Kinect Games

and it's coming to Windows in February with 200 companies working on windows applications

wow

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

This Kinect Sensor for Windows has a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers and includes a small dongle to improve coexistence with other USB peripherals. The new firmware enables the depth camera to see objects as close as 50 centimeters in front of the device without losing accuracy or precision, with graceful degradation down to 40 centimeters. “Near Mode” will enable a whole new class of “close up” applications, beyond the living room scenarios for Kinect for Xbox 360.

Interesting. Big difference in price on the Kinect vs the Xbox one, so I'm guessing there are some significant changes to the internals for those new features.

Interesting. Big difference in price on the Kinect vs the Xbox one, so I'm guessing there are some significant changes to the internals for those new features.

I'm not so sure there is an actual difference. They only mention a new firmware, which combined with their dedicated USB 2.0 port requirement to me suggests much more that they're just not bottlenecked on the PC like they are on 360, and that they've optimised the firmware for that mode of operation. Not entirely sure of course if that is really true, but that's my guess. And the student version is $149, which is similar to 360's Kinect, suggesting a similar manufacturing cost. Considering what the device does, they should easily be able to get away with a relatively premium price for now despite the BOM, and of course they have a healthy R&D, marketing etc. investment to earn back money on, so why start lower?

But that's just conjecture though.

It could just be that the X360 version is selling at or near cost of manufacture. The device itself is just used to push software packages with much higher profit margins.

On the PC, MS doesn't get licensing fee's from each company selling software that runs on Windows, so that extra 100 USD premium might just be there so they make a profit on the sale of the hardware.

Regards,
SB

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/

...We are proud to bring technology priced in the tens of thousands of dollars just a few years ago to the mainstream at extremely low consumer prices. And although Kinect for Windows is still value-priced for the technology, some will ask us why it isn’t the same price as Kinect for Xbox.

The ability to sell Kinect for Xbox 360 at its current price point is in large part subsidized by consumers buying a number of Kinect games, subscribing to Xbox LIVE, and making other transactions associated with the Xbox 360 ecosystem. In addition, the Kinect for Xbox 360 was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 console only, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported or under warranty when used on any other platform.

From reading around it sounds like it has a full USB 2.0 interface and some changes to the camera lenses to support "near" mode. Reading further on the blog, this was actually announced quietly in November. Looks like the hardware was tweaked a bit, and this unit will not be compatible with Xbox 360. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwi...2/kinect-for-windows-building-the-future.aspx

It does make me wonder if they'll eventually be releasing a "professional" version of the Kinect camera system for use with business and industry. An area where they can charge significantly more with the attendant large margin.

Regards,
SB

At $250 SRP, what's the market actually going to be? Surely it'll be too niche among gamers to be worth targeting. In fact won't it be too niche for anyone to target? I can't see who it's going to sell to to write software for, resulting in no software to actually use Kinect. On XB360 it's obvious use was motion gaming. What's the use on a PC viewed from 50" away (way further than I am from my PC currently, or have ever sat from a PC!) where you have a mouse for pixel-perfect interfacing?

Not sure but there are plenty of niche controllers (good steering wheel systems can go for 500 USD and up, good flight control systems, etc.) which sell around that or more. Some people are willing to pay up to 100+ USD (my own mouse runs ~80 USD) for a good "gaming" mouse along with another 50-100+ USD (again ~80 USD keyboard) on keyboard.

You have people willing to pay 500+ USD for a video card. People who were willing to pay 1000+ USD for a CPU that's barely faster than ones that were 1/3 that price. People paying 250-400 USD for a motherboard when they could do just about as well with a 100 or less USD MB. Same goes for Memory, SSD's, etc.

I have a feeling this will be something altogether different from Kinect for X360.

Where Kinect for X360 is solidly targeted at the casuals with game companies slowly finding ways to incorporate it into more core game types, the PC is going the opposite direction.

On PC it's more targeted at enthusiasts, developers, businesses, laboratories, schools, hobbyists, etc. initially with MS later moving down to more casual types as developers find engaging applications.

