Looking for a laptop for my daughter for high school...

@digitalwanderer
nice, glad she also like it :D that laptop looks good..

@ToTTenTranz
my brother have T100 with HDD. and it is a bad experience. The power button is flacky. The tablet often stuck in limbo if goes to standby (cant turn on, it seems stuck in standby mode). It then fixed in warranty (they replace the motherboard) and now its broken again and they say they will need to replace the motherboard again.

But maybe its just my family that have bad luck with electronics...
My VAIO tap 11 die in just 1 month lol. And now the replacement VAIO tap 11 also already dying (SSD only 50MB/s speed, lots of random folder generated, keyboard often stuck, etc) while im in the middle of proposal writing :/

Late to the party but I would and did go with a samsung book 9 lite with 13" touch screen. I preferred the 1280x720 res over 1080p because Windows software doesn't scale that great yet. I think there are better options now but battery life is great and I've really enjoyed it having a touch screen.

@digitalwanderer
nice, glad she also like it :D that laptop looks good..

@ToTTenTranz
my brother have T100 with HDD. and it is a bad experience. The power button is flacky. The tablet often stuck in limbo if goes to standby (cant turn on, it seems stuck in standby mode). It then fixed in warranty (they replace the motherboard) and now its broken again and they say they will need to replace the motherboard again.

But maybe its just my family that have bad luck with electronics...
My VAIO tap 11 die in just 1 month lol. And now the replacement VAIO tap 11 also already dying (SSD only 50MB/s speed, lots of random folder generated, keyboard often stuck, etc) while im in the middle of proposal writing :/

Gotta upgrade the firmware. My T100 did the same thing until I updated.

She got herself her little Dell Inspiron 3147-3750sLV and she's extremely happy with it.

I'll take some happy picts later, just wanted to say thanks again. I really appreciate all the help, I never would have found one this good for her without all your help...thank you.

It uses a HDD for the O.S.? Like they did 10 years ago?
Oh gawd how is that not horrible?

TBH, the laptop looks really good. But no one deserves to use a painful HDD nowadays.

windows 8.1 with HDD is already fast and responsive. i think it should be fine as long as she never shut it down (just use standby).

It uses a HDD for the O.S.? Like they did 10 years ago?
Oh gawd how is that not horrible?

TBH, the laptop looks really good. But no one deserves to use a painful HDD nowadays.

Stupid consumers are still stuck on bigger numbers = better. 500Gb HDD must be better than a 128Gb SSD right?

If I can only choose one storage for my laptop, of course I will choose the bigger one. Right now in my country you can get 1TB of HDD vs 128 SSD. It's no brainer for me to choose the bigger one. For SSD to become the only storage on my laptop, it must be at least 256GB, 512GB would be ideal, 1TB is a luxury. Basically at 256GB I would compare how much I would get If I choose HDD, but at 500GB there is no second thought.
So yes, 500GB HDD is better than 128GB SSD because I need the bigger space.

themiddle ground of that is i think SSHDD.but for whatever reason, its very hard to get laptop with SSHDD.

btw in my country people easily copy stuff from somewhere (friend, internet cafe, etc). so 128GB HDD wont be enough.

me, myself also using 128 SSD for my tablet (augmented with 32 GB mSD) and it is not enough at all. There no music collection, only have 1 "heavy" video game installed (left 4 dead 2) and here my free space :/

z7jbmaq.png

EDIT:
dont mind about the SSD filled up are not good for health. It is already broken. Only 40-50MB/s write speed max and lots of random folder on C:\. err just checked again with ASSSD, now its only 30 MB/s haha and 4K read speed of 15 MB/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol my laptop has a 120GB Samsung 840 and I'll never fill it up. I even have Diablo 3 and Civ5 installed. Of course all my important files are stored on the company server.

Guess having Rhapsody, Hulu, and Netflix really changes things. Also having Intel 3000 graphics gives me little incentive to fill it up with games that will run at 5fps :)

I'm ok with a 256GB SSD in a small laptop. The benefits far outweigh the sacrifice in capacity. I have plenty of portable USB HDDs for storage. I always carry around my laptop bag so I always have space for the HDDs.

Back