Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

But what about just using your bike all the time in Maastricht? (I need I will, living damn 8km from school, only room I could get for sure...).

I do. When I work in the office, that's 7km from here so I go by bike most of the time as well (except lately when I combine bringing the little one to the daycare with going to work and the weather sucks).

Still, I think its bullocks. Your a human. Your not kind to the inviroment, not at all. Driving a prius really doesnt make much of a difference over a life time. All it does in my opinion is making you look like ''oh im saving the planet'' kind of thing while you really arnt.

Yes, as a human in the Western world I have a big footprint on the environment. Playing PS3 games with a big LCD doesn't help much either. However, an estimated 5000 people get lung-cancer from fine dust particles each year, so at least I'm not contributing to that. And the savings in terms of particles being added to the air in total (including CO2 and all the other stuff) runs into many, many kilos. A fair few of my colleages drive cars that do 1:10, so 1:20 and very clean exhaust do make a difference at least.

If you want to do something about the inviroment buy a piece of rainforrest, atleast that will have some use.

Yes, but instead I had to buy a car. I'm 34, it's the second car I owned. I've driven maybe 30.000km in my life in total so far.

@_xxx_: funny stuff to hear, I didn't know that.

Hope so! ;) Hey and I've enjoyed being around people that got drunk, stoned and whatever. But as soon as I noticed they never believed I hadn't been drinking while at the party (because I can be 'loose' enough without alcohol ;) ), my jokes were particularly (or exclusively) hilarious when OTHERS were stoned, and I was often one of the few to actually have a lasting memory of good times, not to mention having saved someone from seriously getting hurt twice by being the only non-drunk at a party,well, it all just adds up doesn't it? ;)

How the hell is 400bhp 'underpowered'. :rolleyes:

400bhp in 2008 is not an impressive number compared to the competition. Merc and Audi boost higher numbers, so does most of the other new sports cars that compete in this marked segment.

I'd take a 200bhp E30 M3 over the E92, in the real world how often do you really get to make use of 400? 500? 600bhp?

My previous car was a CLK with 550ish hp. I enjoyed all those 550hp on a daily basis. Overtaking and outright "parking" people that try to overtake you is great fun.

My current car is 200hp slower but low weight and AWD makes up for it, traction is really a big problem with powerful rwd cars these days, atleast with mercs.

I do miss the amazing g-forces from acceleration i could experience with my Merc, 60-140 acceleration is amazing as long as it wasn't raining. On highways in germany etc, the near constant push you can experience is amazing.

Your not going to experience the slightly better handling ability in an M3 on a daily basis either. On legal limits with these sport coupes with good suspensions its all about the tire really.

The drive is excellent thought in a M3, it feels just so much better. BMW's driving feel is something special, i love it, but not as much as i love Porsche, which is why i dont drive on at the moment.

[QOUTE]
Its all about driver involvement, hell I find myself having to rein myself in with just 120bhp to play with.[/QUOTE]

Driver involvement can only do so much, slow family cars (wild guess) cannot offer the same g-forces and abilities, and it can be outright dangerous to drive FWD cars hard for novice drivers.

speaking of bmw
BMW recalling 200,000 vehicles as air bags won't deploy - To auto giant has detected a problem with the 2006 3 Series, the 2004-2006 5 Series, and the 2004-2006 X3 compact sport utility as a result of which it is recalling 200,000 vehicles

speaking of bmw
BMW recalling 200,000 vehicles as air bags won't deploy - To auto giant has detected a problem with the 2006 3 Series, the 2004-2006 5 Series, and the 2004-2006 X3 compact sport utility as a result of which it is recalling 200,000 vehicles

Didn't they have the opposite problem with their cars awhile back where the the airbags would deploy when going over bumps?:LOL:

Didn't they have the opposite problem with their cars awhile back where the the airbags would deploy when going over bumps?:LOL:

I dont think so? Discovery teached me that there are sensors in the front of the car that know when you have a accident (because the sensors get pushed in) and once they notice that they deploy. Not by bumps or anything.

