Little peek inside SOE hosting

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
Big Games, Big Systems
Rizzo heads up a team of around 50 systems administrators and troubleshooters. “Our group is responsible for all the live operations of the games, data centers, Internet access, security, and the network operations center,” said Rizzo. “I head that whole group and work to build strategy around quality of service as well as uptime. We also work a lot with the games when it comes to deployment. We have in the range of 6,000 to 7,000 servers.”

http://www.sysmannews.com/content/article.aspx?ArticleID=32072

I've been there... Amusing that they don't mention that's where the PSN essentially resides.

I've been there... Amusing that they don't mention that's where the PSN essentially resides.

Interesting. If I understand correctly, SOE is now a part of SCE (can't remember which region). Is PSN residing on SOE servers a result of their absorption into SCE or was it a precursor to that happening? Or perhaps its just coincidental and made the most sense at the time, regardless of what division SOE was under?

You're right that SOE has recently been moved under 'games' in the divisional structuring, but the server situation predates that. SOE's played a large role in getting the PSN network off the ground from the very beginning.

Back