Madden 09

is the ps3 version still 30 fps?

In 08 360 version was 60fps while ps3 version was 30fps so has that been fixed?

I currently have Madden07 for the wii and really enjoy that one, it also has the accelerated clock feature that takes the run clock down to 20 seconds so I only have to wait half the time when managing clock... But maybe it's time to upgrade, but...

Should I go for ps3 or the wii version of 09?

Are there any motion sensitive controls for the ps3 version?

Is there support for rumble on the ps3 version? (I have the dualshock 3)

I would check the demo but guess what? No effing demo of Madden09 released in Finland! :(

edit: also, There's a madden09 for the original xbox, does it support 720p and does it still have Madden as an announcer/color commentator like he was in 07 version at least? I might just purchase that as it has some novelty value too for being very probably the last vanilla xbox game

Last edited by a moderator:
Well someone should be able to answer at least the questions about the ps3 version, pretty please?

I couldn't really tell the difference between Madden 08 and 09 for the PS3. I mostly play online however, so the higher frame rate may not be as evident.

They've redone the graphics with field degradation and different lighting effects and a new camera.

What I notice, and I don't usually look at instant replays much, is that there are skipped frames in replay, supposedly due to limited RAM. This situation isn't apparently as much of an issue on the X360 version.

The other thing I noticed, when you have rain and field and uniform are degrading is that there's some slowdown here and there but not to really affect your control.

I don't have a Dual Shock 3 so don't know about rumble support. I don't know of any motion support either.

You have to choose between motion control vs. HD graphics.

The other thing is that the PS3/X360 versions have been patched and there are plans for a second patch as well as some DLC which would add some features.

Not sure if the Wii version has patches or even roster updates.

Of course, many of the items in the patch or DLC are bug fixes and features which many believe should have been in the game in the first place. Such things as accelerated clock, proper player progression, CPU sliders, "classic" control configuration.

Both versions are 60 fps an pretty much indistinguishable. I went PS3 on this title since online is free (I'm not paying for xbl atm). Pretty fun game so far, although I've only played one game against my 9 year old at this point.

I will write a proper review later, but the game is poor in regards to the fact there are existing Maddens that are better. The number of stripped, missing, or miss-behaving features is astonishing. The lack of competition dulls this point to a degree, but anyone familiar with the features in Madden over the last 6 or 7 years can attest this is a very poor effort. e.g. "Madden Moment." This isn't new--plenty of Madden games stretching back to the N64 and before had (a) "Classic" moments from famous games -- ones worth replaying and (b) allowed users to create situations using teams in the game (current or historical) of their own. The player could set quarter length, time on the clock, score, possession, time outs, teams playing, field position, and so on.

They strip and resell features that compared to their own franchise emphasize the shoddy quality of the product. Further, usefull features (minicamps that focus on specific elements of the game or the 2 minute drill or, and importantly, a practice mode with set plays and "step-by-step" instruction from Madden on how to execute the play in Madden, what to look for, etc) are stripped and disfunctional features (VTC or skills) that have little to do with the action on the field are added.

Seeing as I haven't seen a single friend online playing and no one here or at Gamersyde or interested in a league I will probably try to salvage what value I can out of it. I am a big Madden fan -- I played it on the PC when you passed using the mouse to spot the ball on the field -- and have owned a solid dozen copies on the PC and consoles dating back the SNES. The approach EA has taken with this title, both in terms of on field and off field licensing and development, is pretty pathetic.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be reading more reviews and waiting to hear about the additional downloadable content before I buy.

I haven't even really played more than a couple of seasons of franchise on the 07 on the wii so I might just play one more season with that and then get the new ps3 version on the bargain bin :)

(
The only problem is I have the salary cap on and I'm missing like 3 players from the required amount of the roster and I can't buy more players because of the cap and I really don't get how the gui for trading works. So I might as well try the superstar mode)

So I got Madden last week.. I logged into today and it told me I needed to download another update.

Is this the long awaited Patch #2? I did a search and couldn't find ANY report that the patch had finally been released for download.

So.. how do I know? Are all the problems fixed, or was this update just a roster update or something stupid?

There is also a DLC coming which will add some "features" like CPU sliders.

I cannot believe they even removed those... especially with how the AI adjustments are too simplistic to really take into consideration things like opponent ratings, total yards versus average, etc. e.g. If I am running against a weak rushing defense and I have a line averaging 92 rating and a stud RB I am gonna have a big game. This shouldn't penalize me as I should have a lot of yards and a high average. Of course if you take the Madden Test and have even the most remote skills you will get All-Madden and fail to be capable of running to begin with (i.e. it is broken). Just like Franchise is broken until now I hear ...

Ok.. How in the world do you scout players in this game? I love the complete lack of directions on this.

I get that you can 'buy' a certain number of scouting opportunities based on how much you pay for your scouting dept, but WHEN do you scout? Do you have to assign your scouts week one of the regular season? If you have 20 scouts and scout 20 players during week one, are you done scouting?

Does it matter if you scout week one, or week 16? Clearly you can't scout after the regular season, because even though I've assigned scouts they tell me I haven't scouted any players when I get to the draft!

If you have 20 scouts do you get to scout 20 players each week? For a maximum of 16x20 scouting reports, or do you only get 20 scouting attempts whether you assign them to the same players, different players, all in one week or spread throughout the regular season?

How do you get projected round information, or even can you? How are players ranked on the initial screen? The only bar that shows is 'potential' and sometimes the guy 4th on the list has the most potential. But does that mean he's the 4th rated prospect at everything else or does none of that even matter?

...In short, can somebody please explain the scouting and drafting process in Madden 09 for me?

Thanks!

Back