400bhp in 2008 is not an impressive number compared to the competition. Merc and Audi boost higher numbers, so does most of the other new sports cars that compete in this marked segment.

Yeah but how much do they weight? Close or over 2000kg? That is a big problem with modern cars I think. They are just to heavy. 400bhp is alot, just imagen what would happen if you stick that in a sub 800kg car like a Lotus. But ofcourse if the car weights 3 times at much it seems like little.

If they want to make something eco friendly, or maybe they should call it not-that-bad-for-the-enviroment, they should go back to the old days and start building cars without all the heavy luxery and build cars that are light and dont use extra power with things like aircon. But hey, ofcourse people dont want to sweat away anymore.
These things don't use as much energy and materials as you think, and much of it is recyclable. Remember that even a 2000 kg car will consume maybe 5 times its weight in gasoline over its lifetime. Pollution is by far the biggest factor for environmental impact.

Besides, you're not going to save the environment with a car that doesn't sell.

Well a car will use alot more than 5 times its weight in fuel. For a 2k car than is only 10.000 liters. Even if the cars does 20km to the litre (which it wont if its a 2k car) that is still only 200.000km. Most cars do alot more than that nowdays.

And saving weight and all will help because you wont need such big engines to power them anymore so you can use smaller engines which again will use less power. THe funny thing is that today you often hear oh this car is fuel efficient etc. And than when you look at the numbers and think about it they are really not much different than 20 years ago. Now just think about what if you stick these modern fuel efficent engines in the light weight cars there were back then compared to now and you would have a very efficient car.

Besides, you're not going to save the environment with a car that doesn't sell.

Not if everyone would just build cars that dont sell ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, how would you ride a bike in these? :p

wooden_clogs.jpg
Apparently, given the track cycling results medal table currently published on the BBC, better than anyone bar GB and Spain. <shrug>

I dont think so? Discovery teached me that there are sensors in the front of the car that know when you have a accident (because the sensors get pushed in) and once they notice that they deploy. Not by bumps or anything.

It's done with acceleration and yaw rate sensors, the detection happens by measuring the slope of the filtered signal. I guess in this case it's either faulty sensors or lame software.

It's actually partly the use of these sensors in cars for this kind of purpose that is partly responsible for them becoming cheap enough to use in console controllers, right?

Dunno, the ones in cars are more complex with higher accuracy and more expensive. But the "simple" ones weren't expensive to begin with, I remember using some unidirectional variety in SO8 package in 1999/2000 timeframe and they were about $2 a piece back then.

You can stick all these stability controls up your exhaust as far as I am concerned because all they do is dumb down the driver. Not only that they add weight and expense and then have to be fixed later at extra cost before finally meaning you car has to be scrapped before it's time because it is too expensive to fix.

Rather than ESP my little 57mpg Toyota went from 155/65 tyres to 205/40 Yokohama's. And they are a lot more fun than any old ESP. Do you know how much grip a 900kg car with a 67kg engine up front can generate with 205/40 Yokohama's on?

Loads. :D

Try starting a high-powered car like the Viper on ice in winter, good luck with getting the car to move at all ;) Besides, you can always turn it off (at least partially) if/when you don't need it.

Fact is, it saved many lives and continues to do so, mostly without even being noticed.

Try starting a high-powered car like the Viper on ice in winter, good luck with getting the car to move at all ;) Besides, you can always turn it off (at least partially) if/when you don't need it.

Fact is, it saved many lives and continues to do so, mostly without even being noticed.

For someone without an interest in driving (or more of an interest than they have talent ;)) its no doubt a good thing.

Had to drive the Elise in pouring rain yesterday and roundabouts with standing water certainly focused the mind! Even on the motorway you could occasionally get a twitch from the rear at 70mph as a wheel lifted on top of the water and began to spin. For those not used to it it would have been easy to have a stupid accident even at fairly low speeds.

Yeah, I can imagine that happening particularly easy in the Elise. Bloody dangerous in any car though when it gets cold. ABS would have prevented the accident I had a few years ago, which involved rain and +1 Celcius temperatures.

Back