Leaked ATi internal slides

Don't get too upset I don't really think there is anything horrible about it. Just like others said all it means is they will try to have more shaders inculded.

The point I think many people miss is that if the ATI card did worse on shaders they would try to make less shaders included. That is what a company does try to make its product look good compared to the competition. I think this part is a little sad, but if one suddenly quit then the others cards would be unfairly glorified by the benchmark, so as long as both fight maybe they will come out kind of even. And of course there is always those like on this board that will actually test specifics and say this one does x, in y passes and so forth.

I have no problem with most of it, and the evangelism thing I just thought was funny, "Wo unto the heathen that uses an Nvidia product for he SHALL BURN, oh yes my brethren, not only will your case be twice as hot, and your wallet half as thick but you will pay the ultimate in price..."

And yes I get the evangelistc vibe from some people, a lot of us are swayed by common sense, and believe me anyone who was not clouded by Nvidia evengelism would see that the FX series was inferior. I mean I was excited about them till they actually came out and then I realized they were not for me. Most people are really smart enough that you dont need to get all emotional to sway them, and yes I do realize it has a place.

Just a thought, IF ATI did means that first point in a way we would not like could this be the beginning of ATI starting to act likd nvidia?

Can you imagine 2-3 years from now with nvida out of graphics and ATI pushing it's weight around, some of us saying... "I remember when it all started back when.."

ByteMe said:
Just a thought, IF ATI did means that first point in a way we would not like could this be the beginning of ATI starting to act likd nvidia?

Can you imagine 2-3 years from now with nvida out of graphics and ATI pushing it's weight around, some of us saying... "I remember when it all started back when.."
No, I don't think it means that at all ByteMe. I'm actually starting to question the legitimacy of that first slide, some bright-eyed folks at Rage3D spotted some discrepencies on it examining it photoshop.

Besides, considering where these slides came from I'm starting to feel used and played like a fiddle....I really think I screwed up by posting them and did ATi a disservice they did NOT deserve. :(

My first impression when I saw em was they were photoshoped.. dunno just something about them. Some of the language seems a bit odd too, no? Figured maybe I was being overly paranoid.

As for you posting them.. I dont think its that big of a deal either way really.. Better to have posted and figure out their fake (if they are) then to have not and always have been suspicious. I think you've done more than enough for ATI btw. Companies like people like you.. passionate.. and vocal. Im sure they both sides are doing whatever they can to win you over.

digitalwanderer said:
No, I don't think it means that at all ByteMe. I'm actually starting to question the legitimacy of that first slide, some bright-eyed folks at Rage3D spotted some discrepencies on it examining it photoshop.

Besides, considering where these slides came from I'm starting to feel used and played like a fiddle....I really think I screwed up by posting them and did ATi a disservice they did NOT deserve. :(

Very good chance this is BS. Does this mean next time you will submit "evidence" you will be more careful about your comments with it? How does it feel to be used? Just giving you a hard time Dig, I do agree you should have posted it... I do hope it is in fact BS.

ByteMe said:
digitalwanderer said:

Very good chance this is BS. Does this mean next time you will submit "evidence" you will be more careful about your comments with it? How does it feel to be used?
I feel all cheap and dirty right now about it actually. :(

ATI's Patti Mikula said:
A competitor is distributing select slides from an internal ATI presentation which, out of context, can portray ATI in a negative light. To clarify our stance on developer relations, ATI offers the following comment:

ATI encourages game developers to adopt new industry standards. Benchmarks that use standard APIs - or almost any benchmark that reflects real-world game play - show ATI products in a good light because our performance is much faster than competing products in any standard code path. However, ATI's interests are aligned with those of gamers. Industry standard APIs, such as DirectX 9, allow developers more time to concentrate on game play and developing new features. Standard APIs help them incorporate the latest and best graphics into their games and get them into the hands of gamers more quickly.

Unfortunately whoever is distributing this presentation chose not to include the remaining slides in the deck which explain our position more clearly. In fact, the very next slide comprised these points:

ATI is making a long term investment spending resources wisely on industry standards to ensure all current and future games and other applications will run well

- ATI hardware is future proof.

ATI is focusing on the open standards that developers are also working towards.
-The best performance with all games not just a selection.
-Top performance across all benchmarks.

ATI is building long term relationships with co-operation, communication, co-ordination, consideration and trust.
-Developers adopt features faster to create more demand for upgrading.
-Future proof hardware
-Less support calls.

-More sales and positive reviews - due to reputation for games working out of the box.

The plot thickens. Assuming ati's telling the truth, this could end up backfiring on the "anonymous competitor" who's distributing the slide. As if people aren't pissed off enough already. :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how this latest melodramatic soup opera turns out. It's turning into one of those things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmm...."

Pr( )ZaC said:
Well, you got S3/VIA :LOL:, XGI, Matrox, nVidia and a few others.
The name nVidia smells more than the others...

None of those other companies are competing in the same high-end markets as ATI and Nvidia. ATI and Nvidia are the two big gorillas slugging it out - everyone else is miles back. That's why Nvidia is the one likely to run smear tactics, especially going on their record of smearing 3DMark, Fraps, Valve, or anything else that shows them in a bad light.

Back