*PS3 On an LCD Monitor? NEED HELP BADLY!*

qball546

Newcomer
OK. So, I have been searching the internet for days trying to find a solution to my little problem, and I cant seem to find a good answer.

I have a DELL 1907FP ultrasharp digital flat panel monitor, and a 1707fp (the same thing but 17" instead of 19") And I would like to use my ps3 on it. However, I do not know what kind of cables/hookups I need to get it working. Also, I need to know if my monitor can handle the input from the ps3. LCD flat panels are wierd with resolutions, and I dont want to screw up my very expensive monitor if it wont work. I dont care if I lose some resolution, or its not HiDef or whatever, I just want to hook my ps3 up to my monitor, and it not blow it up.
Ebay and other places have all kinds of different cables/adapters, but I dont know which would work. Below are a few links to some products i've seen, but i dont know which is right. Also, if you know of something that i dont put here, PLEASE post it up.
HDMI to DVI cable
GameSwitch
Component to DVI adapter
These are just a few of the many products out there. PLEASE tell me what I need to do this. I'd had to spend that money for a cable then it not work.

Links to what i have :
Each monitor has DVI and VGA input, as well as 4 usb slots.
My Monitor

I have a Radeon x1950 Pro video card, that IS HDCP compliant. It has 2 DVI outputs and a port it calls 'HDMI' that i've never seen before. I dont know what kind of cable uses it. It looks similar to S-Video, but its not the same, and its not like other HDMI ports. However, its probably for output, do i doubt i can use it.
My Video Card

I have 2 VGA cables, 2 DVI cables, an HDMI cable, and a component cable for the ps3.

If you need any other information please ask me and I will post it up. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!

The HDMI to DVI (or vice versa) cable should be fine. Of course this is assuming the PS3 doesn't require HDCP to actually display a picture. Maybe one of the other forum members can elaborate (which would be nice since I would have to use DVI on my TV [although it does support HDCP]).

I believe you'll run into issues trying to use HDMI/DVI out from the PS3, unless that monitor supports HDCP (which I don't think it does).

When PS3 outputs over it's HDMI, it expects HDCP... even if it hits DVI at the other end. A HDMI to DVI to VGA is definitely out of the question -- it's DVI-D, so you'll get nothing if you try to put a VGA adapter on it, iirc.

I'd look into some way of going Component -> some box -> VGA/DVI to monitor. I've not experienced any of this myself, so I can't really recommend any specific products -- but you'll want to stick with component out from the PS3, I'm thinking.

You'll need a HDMI to DVI cable. Monoprice is your friend. I do believe the monitor will have to be HDCP compliant, even to go into the XMB. Don't ask me why SCE did that. I was unable to find if your monitor supports HDCP (does not appear that it does). Therefore, alternatively, you could try something like this out. Check out this thread for more information and suggestions.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=39139

From that thread there are quite a few solutions. The following seems to be a good solution.

http://www.mayflash.com/vgabox/vga001/vga001.htm

1.jpg

thanks very much for the help.

however, i just realized that the cable i had was not component, it was audio/video. I only ever use the hdmi to my hdtv so i forgot what it was.

So am I going to need to get something that can take the audiovideo cable? or am I going to have to buy a component cable as well as that box.

I was hoping that this would be pretty cheap, a simple cable or adapter, but I dont think its going go turn out that way.

So you have a HDTV with hdmi? if so why don't you connect your PS3 into that?

well, i have linux and xp on my ps3, but because of the way a tv works, you cannot read anything when you use an OS. However, if I were to connect the ps3 to a computer monitor, I could clearly read everything. Right now, even on the lowest resolutions, every word is so blurry.

Also, my main concern for this whole thing is if my monitor will be able to handle it. If i were to find some combination of hookups to get my ps3 to display on my lcd monitor, would my lcd monitor be able to handle it?

Wow, that's terrible. Before I got an HDTV, I would just hook my 360 up to my PC Monitor over VGA. Easy as pie .

But with PS3, I guess you have to have HDMI/HDCP. Kind of sucks.

Well, I was searching ebay, and I found a cheap cable i could try out. My brother has the same monitor as me and he said it was HDCP compliant, so i went ahead and bought it

Link to the item

I figured, even if it doesnt work, the total price including shipping was only $7.28

Once it arrives and i test it out, ill post back here with details

Maybe this could help? It says it makes your display support HDCP and the PS3 is especifically mentioned. Though I have to admit I have no idea how it works or how much it costs, maybe someone else can enlighten us. It does look interesting anyway, here's the link:

http://www.hdfury.com/

It looks like it is made by the same Chinese group that makes the Ghost2 mod chip.

I highly doubt this is legal. They probably hijacked some other device's HDCP keys. There seems there is no way they could have legally obtained it. If the device key gets revoked that hack will become useless.

It looks like it is made by the same Chinese group that makes the Ghost2 mod chip.

I highly doubt this is legal. They probably hijacked some other device's HDCP keys. There seems there is no way they could have legally obtained it. If the device key gets revoked that hack will become useless.

Browsing through their site it says it's only for professionals or technicians since some law says consumers can't have access to unprotected content or something like that. I'll look up the exact quote and edit this post.

Edit
This product is exclusively reserved to service center and professionals
- HDCP rules compliant: no end-user access to decrypted analog video.
Once screwed, this module becomes "a part of the display itself".
The HDfury module is DIRECTLY screwed to the back of the RGB display (where SUB-D15 VGA port stand).

Last edited by a moderator:
AACS has not been cracked. It has only been hacked.

If the end result is that you can make a 1:1 copy of any movie out there, does it really matter?

Edit: Does anyone have any idea how much one should expect to pay for something like HDFury and how it works? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
just quick question, does ps3 support 16:10 screens??? if not so, do they letterbox to native 720p or 1080p resolutions???

any help appreciated :devilish:

just quick question, does ps3 support 16:10 screens??? if not so, do they letterbox to native 720p or 1080p resolutions???

any help appreciated :devilish:

Well, in Linux you can use 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA = ps3videomode -v 13) which is a 16:10 format.

As for 720p, 1080i and 1080p are concerned it's a question of how your display handles those resolutions.

Back