Looking for new primary display

Just make sure you use DP :)

My 34UM65 is insanely large and really nice on games for an IPS panel. Have it on "high" response mode and D3 isn't as fuzzy as initial testing. Being so large I really see the need for the wrapping version but the cost difference was too high plus I think I would have rathered a 980 on that thing due to the resolution.

I seriously wish all connectors except DP would just get dumped. Seriously. Especially VGA and DVI - the latter because WTF is that thing still doing on electronics manufactured today, no CRTs have been made for like ten years by now, and the former because it is seriously the most evil connector in existence, nearly impossible to insert blindly from behind a monitor. Especially dual-link incarnation is particularly vile and hateful, thick and unwieldy, like some abomination tentacle from hell fighting you at every turn as you try to cram the connector into its socket... Ugh.

The problems we face here in the first world, they defy all attempts at even describing them. ;)

The problems we face here in the first world, they defy all attempts at even describing them.

Heh, no doubt. I cancelled my MSI 970 since there's no date on when more would be available and went with the non-G1 Gigabyte o/c board for $350 since it'll ship next week (Amazon had six in stock when I clicked through to purchase it just a few minutes ago).

Heh, no doubt. I cancelled my MSI 970 since there's no date on when more would be available and went with the non-G1 Gigabyte o/c board for $350 since it'll ship next week (Amazon had six in stock when I clicked through to purchase it just a few minutes ago).

It took me weeks to find one in stock and be able to respond fast enough to actually get one. They literally last seconds. I had nowinstock.net monitoring and sending me alerts.

I was just about to place my order for the BENQ BL3200PT:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32-b...layport-hdmi-dvi-vga-2560x1440-300cd-m2-20m1-

when I discovered this (as you do):

https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-bdm4065uc-40-inch-uhd-4k-monitor/

Bugger. Both monitors have the high (real) contrast that I like (I currently use a BENQ EW2420).

40" diagonal is epic for 3840x2160. So epic that it won't fit on my desk.

Damn, so tempting. And prolly less than ÂŁ150 more than the BENQ. Amazing.

But it's mildly useful to have a HDMI 2.0 input on the monitor. Plugging in a future cell phone, set top box, console, PC with limited outputs etc.

For me the bummer is to allow some future 100/120Hz action you need yet another new interface (DP 1.3) or maybe we'll see mst with two cables, which is what I believe the 5K display uses.

Cancelled the order for the Acer 4k panel. Just too much new stuff coming out, not sure I want 4K and the trade-offs it will require with only a single 970 driving it, and not sure I want to lock myself into being forced to stick solely with NV GPUs due to a costly Gsync display purchase. My aging Dell 3007 can trudge on into next year and maybe we'll see an adaptive-sync IPS panel hit the market sometime soon(ish).

The 970 is out for delivery, should be dropped off sometime today. Just in time to drive Dragon Age: Inquisition here in a few weeks.

"Too much new stuff coming out" is the reason I bought nothing, too.

My main reason for a new monitor is more pixels. Preferably ~8 million of them. And with high contrast (higher than IPS panels). That's because photos on this monitor, at about 100 pixels per inch, look somewhat jaggy.

For gaming a larger panel size is my preference. 8MP isn't a big deal. If the graphics card is too slow (honestly, my HD7970 is too slow), then 1920x1080 with pixel doubling in the monitor should be OK.

There is a rumoured Seiki monitor with 32" VA panel at 3840x2160:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/...-Ultra-HD-Monitors-HDMI-20-and-DisplayPort-13

I'm very uncertain if these will all really have VA panels.

I discovered this panel-pron website:

http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch...type_category=&rohs_compliance=&button=Search

and as far as I can tell there is no panel listed on there that matches the specification of an 8MP 32" VA monitor. That's really disappointing. But I'm willing to wait a few months to see if this thing does appear.

I'm not getting a new screen until there are affordable 5K screens out. 4x WQHD rez means I could get non-fuzzed scaling for games that can't run smoothly in 5K without scaling down to a rez smaller than what I have now.

Anything > 60Hz would be nice. I've calculated that if you have bandwith for 3840x2400 at 60Hz then you have it for 3440x1440 at 111Hz. Adaptive sync up to 75Hz would be nice. (for any monitor except the 4K ones.)

Modest displays? 19" 2560x1600 that works on plain old dual DVI. Most motherboards and low end GPU ship without DP.

High contrast? OLED will beat both the cooked up dynamic contrast and the real contrast (measured on LCD at full luminosity, which is eye-bleeding and has gray darks). But it's still ways off, if you're looking for something half way between a 1.5" monitor and a 65" monitor.

A little prediction : Windows 10 should enable business use of Hi DPI displays, though the administrators won't be in a hurry for upgrading from Windows 7. Maybe the timeframe (as blurry as you want) would be similar for a "nvidia reluctantly supports Freesync" event.
The tech is all ready somewhat. Oh, it could have been summed up with "wait for the prices to come down and the bugs to be sorted out".

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear that 40" 4K Philips calling my name... I'll try to resist for a bit, but I think I NEED something like that to make my soul complete.

The Phillips 40" is a VA panel, so might not be too great for twitch gaming if that's your thing.

Two days after I placed my order, Amazon and Newegg started offering a free game (Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, or The Crew) with each order. I pinged their customer service to see if I can piggy-back onto it. Or, as a co-worker suggested, my delivered 970 can suddenly become defective, Amazon pays for returns, and I place a new order. But I hate doing that.

Back