Killer Instinct [XO]

I'm not sure, but there maybe a free to play version for the PC that has only 1 character playable on a rotating basis. Since you already have Live Gold, that may be a viable way to see if you can get it to test out. I'm not sure because I don't have a Win10 PC.

My KI is updating right now so I may have more to share later. IMO, it's an easy game to get into, especially with combo assist, but with high level play as well.

mm.. I should have the first season from GwG & crossbuy, right? I did the "purchase" back in January through the website - hopefully that works. I'm afraid I won't have time to meddle with things until the weekend though. Busy week.

I'm somewhat curious to try it out on my HTPC's Radeon HD 6870 @ 1080p. Does the 360 gamepad work too?

mm.. I should have the first season from GwG & crossbuy, right? I did the "purchase" back in January through the website - hopefully that works. I'm afraid I won't have time to meddle with things until the weekend though. Busy week.

I'm somewhat curious to try it out on my HTPC's Radeon HD 6870 @ 1080p. Does the 360 gamepad work too?

For PC, I know that the 360 sticks will work, so I guess that the pad will too. I'm not too sure if the original is crossbuy, but it should be as even if you didn't buy S3, you get the balance changes and updated lighting. If I'm on and you get it to work, hit me up if you see me online. Goes for anyone wanting to get some game in. GT: Timberwolf25

Apparently you have to pass the benchmark test in order to play online? Or maybe it's just ranked. Kind of neat to have a stringent performance requirement to avoid network shenanigans.

Apparently you have to pass the benchmark test in order to play online? Or maybe it's just ranked. Kind of neat to have a stringent performance requirement to avoid network shenanigans.

Did you pass?
I agree as I've ran into a few matches in ranked before where there was some suspicious lag going on.

Dunno. Won't be able to try until the weekend. Not sure if I'll have time to even start the download until then.

Dunno. Won't be able to try until the weekend. Not sure if I'll have time to even start the download until then.

If you do get it this weekend, spend some time in the dojo to get an understanding of the game. It's very helpful and probably the best implementation I've seen for learning fighting games.

If you do get it this weekend, spend some time in the dojo to get an understanding of the game. It's very helpful and probably the best implementation I've seen for learning fighting games.
this is running terribly on my PC, trying to diagnose why still. 720p nothing on, can barely make frames

this is running terribly on my PC, trying to diagnose why still. 720p nothing on, can barely make frames

Check this vid out from one of the pro-players. He has switched to playing the game on PC instead of on X1.

One of the quick things to check is the refresh rate of the monitor. Be sure it is on 60Hz. There is supposed to be a patch soon that will automatically fix some of the more common issues according to the devs for the Win10 version.
Also, a good forum for troubleshooting is the ultra-combo forum, it's the official forum for the game.

I'm grinding Kim Wu. She is a lot tougher to learn than the others I've played, but I think she has potential despite being more complex.

Edit: Added http://ki.infil.net/combo.html
It's a good resource for understanding the characters and combo system. It's looks intimidating, but once you try it out, it's carries over across characters for the most part.

Last edited:
Can't seem to get the thing to recognize cross-buy (Season 1) unless I needed to have played it on Xbox One.

Just for fun, I get about 1020-1030 on the benchmark for the below GPUs.

Radeon HD 6870 1GB
900p
Motion Blur - off
Reflections - off
AO - on
Bloom - on
AA - on
Shadow - High
Textures - Low (recommended for 1GB)

Radeon HD 7870 2GB
1440p
Motion Blur - off
Reflections - off
AO - on
Bloom - on
AA - on
Shadow - High
Textures - High

Yea you have to open it on XBO first before opening it on PC

That's only to sync your saves if you have unlocked anything on the X1. If you've never played it on either X1 or PC, then you don't have to play it on X1 first. In Al's case, since he never had an X1 (as far as I know), he should be good to go.

Also, the advance Dojo tutorials are tough. I never really attempted them til today and some of them are really hard to pass. Weird that some of the ones further down the list is easier than the earlier ones. Number 18 took me a while.

C-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Oh wait, maybe I do have S1 now. Weird.

I saw that you're trying it on Live.
Just a tip, on survival, do not start on Veteran, it'll just get you frustrated until you learn the system a bit. I forgot this when starting with Kim Wu and was having trouble getting to the 3rd level. I'm starting to get the hang of her though.

