Lossless Scaling. Machine learning Frame Generation and upscaling on ANY GPU!

While 20fps was definitely too laggy for me, apparently the new beta will seek to improve the framepacing even further.

While 20fps was definitely too laggy for me, apparently the new beta will seek to improve the framepacing even further.

that's what I noticed. In previous versions it was easier to spot stuttering in some games, but for now in Callisto Protocol the game is running at 90fps and it's stable. Setting the game at 60fps though Lossless Scaling effectively triples the framerate but it's not free and the base framerate drops a little in The Callisto Protocol. Still impressive. If there is no stutter in other games I will be using it to run them at 165fps -my display's native framerate-, with a base of 60fps -ideally I could lock the base framerate to 55fps, but that's not possible on my A770 afaik.

more games tested.

Resident Evil 2 Remake with RT on running at 60fps. Went from 60fps to 165fps flawlessly on my 165Hz monitor.

Redout, I locked the game at 60fps -though I can run it natively at 165fps- and it went from 60fps to 165fps flawlessly.

King of Fighters XIII. This game locks the framerate at 60fps no matter what you do. In fact I "hacked" it years ago on a 240Hz display I had and the game went totally nuts when running at 240Hz. It was 4 times 60fps and everything was so accelerated that it became unplayable.

In this game, Lossless Scaling does nothing 'cos there is nothing to work with, and it shows at the top left that the game is running at 60fps when Lossless Scaling is enabled.

This utility has become a lot more stable and mature. There can be issues with some games when tripling the framerate, mostly on lights and stuff but they are minimal. It's impressive how well it works now.

This sounds too good, in other words it's better than DLSS3 and works on all GPUs?! And what about input lag?

This sounds too good, in other words it's better than DLSS3 and works on all GPUs?! And what about input lag?
afaik, it works on any GPU. As for DLSS3, I don't have a nVidia card to compare :/.

Regarding the input lag, I haven't noticed any input lag.

I am surprised too with this new update, but your framerate goes from 30 to 90 and it works smoothly. Also when going from 60 to 180 -vsync kicks in and it stops at 165fps- it is a great experience. I haven't seen many artifacts. Where I observed where the two generated frames can be noticeable is with certain lights and when you are constantly rotating the camera or moving the camera up and down.

Other than that, I haven't noticed the flaws I could find previously, even on games like Resident Evil 4, where I used Lossless Scaling but I never felt the game was running smoothly. Now it does.

I wonder how it is going to work with A Plague Tale Requiem. It is a very unstable game when it comes to framerate and the previous versions doubling -not tripling- the framerate did an okay job but not great.

In regards to the flaws, the program requires you to play on Windowed or Borderless Window mode for it to work properly, but that's not much considering you aren't going to need a new GPU to run certain games smoothly.

It looks like a game changer, the question is when will it be released on console.
gotta add that I've noticed now that I've been using Performance mode of FG all the time which according to the creator of the app gives a slightly worse quality FG but it works on weaker GPUs. I enabled it without knowing, but yeah, it works. And maybe the default mode hides the flaws the Performance mode has when rotating the camera, specially on maps and stuff with light where you can observe part of another frame at times. It should be a game changer and it is working better than before, but it doesn't receive much coverage.

a couple of very demanding games tried.

A Plague Tale Requiem. The FG goes makes the game run at 90fps -from a 30fps base- and the difference is HUGE. The game has a very mediocre internal upscaler that creates a lot of artifacts. I set the internal game's upscaler to Quality but the strands of hair of Amicia look very pixelated and the game doesn't look good overall. When you apply Lossless Scaling the internal upscaler and FG don't work very well together and you can see some additional artifacts on Amicia's hair. The framerate is flawless, I am again so surprised.

I can't disable the native upscaler of the game, and even the Ultra Quality setting with FG or without FG looks bad.

The Witcher 3
with max quality RT effects enabled. I set the game internally to 30fps and running TW3 at 90fps without artifacts is just wonderful.

Love the enthusiasm, but please use the posts to talk about the topic, not the title. Edited to remove another Cyan-three-sentence-format-breaking-title.

It's not better than a native dlss3/fsr3 implementation from the things i've seen. Daniel Owen did a video on it the other day going through the pros and cons.

that's a good video. What I don't get is why he says that it doesn't work well with VRR (Gsync or Freesync). I have VRR enabled all the time and the games run like a charm. I also have Vsync enabled in the intel drivers, if that matters.

Having an utility like this for almost all the games is very nice.

Last edited:
another fair video explaining how it works with modern games, whether there is input lag or not and how it works with emulators: i.e. for handheld consoles that ran most of their games at 30fps, and even games at 60fps.

