this can be very well in first person or a third person/over the shoulder viewn (or player choisse) and I personally think it could be great in this way (and with good gfx it should be very interesting that kind of viewn).

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p1.html

IGN Wii: So you're using the free-hand style pointer. How are you using the nunchuck unit?

John Schappert: Well, it controls how you move your player.

IGN Wii: Does you use the trigger buttons on the nunchuck unit?

John Schappert: You know, the buttons are all still being mapped out. It does use the trigger buttons right now. I don't know how much we'll have locked in for you at E3 because we are still working on the final button layout, but it does use the trigger buttons, and it does use the accelerometer in the nunchuck unit as well for juking.

IGN Wii: Perfect. Could you just for clarification purposes give us an idea of how a typical play might work using the controllers?

John Schappert: So, you take the controller, jerk it up to snap. Quarterback now has the ball. Your passing icons are now up. Take the wand controller and you'll see that the four directions on its D-Pad represent four of your receivers; the A button is your fifth receiver. Point to one of those receivers that you want to receive the ball and with your hand gesture a throwing motion to pass. Now, the harder you throw, the more that's going to be a bullet pass. The softer and the more you lob a throw, the more that it's going to be a lob. When you receive the ball, you run with the analog stick on the nunchuck and if you want to juke, you use the nunchuck to gesture it. And if you want to stiff-arm, you use the wand.

IGN Wii: Are you going to be using any force-feedback when you're throwing the ball or when you're getting hit, or anything like that?

John Schappert: Yes, we are. I think it's a little early to talk about how. Right now, these are the core mechanics that we've been working on getting them right. And I think you'll see further refinement there, but I think we're pretty happy with how Madden will be experienced on Wii.

Back