Ok..I got a 6600GT a while ago..now its time to upgrade my MoBo

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
Its Time for a MotherBoard Upgrade !!!!!KA ME AH ME AH!!!!

I'm currently looking into upgrading my Motherboard and CPU (respectivley). These are my prerequisites for the upgrade.....

• PCI-e
    AGP (Basically the two slots on one Motherboard)
    939 Socket

Thats pretty much it...i'm not to worried about all the other stuff (USB, FireWire and Gigabit). I actually found a CPU and Motherboard that I may get (Motherboard first..then the CPU next time I get payed).

Motherboard: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ATX

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ / 512KB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Venice Core / Processor with Fan From www.NewEgg.com

EDIT: This one has a 2GHz FSB? Whats that about? From www.TigerDirect.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this will be a good upgrade to the current setup I have....

Basically...I hate my current setup. So i'm in dire need to upgrade. I chose the PCI-e/AGP board so I could use my 6600GT (AGP) Video Card without having to worry about getting a PCI-e Vid card to (I'm on a semi budget). Not only is it a cost thing...but I also JUST got Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2, and I would like to dive into those games right when I get both the MoBo and the CPU.

So what do you guys (I doubt there are any girls here...if there are girls..PM me
shifty.gif
...we'll work something out) think. Do you think that Motherboard with the AMD 64 3000+ (Venice) is a good upgrade? Also...do 64bit CPUs work with standard Windows XP Professional (32bit)? I was thinking of also sticking with a regular CPU (non 64bit) and worry about getting a 64bit CPU but with Dual-Core in the future (which will be the reason for the 939Socket Motherboard).....

EDIT: One last question, I'm not to familiar with AMD Processors, so I was wondering what the equivalent P4 Processor of the processor i'm looking at. I know there cannot be a direct comparison...but I want to somehow put it in perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the motherboard, I never seen one with agp and pci-e, it seems like a good deal and it has all 5 egg reviews

you can run a 32bit OS on the 64bit cpu just fine, and the venice core is great from what I hear it overclocks quite well, you will need some new ram also since the board uses DDR400

I was thinking about upgrading but I didn't want to get a new graphics card yet so I was putting it off, so if you get it tell us how the motherboard does

Can you Pay my bills? My telephone Bills...I don't think you will!!!

I just ordered the Motherboard off of NewEgg....i'm currently assesing my budget for the 3000+
whistling.gif
. Probably won't be able to get the CPU until my next pay check. But my Mobo should be at my workplace in 3 days (yay!). I can't wait to look at it..then set it to the side...and let it sit there...there...sitting...damnit...

Holy Crap!!!...I was reading (I believe that it was a review from Anand) that due to PCI-e and AGP being together like that..it would be possible to take your old AGP card and a new PCI-e card (for me...maybe next year) and have a quad monitor setup

:oops:

The board also has a "Future CPU Slot". I was looking at it and wondering what the slot was....it seemed as though it was another PCI-e slot. Appearently the slot is for Installing a riser card like board that allows you to install a 940 Socket CPU. I'm not sure if you can have two CPUs running at one time (that would rock) but I find it cool that I have a feature like that off of a $70 board.

I also can't wait to get some good speakers with this board...set up a nice 7 channel speaker setup and play some Battlefield 2 :devilish:

Back