Kind of like a laptop...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My father picked up a used Compaq Armada 7380DMT and just dropped it on me "to see if I could make it useful".

I'm just about to start, but when I saw it boot up with 16Mb & win98 I lost a bit of me enthusiasm....and it's white. :?

Y'know what? I forgot just how much I loved 98se. 8)

I also forgot that 16Mb ain't the end of the world if you're using 98se, and remembering all the tricks/tweaks to streamline the OS is like a pleasant and refreshing walk down memory lane for me.

Cacheman 4.1, gads I still love it! :D

I love win98 SE too!
still usable today as a main OS (which I did till recently, now win 2k3)

no, he's insane because he deals with a miserable 16MB of RAM (I'd put windows 3.11 on that)
in my experience triple the RAM is not enough for surfing with a somewhat modern browser (read : IE 5 and better). well, it's enough, but irritating for me.

digi, what do you do to streamline it?
I would remove Internet Explorer and windows logo at boot, did a few things with TweakUI.
I put IE back in though, as it gives quicklaunch and favorites, and I wasn't seeing the difference on my 2400+ with 384MB (and then 512MB)
(and it was needed for installing .NET framework.. at first I would install IE, install framework, then remove IE again :))

do you use progman.exe or taskman.exe as the shell? :)
(and good old winfile)

Hey, win98se was a great OS...ignore the hecklers. It was an enthusiasts dream, never meant for serious users.

I usually hit it with Cacheman, tweakui, defrag, force a permanent swapfile, and some other stuff I just don't remember right now.

I used 98se too for a long time, but it's been so long since I used it I can't recall the last time. :oops:

win98 is horrible because you can't leave the box on for months at a time and liked to blue screen, on the first boot even.. as in I installed it and on the first boot I get a blue screen.

I had a IBM P133 router running 24/7 on win98 SE :), almost never crashed, even though I sometimes played DOS games on it (and networked doom/quake 1)

you'd better have a stable PC and stay away from the non SE version. (SE is the bugfixed version)

yes you still get some blue screens (it's funny, some times you can get a blue screen and go on as if nothing happened).
It's FAR better than windows 95 (whose french version had some more bugs too!)

the worse aspects of 98SE for me : the GDI ressources limitations (Steam and a few other badly designed apps eat a lot of GDI resources; mozilla firebird even had a severe GDI leak, fixed with changing a config variable ) ; and most often you're fscked when explorer.exe locks up (explorer.exe is still rather unstable in win NT 5.x but there you can easily kill it)

the best : very fast, a few seconds for booting on a recent PC, DOS still there and good DOS compatibility inside windows, and it's more simple/less bloated than following windows versions.

Hmmm, now that I got it a bit cleaned up I kind of like it....I'm thinking if I upgrade the 16Mb to 128Mb it actually might be kind of useable.

It's looking like around $70us so far for for a pair of 64Mb 60ns EDO SODIMMs for it, (that ain't the shop I'm pricing at, just the one with the best description page), am I missing a trick at finding it cheaper?

digitalwanderer said:

I once ran Windows NT4 Server on the minimum specification to see if it could be done. That was a 16MHz 386SX (SX for 386 meant "16 bit memory bus") with 12 MB RAM. Of course, it was the old 30-something-pin memories that existed in the ancient times.

16 MB should be enough for anyone :!: :devilish:

Digi, what's that thingy good for today? I'd either throw it away or give it to my kids for disassembling excercises...

Digi, I'm not sure you'd want 128MB in that thing since most of the popular P1 class shipsets ( FX, VX, MX, TX ) could only cache <64MB of memory... blecch, how I hated Intel back then for not removing this retarded limitation for the (otherwise nice) 430TX... :devilish:

_xxx_ said:
Digi, what's that thingy good for today? I'd either throw it away or give it to my kids for disassembling excercises...
It's not mine, it's my dads and he's computer illiterate/phobic so it's a shiny new system to him.

This is the man who back in the 70s told me and my brother that computers were a fad and would never beat paper and pencil for figuring out problems when we were bugging him to get us a Pineapple/VIC-20. (We got the VIC-20)

anaqer said:
Digi, I'm not sure you'd want 128MB in that thing since most of the popular P1 class shipsets ( FX, VX, MX, TX ) could only cache <64MB of memory... blecch, how I hated Intel back then for not removing this retarded limitation for the (otherwise nice) 430TX... :devilish:
So a 98se machine just can't use over 64Mb? How dorky! :?

The reason I got the 2x64Mb is because it's the most this laptop can take and it was only about $10 diff 'tween 2x32Mb & 2x64Mb.

Besides, I know I can make 98se perform pretty well with 128Mb & 266Mhz....so I figured it would help, I kind of forgot about the limit. :oops:

Oh, it will work and the system will see the whole 128 megs - it might end up being slower though. By how much (and if, even) ... well, I guess that depends on what applications it'd be running. I only know that performance on an ALi 1541 + K6/2 400MHz dropped by almost 20% when going from 128MB to 192MB, but since yours is a different chipset and processor with less memory... I dunno. ;)

Dude, I'm currently always out of physical memory and using at least 15Mb of virtual on a slow-assed hard-drive......128Mb will make this sucker FLY!

Seriously, I was almost crying last night seeing at how bottlenecked this laptop was with it's low memory....it can do a lot better than it is and $40us is worth it.

Meh, it ain't my money....I'm using someone elses IT budget on this or else charging him for it. I love my old man and all, but I ain't gonna piss off my wife.

The labour is free, but parts I charge cost for.

Ill see what I can find for you DW. In the computer fairs around Dallas, I have found 64meg EDO sodimms for $1 to $5 used. If I find one for you, Ill ship it.

I beleave the lappy has 16meg on the mobo and 1 slot for mem upgrade so a max of 80 meg for the lappy. 80meg will be much faster then the 16 it has.

digitalwanderer said:
Dude, I'm currently always out of physical memory and using at least 15Mb of virtual on a slow-assed hard-drive......128Mb will make this sucker FLY!
Well, you might want to consider upgrading the HDD as well then. :p

{Sniping}Waste said:
Ill see what I can find for you DW. In the computer fairs around Dallas, I have found 64meg EDO sodimms for $1 to $5 used. If I find one for you, Ill ship it.
Dang it, I should have asked you first.

Thanks for the thought, but I already ordered the memory and it's shipped. If you see any decent HDs that will fit it that are around 20Gb let me know, I can't seem to find them cheap yet.

Back