PC
KongPillarPC.jpg

Xbox 360
KongPillar.jpg

PC
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/jonesck1/CobblestonePC.jpg

Xbox 360
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/jonesck1/Cobblestone.jpg

You can see the relief and detail is present in the XB360 and looking very nice, but the grabs are diabolical. Totally over contrasted. It's also apparent this is far from the best a PC can do, so I'm not sure what the purpose of comparing them is. Perhaps a XB360 vs XB comparison is more appropriate, which I saw of a little before.

pakpassion said:
PC
Xbox 360

The PC version is a direct port of the xbox version and built on a completely different engine so im not sure what the validity of the comparison is. If anything this games significance on the PC is that it will be one of the final (thankfully) last gen ports to the PC.

No doubt the devs didn't see the point in re-working the X360 version for the PC when the xbox version would transfer over with practically no work.

Umm guys,

There is 2 versions of the King Kong game for PC.

The original version is a port of the XB0x1. The Special "Gamer Edition" is a port of the XB360.

The minimum specs for the gamer version:

CPU: Pentium IV 3.0 GHZ /AMD 3000+
RAM: 2 GB
VIDEO CARD: 256 MB video card (Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0)
Soundcard: DirectX 9.0c compartible, EAX 3.0
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Free HD space: at least 5 GB

http://www.gamesload.de/de/shop/adventure/00613.php

Did they update the demo disk in the kiosks? Cause the Kong game i played in my Walmart looked like the PC screen shots. I wasn't impressed at all. But these shots of the 360 game look awesome!

Synergy34 said:
Did they update the demo disk in the kiosks? Cause the Kong game i played in my Walmart looked like the PC screen shots. I wasn't impressed at all. But these shots of the 360 game look awesome!

Maybe the Walmart kiosk was running XBox1 version? (is it on the compatibility list?)

Kaotik said:
Maybe the Walmart kiosk was running XBox1 version? (is it on the compatibility list?)

Dont think it is, but the list could have changed. Perhaps he played the xbox1 version on xbox1 though. :)

pjbliverpool said:
No doubt the devs didn't see the point in re-working the X360 version for the PC when the xbox version would transfer over with practically no work.

Actually, Ubisoft devised a method for automatically adding surface detail for the X360 version, based on the original source models. Why couldn't they do the same for the PC?

scooby_dooby said:
Actually, Ubisoft devised a method for automatically adding surface detail for the X360 version, based on the original source models. Why couldn't they do the same for the PC?

If the above link is true about 2 different version for the PC then what you say can't be true. Otherwise it would simply have been implemented as an option in the PC version. There must be more fundamental differences in the game engine.

The X360 version is completely different from teh XBOX, PS2 and PC versions. If the X360 version gets ported back to PC I guess we'll have to see, has anyone confirmed that link is true?

In any case, I don't see how they could have it ready for launch day for the PC, it would have to come out later as a seperate versio or something...

"Making the Montreal team's life even more difficult is that it isn't able to start work on upgrading any area of the game until it receives something resembling final PS2 assets from the Montpellier team. Since both games are supposed to be released around the same time, it's important that the Xbox 360 team be able to work quickly and efficiently, which is why it spent time developing a "displacement tool" that does some of the work automatically. We're not entirely sure how the displacement tool works, but based on the demonstration, it seems the tool is able to take environments from the PS2 game to create more-detailed geometry using information from the textures. Advanced texturing and bump-mapping techniques (not unlike the "virtual displacement mapping" of Epic's Unreal Engine 3.0) are then used to give relatively flat surfaces the appearances of craggy walls and uneven rocky paths, for example. "
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kingkong/news.html?sid=6135061

scooby_dooby said:
The X360 version is completely different from teh XBOX, PS2 and PC versions. If the X360 version gets ported back to PC I guess we'll have to see, has anyone confirmed that link is true?

I've followed the link, it download a 600 MB exe that start to decompress, but at 55% it request a .r00 part

seems a joke or a fake

scooby_dooby said:

In any case, I don't see how they could have it ready for launch day for the PC, it would have to come out later as a seperate versio or something...

"Making the Montreal team's life even more difficult is that it isn't able to start work on upgrading any area of the game until it receives something resembling final PS2 assets from the Montpellier team. Since both games are supposed to be released around the same time, it's important that the Xbox 360 team be able to work quickly and efficiently, which is why it spent time developing a "displacement tool" that does some of the work automatically. We're not entirely sure how the displacement tool works, but based on the demonstration, it seems the tool is able to take environments from the PS2 game to create more-detailed geometry using information from the textures. Advanced texturing and bump-mapping techniques (not unlike the "virtual displacement mapping" of Epic's Unreal Engine 3.0) are then used to give relatively flat surfaces the appearances of craggy walls and uneven rocky paths, for example. "
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kingkong/news.html?sid=6135061

It does appear to be true, there are several websites linking it and theirs a thread about it in the offical King Kong Unisoft forums (apparently they have officially annoubced it).

Apparently you can download and activate today. Im not sure if its a port of the X360 version or not but whatever it is, its not a simple upgrade from the standard version. Oh and it has some ridiculously heavy system requirements so it better be at least the equal of the X360 version.

EDIT: Its defintaly true:

http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=349

Last edited by a moderator:
pjbliverpool said:
Oh and it has some ridiculously heavy system requirements so it better be at least the equal of the X360 version.

It sure does. SM 3.0. That's pretty much just the X1800 right? I read G70 is not 3.0 compliant.

Also, score one for the next-gen disc size debate. King-Kong is at ~5GB uncompressed and installed.

scooby_dooby said:
It sure does. SM 3.0. That's pretty much just the X1800 right? I read G70 is not 3.0 compliant.

Also, score one for the next-gen disc size debate. King-Kong is at ~5GB uncompressed and installed.

Im pretty sure both have been certified by MS as fully SM3.0 complient even though they both don't strictly live up to the letter of the standard.

It actually turns out that these are the recommended specs rather than the minimum specs so the game won't necessarily be that mind blowing. Should still look pretty damn good though.

Back