Kinect Games

I'm going to give Just Dance 3 some more playtime, my first impressions were not that good and the playlist just didn't/isn't do(ing) anything for me. :???:

KS2 or Just Dance?

We are already done with the KS2 demo. "I don't have anything more to say about that."

I enjoyed the ks2 demo, golf should be a nice MP game. Tennis, while far from precise could be a decent workout.

I read a more in-depth review of Just Dance 3 and I'm going to approach the game somewhat different now, though, I know I pre-ordered Dance Central 2 and that comes out [strike]soon[/strike] EDIT: LOL, tomorrow it appears; I am seriously losing touch with gaming info.

Hey guys you think Kinect would be playable for a 5.5 year old and 3 year old generally speaking, or is that pushing it? We're thinking of getting a 360+Kinect for our niece and nephew to let them bounce around and be goofy, just not sure if they are too young for it. I know the above video shows young kids using it but realistically I'm not sure about the 3 year old.

5 definitely, 3 might be pushing it, but kids vary greatly at that age, some might get right into it. Right game and right kid could be a good match. I had some 2.5 year old twins playing with mine, and they waved their arms around and stuff and made things happen on screen with kinectimals, not sure I'd say they were playing. (they kept wanting to run up and touch the screen)

Hey guys you think Kinect would be playable for a 5.5 year old and 3 year old generally speaking, or is that pushing it? We're thinking of getting a 360+Kinect for our niece and nephew to let them bounce around and be goofy, just not sure if they are too young for it. I know the above video shows young kids using it but realistically I'm not sure about the 3 year old.

Definitely, the 3 might need some help depending on game with navigation but something like Sesame Street (the game) shouldn't be much of a problem. Kinectimals can be a pain most times but it looks so good there are so many titles coming out this holiday that we might normally scoff at that the littlest one might enjoy not to mention most of them were in the amazon.com buy two get one.

Our Kinect setup, which works really well in general, does not track our 3 year old (now nearly 4) daughter. She is starting a growth spurt so that will change.

When we got the Kinect last year our sons were 6 and 4 and they totally took to the Kinect right away--they really loved the Kinect boxing.

Anyhow a lot will depend on the setup, how tall they are, and in regards to enjoyment if they are directed some at first & then have a desire to continue to enjoy. Each kid is different. Our 1 year old, when he sees the Xbox out, runs in front of the monitor and begins kicking in the air (simulating the soccer challenge) thinking he is "playing" so he is already a primed Kinect gamer ;)

My niece loves fruit ninja kinect. She just turned 4, but the thing *just* barely detects her. My setup isn't exactly ideal so I'm surprised it even works. She needed a bit of help trying to slice fast enough though.

My son is also three and can play stuff like Start the Party, Puuyos, the Sword Fighting minigame in Sports Champions and lately he has taken amazingly well to Everybody Dance, both dancing and singing at the same time, and actually following many of the routines. So I reckon that as long as Kinect accepts your nephew and niece, they are likely to enjoy games like Dance Central too.

He is also starting to get the hang if the controller, and loves driving Joe into a Shark infested pool because he loves that animation. That game is coming to XBLA too :) And he likes the Buzz Dinosaurs kids game, and a local Dutch language SingStar Junior version.

Young kids are a great demonstration of the superiority of motion gaming in general imho, showing how much more natural it comes to them.

My son is also three and can play stuff like Start the Party, Puuyos, the Sword Fighting minigame in Sports Champions and lately he has taken amazingly well to Everybody Dance, both dancing and singing at the same time, and actually following many of the routines. So I reckon that as long as Kinect accepts your nephew and niece, they are likely to enjoy games like Dance Central too.

He is also starting to get the hang if the controller, and loves driving Joe into a Shark infested pool because he loves that animation. That game is coming to XBLA too :) And he likes the Buzz Dinosaurs kids game, and a local Dutch language SingStar Junior version.

Young kids are a great demonstration of the superiority of motion gaming in general imho, showing how much more natural it comes to them.

Thats kind of where I was going, the games like EDIT: Hole in the wall and leedmees which may not be adult favorites can tend to occupy lots of time for the smaller kids. I'm not sure if whattheyplay.com is any good anymore after the buyout but it is what I used most of the time to try and decide if a T was "appropriate" (my version of that) for my son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, plus they have piles of energy to get rid of. We just had two kids over, one girl aged 7 and one boy aged 4. Together with my son of 3 they played a lot of dancing, great way to get them busy. The 7 year old also loved to watched other performances, really admiring them.

A change from SingStar by the way is that from day one all the videos you upload are also watcheable on PC and shareable on Facebook, twitter etc.

Here's my son. Notice that this time I wasn't holding a controller, and when my son heard me clap (and saw me on the screen), he put down the controller to be able to clap as well :D Score one for Kinect ;)

http://www.dancestarparty.com/nl_NL/community.html?media=133086

And here's the one with some of the other kids:

http://www.dancestarparty.com/nl_NL/community.html?media=133084

And the 7yo girl kept up quite well with me right away:

http://www.dancestarparty.com/nl_NL/community.html?media=133086

Has anyone tried using props with Kinect? Would a couple of...table tennis bats help the arms be tracked? Or maybe dropping the Kinect lower and having them stand a little close. Or is it just that little kids don't stand still long enough for Kinect to get lock?! :D

Has anyone tried using props with Kinect? Would a couple of...table tennis bats help the arms be tracked? Or maybe dropping the Kinect lower and having them stand a little close. Or is it just that little kids don't stand still long enough for Kinect to get lock?! :D

My wife uses a plate in JoyRide and a paddle in KinectSports for table tennis. Oh and naturally my son uses any and all swords we have floating around the house in Fruit Ninja Kinect. Having said that though the props (except the paddle) actually make it harder for them to play.

Harmonix

Most Profitable Year
Fast-forward a year, and Dance Central has sold more than 2.5 million copies at $60 each, making it the No. 2 bestselling game for the Kinect (the top game is Kinect Sports, which often comes bundled with the console). Thanks to Dance Central, 2011 will be the most profitable year Harmonix has ever recorded, says Hunziker, and he expects $100 million in revenue for the 200- employee company.

Back