Hunting for a new 2-in-1 for my daughter's birthday in about 10 days...

The only advantage I see the Pavillion having is a normal USB port, while if you're willing to use the type-C and included dongle with the Spectre is no issue but you get Wacom compatibility...which I think is a pretty huge deal.

Definitely leaning towards the Spectre now, doing some research on it and various Wacom pens. :)

Love this thread. Thanks Dig for all the tech & family talk. I've been considering a Win10 tablet for my wife. So this discussion will be useful for that. However, your discussion of your daughter hit a real emotional nerve with me as I became a foster parent almost 3 years ago when my wife's granddaughter went into foster care at 4 weeks old. We have since adopted her & this will be her 3rd Christmas & your family discussion helped me appreciate & look forward to watching her grow up. Can't wait to read more dad chronicles. I want to be a great dad like you. :)

Tommy McClain

Woke up 3 hours ago just to get up and make sure there were no problems with the order, passed out again. The order is being processed for shipment now, and the flash sale is no longer available. My daughter is ecstatic about it as she was hoping we could persuade my wife to go just a little above budget to get it, and my wife is insanely pleased with me for coming in under budget and getting something Maddy loves.

It feels, it feels like victory. So much relief, so many happies. Now I'm just gonna be looking at a few USB hubs and some wacom pens and I am done with this puppy! :D

Thanks again.

Oh and AzBat, you're gonna have a ball. I hated myself and my life pretty much up until I was 27 and got married and everything just changed for me, doubly so when I became a dad. It's a lot, but it's a GOOD lot. There's gonna be lots of ups and downs, and many horrors and delights, but I would not change it for the world and it has been without a doubt the very best years of my life. The older I get the more fun/happier I've become, and I think that's weird and cool. :)

And in further news, my wife was quite pleased when she heard about what I did. So I went ahead and ordered the stylus made for the Spectre X2 from Best Buy, a USB-C to a 3-port hub with an ethernet adapter built in, a 50' cat 6 cable, and some spare AAAA batteries.

The total is about $420 after everything, so I'm still pleased. :)

The active stylus takes them and I heard they only last a few weeks so I figured stock up.

In my Sony ntrig stylus, aaaa battery last 1 year.

But I don't use it to draw every single day. Only a few weeks in a month.

Btw ntrig stylus is compatible across brands.

It came today, she talked me in to letting her open it early so she could get it all set up. I ordered an incompatible USB-c to RJ45 so I just ordered another one that should be here tomorrow along with her stylus.

She is VERY happy, it's an insanely nice laptop. Thank you again all! :D

Oh and AzBat, you're gonna have a ball. I hated myself and my life pretty much up until I was 27 and got married and everything just changed for me, doubly so when I became a dad. It's a lot, but it's a GOOD lot. There's gonna be lots of ups and downs, and many horrors and delights, but I would not change it for the world and it has been without a doubt the very best years of my life. The older I get the more fun/happier I've become, and I think that's weird and cool

Dig I think we had a similar experiences. Didn't get married until I was 28. My 15 year anniversary is this week. Helped raise my youngest step-son & he's now 21 & out of the house. Now we're starting all over. My daughter's name is Addie :) & we're adopting a 14-month old boy that we've been fostering since he was 2 weeks old. House is never boring around here. :) So far I'm happier than I have ever been & wouldn't change it for the world. So I understand where you're coming from. Can't wait for Christmas & to see it through my kids' eyes. Keep posting your chronicles. I love reading them. Maybe I will do the same once we're no longer fostering. Just no idea when that will be. :)

Tommy McClain

Back