Lies of P [XBSX|S, PS5, PC, XGP] - Pinocchio meets Bloodborne

mr magoo

Veteran
I havent seen any topic about this game it looks very solid, strong BB vibes.

In Lies of P, you are Pinocchio, “a puppet mechanoid” on the hunt for Gepetto and in pursuit of gaining his own humanity. Set in the city of Krat, Pinocchio will fight through a “once-beautiful city that has now become a living hell filled with unspeakable horrors.” Pinocchio is effectively a steampunk Mega Man, and players can change parts of his body to access new skills and battle abilities. Neowiz also teases that enhancements can also provide “several other unique and useful features.”

Of course, another of Pinocchio’s characteristics — lying — factors into gameplay as well, tying into procedural quests that will affect the story of Lies of P.

Key features

• A Dark Fairytale Retold – The timeless tale of Pinocchio has been reimagined with dark and striking visuals. Set in the fallen city of Krat, Pinocchio desperately fights to become human against all odds.
  • Visual Concept – The city of Krat was inspired by the Belle Epoque Era in Europe (late 19th Century to the early 20th Century) and is the epitome of a collapsed city bereft of prosperity.
  • “Lying” Quests and Multiple Endings – Experience interconnected procedural quests that play out depending on how you lie. These choices will then affect how the story ends.
  • Weapon-Making System – You can combine weapons in a multitude of ways to create something new altogether. Research to find the best combinations and make something truly special.
  • Special Skill System – With Pinocchio being a doll, you can change parts of his body to gain new skills and hopefully an edge in battle. But not all of the enhancements are for fighting though, they can also provide several other unique and useful features.

Pinocchio-meets-Bloodborne action RPG Lies of P coming 2023, day one on Game Pass - Polygon
Lies of P launches in 2023 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and PC - Gematsu

Lies of P New Gameplay 12 Minutes (4K) - YouTube

I am so looking forward to trying this thanks to it being on Xbox GamePass Day One.

I'm not a Souls player, but the game being on the subscription service means I'll definitely try it to see if my game tastes have changed or it strikes my fancy.

Gameplay Reveal trailer from Gamescom:

Roughly 12 minutes of gameplay footage also from Gamescom:

Hopefully good gameplay mechanics, good performance and even frame pacing. The rest is solid as hell I am already sold. Also yeah day1 GP is huge.

Hope it's good. It's tough to get a Souls-like game just right to where it feels good. Hard and punishing, but not unfairly so. Looks decent, although not on the level of From Software's attention to detail. Then again it probably also has a much smaller team.

Probably would wait to see people playing it before deciding whether to try it or not, but with it being on GP, there's no barrier to trying it to see if it's good.

Regards,
SB

Really tempted by this, looks amazing and great reviews, but I'm not sure I have the mental capacity for a big soulsborne at the moment, not with so much coming out in the next month or so.

From the video the atmosphere and storyline seem compelling but will need to see more reviews regarding game mechanics.

Played through the intro and through some of the starting bits. About 90mins. Gameplay isn’t anything enticing. Graphically nothing impressive. The environment is static. You can smash the same crates over and over.

Played through the intro and through some of the starting bits. About 90mins. Gameplay isn’t anything enticing. Graphically nothing impressive. The environment is static. You can smash the same crates over and over.
I watched some videos and it looks middling so far. It was more interesting at first and I believe they changed the art direction? It was much closer to Bloodborne initially but changed as the development moved forward.

Good review. It basically could have been a FromSoft game. Really polished with some neat ideas. However, also can be punishingly difficult. Difficulty is fair as long as you learn how to play and learn enemy moves and timings. IE - there's no random one shots if you get good at the game.

Regards,
SB

Back