Kind of like a laptop...

digitalwanderer said:
{Sniping}Waste said:
Ill see what I can find for you DW. In the computer fairs around Dallas, I have found 64meg EDO sodimms for $1 to $5 used. If I find one for you, Ill ship it.
Dang it, I should have asked you first.

Thanks for the thought, but I already ordered the memory and it's shipped. If you see any decent HDs that will fit it that are around 20Gb let me know, I can't seem to find them cheap yet.

I think your going to lucky if it can see more then 8 gig and its a pain to get to the HDD. The ram is much easyer. Just remove the center screew on the back of the lappy. The other two screews are unter the floppy and battery so remove both and there is on screew on each side and that will alow you to pull up the keyboard were the ram slot is.

{Sniping}Waste said:
I think your going to lucky if it can see more then 8 gig and its a pain to get to the HDD.
Just had to hook up a 60GB drive to an i430VX board last week - BIOS only reported the first 8GBs but windows recognised and handled it correctly.

F-ing bloody propriatary "tamper-proof" screws! I was digging all over for my starhead/funky head collection when I just gave up and frustrated it out with a very small headed flat-blade and a lot of aingst. :?

The swapping of the memory was easier than easy, and it was seen and working perfect first try. The laptop is still slow, but at least it's slow like a 266Mhz rather than slow like a 266Mhz w/16Mb trying to run win98.

HUUUUUUGE difference in speed/performance, very noticeable. Muchly worth it.

98SE is very stable as long as you don't install lots of stuff. The more you really use it, the more it gets messed up. Though it is really a pretty good OS and is so very light on the resources that it's nice for a lot of tasks. And it's small on the disk too. And I think it can still run all the newest hardware.

Quality VXD drivers rock too. Stupid WDM tossing down-to-the-metal out the window. Bah! :)

Back