Looking for a laptop for my daughter for high school...

Nah. 1366x768 resolution is quite perfect for a device that size. Many cheap 15-inchers go even lower, and none (that I've seen) in the sub $400 price range go any higher. The Asus is also likely to have a much better display in terms of viewing angles and color reproduction.

Thus, you'll get as much work done on the T100 as on any other cheapo laptop with an identical screen resolution, and for a kid at school, I'd value portability and battery life much more than pure power. The battery will easily last all day and carrying around sub 2lbs vs 6lbs is a wold of difference.

The hybrid nature also makes these decent media consumption devices in addition to being able to serve as a school and/or office companion.

The biggest drawback with these hybrids is that they're all stuck at 2GB of RAM which limits the amount of programs you can run concurrently before they noticeably start to slow down.

This is 3lbs.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433601/Inspiron_11_116_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

Windows 8.1 64-bit
PROCESSOR
Pentium Quad-Core
CPU Speed
N3530 (2.16GHz)
Turbo Boost Speed
Up to 2.58GHz

MEMORY
Total Memory
4GB
Memory Speed
DDR3L-1600

HARD DRIVE
HD Capacity
500GB
HD Interface
SATA
HD RPM
5,400 RPM
HD Configuration
1 x 500GB
DISPLAY
Screen Size
11.6"
Display Type
HD TrueLife Touch Screen
Resolution
1366x768
Widescreen
Yes
Webcam
Yes
Webcam Resolution
720p
Touch Screen
Yes
VIDEO
Video Connectors
1 x HDMI
AUDIO
Audio System
Waves MaxxAudio
Speakers
Yes
COMMUNICATIONS
WLAN
Dell 1707 Wireless-N
Wireless Technology
802.11n
Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0
CARD READER
Card Reader
2-in-1 Digital Media Reader
PORTS AND CONNECTORS
HDMI
USB 2.0
USB 3.0
Audio
K
POWER
Battery
3-Cell Lithium-Ion
Battery Life
Up to 7 Hours, 30 Minutes (Stated battery Life is estimated based on manufacturers engineering testing for a new battery. Actual performance will vary based on notebook settings, environmental conditions, and usage. Battery capacity decreases over time and use.)

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Width
11.81"
Depth
7.93"
Height
0.83"
Weight
3.07 lbs.

That one actually looks pretty nice. Doesn't seem to be available in Europe, so I must have missed its existence entirely.

If you're considering going down that road, I'd just go all the way and get her this.
I've been looking at those, but only 64GB storage? Can't do it, I just can't.

Thanks RudeCurve, that's an awesome site and that is a nice deal. This morning I'm heading out to Costco with the Mrs and I'm gonna take a quick peek at their latest offerings too. (My wife is getting annoyed at the amount of thought I'm putting into this, but it's important damn it! <sigh>)

Oh, a question! When I see those 64GB ssd devices I always wonder, wouldn't the bloody windows install eat up all that space? Hell, I don't know that I could do a proper install on only 64GB! (I tend to add a lot of stuff... :oops: )

Thanks in advance, it was bugging me looking at these devices.

Windows install should be under 17GB of space easily. I think the latest Windows 8.1 uses around 8GB.

I've been looking at those, but only 64GB storage? Can't do it, I just can't.
As long as there is little or no gaming, I find 64GB to be plenty for windows and applications. There should be well above 50GB available if you move the recovery partition to a USB drive. Windows 8 is actually pretty good about not cruddifying itself and leave loads of old crap around. For media and other files that don't need to be stored on the device permanently, I use micro-SD cards.

Anywhoo, they're also available with a 500GB HDD in the dock. Hurts battery life a bit, though, and personally I think they're better without. If you need the storage, RudeCurve's suggerstion might be a better choice.

Just checked that link RudeCurve posted up, and it looks like you can only buy it at their brick and mortar location. :(

Then I checked and they had a brick and mortar location in Chicago an hour away from me. :)

Then I checked that location and they have two open box offerings of that laptop for $339 each! :D

Thanks again RudeCurve, that one is really starting to look good to me. Tie that in with the 256GB ssd and I think it'd be a fine lil ultrabook for netbook prices. :cool:

Glad you found what you were looking for. :smile:

I really like the way you could flip the screen back all the way flush and use it like a tablet.

Digi, how about something like this?

Acer Ultrabook 435 dollar (i3, 2.6 pounds, 13.3'', according to the comments you'll easily get 6 hours of battery life)
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S3-391-6...UTF8&qid=1408243018&sr=1-2&keywords=ultrabook

Now that's a little sex machine right there. 768p resolution is fine for a screen that size IMO, almost preferable given the nature of some programs' lack of functional DPI scaling.

Whatever you get digi make sure to add an SSD to it (pretty much nothing in that range will include one). I'm sure you'll find a fantastic deal on one somewhere, but as far as standard pricing goes the Crucial MX100 series is on point.

I don't even have an SSD in Bubbles yet, she can live with a 500GB HDD for a year. :p

Heading out to pick it up now, should be about a 3 hour adventure. Thanks for all the help, it is so very much appreciated! :D

Wow, you really get a kick out of punishing your children. Go pick up a SSD for them and you.

With a ~$400 budget, I say +1 for that Asus T100 tablet + keyboard/battery combo.

It's a functionality champion. If you think storage is a problem, you can get a 64GB microSD for cheap now (~$50?) or even a 128GB one. Furthermore, the keyboard has a USB 3.0 port so she can always carry an external 2.5" drive to keep the larger files like movies or whatever.

I think most teens nowadays just consume everything directly from the web (listen music from youtube channels, watch movies/series from netflix, etc.) and are less dependant on large storages like we grew up to.

Tablet mode will definitely beat chromebooks when it's used to read school material in PDFs.
Battery life with the keyboard dock on the Asus Transformer line is brutal. She'll get >12 hours easily with the added battery of the keyboard. She should be able to use it unplugged for two days, as Windows 8.1's connected standby seems to work quite well with BayTrail CPUs.

There's a version of the T100 with a 500GB HDD drive in the keyboard dock, but it should be a bit more expensive.

P.S.: Don't go for a bulky and thick laptop (whatever the screen size) and TN screen. Kids hate those.
Unless she's a gamer and is willing to sacrifice aesthetics for a discrete graphics card.

Last edited by a moderator:
She got herself her little Dell Inspiron 3147-3750sLV and she's extremely happy with it.

I'll take some happy picts later, just wanted to say thanks again. I really appreciate all the help, I never would have found one this good for her without all your help...thank you.

500GB 5400RPM HDD! I'm calling DSS... :devilish:

Otherwise that looks like a fine machine. I'm sure she'll love it.

Back