Kojima talks to Kotaku about MGS4

Aaarrrrrrgh!!! He's a f**ing PS3 Dev, for right now! Don't take his words too seriously. He decided for whatever reason to make this game for the PS3 and will optimize it for the platform. He is Konami's star and has alot riding on this game so he will propagandize. Noone should fall for his stuff.

From what I've seen, the cpu usage utilization of xb360 games is less than 5%.
Maybe you have seen wrong. That number you stated is completely ridiculous. Maybe something like 50 or 70% would sound believable, but 5% is completely out of this world.
Shifty said:
Again, I'm not agreeing with the man; just discussing semantics of his argument!
I think you explained it nicely. But even if he's right, I doubt his game will be the game that will show cinema experience impossible on Xbox 360.

:LOL:
I understand that. I'm just pointing out the rediculous elitest attitude he is encouraging is baseless and unfounded. ;)

I figured that Chef. I'm of the mind that his elitism doesn't matter and should be taken at face value. Here is the constipated smily for your pleasure:mad:

I'm not sure what the point being made was, but I'd doubt a statement like "cpu utilisation for audio in 360 games has been ~5%". If you look at the case studies in that old MS presentation, Kameo and PGR3, PGR3 had for example one core solely working with XAudio, and a thread on another core working on 'Audio Update'. Now, a core having only one thread working on audio doesn't tell us anything about how much that thread was doing, but the theme of those case studies was how it was wise to put one busy thread on each core, along with one less busy thread. Or perhaps on its own where a thread would be very busy indeed.

Of course, one can't place a single figure on audio requirements for all games. It will vary from game to game. I guess I'm just saying I'm fairly sure there are 360 games out there using a lot more than 5% of CPU-time for audio-related processing.

Anyway, this is probably straying OT.

Exactly, yet another ridiculous statement.
With slight changes to the textures this statement is 100% false, and UT on ps3 will prove it.

/offtopic

I couldn't find where I saw the 5% figure for audio usage and I would welcome any dev that has knowledge on the subject to chime in.

My point was audio processing should not be a factor or limitation between consoles this gen, and specifically, in mgs4.

It's only your interpratation of what he said. Of course, a game made specifically for PS3 (that exploits all its strengths) would be hard to port to Xbox 360, but isn't it true vice versa? I doubt he had such obviousness in mind. He specifically said that "hardware is no longer a matter".

But it's an old debate, so I think there's no point going back to it;)
Ofcourse vice versa would also be true, but still doesnt change that point

Actually the opposite meaning is the other people's interpretation(that MGS4 the way he wants to make it on the PS3 is also done on a 360). Kojima's statements on the consoles shows exactly the opposite of that "other people's" interpretation.

Back