Last edited:
could this be implemented in VR games ?
Reprojection is a similar thing, if you ment for games that arn't using it steam motion smoothing is a similar thing if it's using steamvr. If you do try this app in vr let us know how it goes.

What I don't get is why he says that it doesn't work well with VRR (Gsync or Freesync). I have VRR enabled all the time and the games run like a charm. I also have Vsync enabled in the intel drivers, if that matters.
Yeh it can be weird, I havn't tried this app yet but i'm going to try get a chance to see if it can do anything for elden ring smoothing it to 120hz before the expansion drops. As for lag I've had issues with it, I should also mention I havn't used it in alot of stuff except cyberpunk/remnant 2/dying light 2 and gray zone warfare and maybe a couple of other things I can't recall atm. I basically have to set any frame rate limiters to off, turn vsync on at driver level and then have nvidia boost on. Otherwise I get really noticable latency.

I've only played around with fsr3 frame gen in gray zone warefare and I could get screen tearing and judder with playable latency or with pretty noticable latency but no tearing or judder yet the guy I play with set it up the way I did with playable latency but he apparently didn't have the tearing or judder. He was using a newer monitor supporting freesync/gsync where mine is an older one from around when they launched with an actual gsync module, he was using hdmi and I am using display port so I wonder if any of that could be a factor.

me running Mario Kart 8 via emulation at 165fps. (the framerate numbers of Lossless Scaling don't show using the capture app of the Xbox). You can break the 60fps framerate with a trick in the suyu emulator, but by doing that the game becomes utterly unplayable. However, with Lossless Scaling you don't have that problem.

There is a big difference, specially the track lanes move towards the camera a lot more smoothly. In this case, I haven't seen a single artifact, but that's to be expected since you barely rotate the camera.

GQAng2j.jpg

other three games tried.

Forza Horizon 5, the best experience with this app I've had. 55fps base x 3 = 165fps. Flawless. The game has a framerate selector depending on your display's framerate. Mine is 165fps so FH5 lets you limit the framerate to native 165fps, 82fps, 55 fps (1/3) or 41fps (1/4).

On games that use 41 fps as the base, sometimes Lossless Scaling seem to glitch and the framerate decreases to 28fps base (so x3 = 84fps). Playable but not so great in certain games....

Senua's Hellblade 2: a good experience overall, using 1/4th Vsync (41fps but with my settings I achieve 37fps at most as base framerate)

Remnant 2 (PC Gamepass): my worst experience with the app. A very demanding game, I set the framerate to 41fps because it has the same type of selector as FH5 and Senua, but for some reason the framerate decreases to 28fps base instead of 41fps. And in this case a LOT of artifacts appear when rotating the camera. The glitch I've talked about before.

Setting the game to 165fps but limiting the game's framerate to either 30fps or 41fps using Rivatuner, fixed the issues, the artefacts were gone --except for the hair.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: a great experience.

Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition. It works, but it's more like a curiosity than anything else.

Also tried my favourite Nintendo 64 game, Diddy Kong Racing, on Rosalie’s Mupen GUI and Ares emulators, but while the framerate apparently increased, I didn't see any difference 'cos the base hardware had that stuttering.

R-Type Final 2: it runs flawlessly.

Team Sonic Racing: one of the favourite games of my nephews. I haven't noticed any difference. Might try to lock the game at 60fps with Rivatuner.

Tekken 7, one of the best displays of this tech. The animations look soooooo much more smooth. The game is locked at 60fps and running it at 165fps with lossless scaling the animations look like butter compared to 60fps -where they are okay but certainly not even half as smooth-.

Ok so @Cyan reporting how well it was working for them got me motivated to try elden ring. So it works pretty well, so well I plan on using it for the expansion. I tend to play a few things locked to 90fps so I also tried locking it to 45fps and smooth it to 90 and it worked fine but I could feel things were not as responsive, then went 40 to 120 and again motion was fine but I wasn't overly happy with the responsiveness. I should also point out at this point I use mouse and keyboard (don't go there it works fine i'm on ng+5) so people on controllers might be ok with a 40/45 fps base rate.

I'm going to look through my library for other games with locked framerates and try those, I don't have dark souls 1/2/3 or sekiro installed but I might install dark souls 3 and sekiro if I get a moment (aus internet still sucks).

1 thing to note and this might be why some people report issues with vrr, the instructions say to use windowed or borderless windowed modes as it apparently doesn't work with exclusive fullscreen mode. I switched straight to borderless fullscreen and didn't try fullscreen but may try test it when I get a chance.

Lastly being able to just lock the base framerate to whatever and not get crazy input lag is nice.

Back