So basically initial audience target is at opposite ends of the spectrum. You can tell just by looking at the requirements. You are required to use the Kinect for Windows SDK in order to run anything on Kinect. That's going to move it out of the hands of most casual types for the time being.

Regards,
SB

18 Million Kinect Sensors sold :oops:

Well I'll say this much, my wife has no interest in games yet she just setup an xblive account because she loves Kinect. In particular she really likes the Your Shape Fitness 2012 game, she's using it every day and I've started to as well. She hasn't really played games since the Intellivision days so it's neat to see her interested in them again. Or as she put it, "Finally something for me". My sister in law and her daughter tried it at an Xbox 360 store in Montreal while I was there and they loved it as did the other ladies that were there. This device seems to really connect with the female audience, I'd be curious to know if there is any demographic breakdown of who is using Kinect.

At $250 SRP, what's the market actually going to be? Surely it'll be too niche among gamers to be worth targeting. In fact won't it be too niche for anyone to target? I can't see who it's going to sell to to write software for, resulting in no software to actually use Kinect. On XB360 it's obvious use was motion gaming. What's the use on a PC viewed from 50" away (way further than I am from my PC currently, or have ever sat from a PC!) where you have a mouse for pixel-perfect interfacing?

It doesn't seem like they're approaching it from a mass market approach on the PC. Looks like they're interested in making it a specialty product. For instance, if you wanted to build an interactive display system for retail stores, you would develop and pay for this version because you'd have warranty and support etc.

We have chosen a hardware-only business model for Kinect for Windows, which means that we will not be charging for the SDK or the runtime; these will be available free to developers and end-users respectively. As an independent developer, IT manager, systems integrator, or ISV, you can innovate with confidence knowing that you will not pay license fees for the Kinect for Windows software or the ongoing software updates, and the Kinect for Windows hardware you and your customers use is supported by Microsoft.
Emphasis mine

Not sure but there are plenty of niche controllers (good steering wheel systems can go for 500 USD and up, good flight control systems, etc.)
Yeah, but they already have a software market in racing games or FPSes for high quality mice etc. Kinect needs ground-up designed software. Just having a Kinect plugin that maps gestures to key presses won't go down a bundle with the PC gamer!

It doesn't seem like they're approaching it from a mass market approach on the PC. Looks like they're interested in making it a specialty product. For instance, if you wanted to build an interactive display system for retail stores, you would develop and pay for this version because you'd have warranty and support etc.
Yeah, I think it's looking more that way. Basically it's Kinect for professionals, and not for entertainment. Presumably companies will resell Kinect as part of a product.

I had actually had a thought for its use professionally (not games) but I want to flesh it out first. I also have a hard time dropping $250 on this when I already have two Kinects in my household and nothing but MacBook Pros (+one old iMac) + all the $hit I've given the 3DS and Vita for being $250+.

here are some of the companies MS announced was already engaged in working on software for the PC Kinect

7X7WY.png

What's the use on a PC viewed from 50" away (way further than I am from my PC currently, or have ever sat from a PC!) where you have a mouse for pixel-perfect interfacing?

Its 50 centimeters, not inches

The new firmware enables the depth camera to see objects as close as 50 centimeters in front of the device without losing accuracy or precision, with graceful degradation down to 40 centimeters. “Near Mode” will enable a whole new class of “close up” applications, beyond the living room scenarios for Kinect for Xbox 360.

Well, I hope Kinect 2, or whatever works with the next xbox allows you to stand within a shorter distance. I'm guessing this near mode is not for full-body, so I'm curious to see if the distance restrictions will be the same in that case. Even a few feet of improvement would be welcome. It'll be interesting to see what changes they made to the camera lenses to make this work. I don't know much about cameras. That said, having such a short working distance for interaction with hand gestures etc is pretty great.

Its 50 centimeters, not inches
Ahh, should have paid more attention. I guess I assumed it was inches as it's a US product.

As for those software partners, apart from Mattel there's not really much of relevance to this thread. And I don't see Mattel really targeting kids games for a $250 peripheral. They'd surely target XB360 for that.

Back