Beginner it is. :p

.... probably forever.

Shame they don't have the budget for something like the new Mortal Kombat story mode. Not sure I want to put money into this just yet.

Beginner it is. :p

.... probably forever.

Shame they don't have the budget for something like the new Mortal Kombat story mode. Not sure I want to put money into this just yet.

Once you figure out a little bit of how it plays, you'll be ready for Veteran. I just remembered getting my @$$ handed to me a bunch when I first started and didn't want you to get discouraged to early.

I think S1 has enough to start with. Two of the characters I main are S1 (Sadira and Sabrewulf). Also, if you want to try other characters, they do a weekly rotation where you get to try a character for free. If you really like the character, you can buy it ala carte and sometimes they even have them on sale for only a $1 or you could wait for a sale on the bundles----their pretty frequent I think.

The story is typical fighting game stuff which is sub par and not as good as MKX which is the only thing I'd say they've done better. Despite playing MK for years, I've never really enjoyed it as much as other fighters. The upcoming Shadow Lords mode is supposed to be a mix of story, arcade and survival might be really good, but for now I mostly just play Survival when playing solo.

What sold me on the Ultra S3 edition was the vamp character. In the end, I'll probably also play some Rash as well. That's pretty much almost half the upcoming cast that I want to play. Rumored to be also released is General RAAM from Gears of War.

Once you figure out a little bit of how it plays, you'll be ready for Veteran. I just remembered getting my @$$ handed to me a bunch when I first started and didn't want you to get discouraged to early.

I think S1 has enough to start with. Two of the characters I main are S1 (Sadira and Sabrewulf). Also, if you want to try other characters, they do a weekly rotation where you get to try a character for free. If you really like the character, you can buy it ala carte and sometimes they even have them on sale for only a $1 or you could wait for a sale on the bundles----their pretty frequent I think.

Ah cool. I used to play Orchid a lot back in KI 1. Will probably main her for a while.

If one buys the individual characters do all their things unlock like in the bundle? Or... did I misinterpret the bundles unlocking "everything".

The story is typical fighting game stuff which is sub par and not as good as MKX which is the only thing I'd say they've done better. Despite playing MK for years, I've never really enjoyed it as much as other fighters. The upcoming Shadow Lords mode is supposed to be a mix of story, arcade and survival might be really good, but for now I mostly just play Survival when playing solo.

What sold me on the Ultra S3 edition was the vamp character. In the end, I'll probably also play some Rash as well. That's pretty much almost half the upcoming cast that I want to play. Rumored to be also released is General RAAM from Gears of War.

Maybe they should try some mini-games ala MK. :p

I think they should have done Skorge from Gears 2, but maybe they wanted someone slow or something.
Jack of Blades from Fable might have been neat.
Or Conker.
Joanna Dark ala Sonya ?

I forget if we're missing any more KI/KI2 characters still.

Ah cool. I used to play Orchid a lot back in KI 1. Will probably main her for a while.

If one buys the individual characters do all their things unlock like in the bundle? Or... did I misinterpret the bundles unlocking "everything".

With the Ultra or Supreme bundles you still need to unlock the accessories and colors by leveling your characters in the default character. Everything is unlocked at level 50 for that specific character. For Retro accessories and colors, they are unlocked immediately for all characters with the Ultra/Supreme bundles.

It just means you don't need to spend KI Gold for that exclusive accessory. Also, if you don't want to grind it out, you can use KI Gold to unlock colors and accessories early.

For PC, that Supreme bundle is really a good deal. It's only $10 more than what I had to pay for Ultra S3 by itself and it's for all Ultra seasons.

Orchid is really good in this version. I'd say she's probably a really balanced and straight forward type to start with. At high level play, learn to utilize her grenade for set-ups.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-07-killer-instinct-getting-cross-platform-play

Previously the fighting game was Windows Store-exclusive, available only on Xbox One and Windows 10, but Microsoft announced in June the title would hit Steam later this year. Though Killer Instinct hasn't come out on Valve's platform yet, we now know it will feature a cross-play feature.

On the Killer Instinct forums, community manager Rukari Austin, AKA rukizzel, revealed players on Xbox One or Windows 10 will be able to cross-play with Steam players.

"Yes, this is your confirmation that Killer Instinct players on Xbox One or Windows 10 will be able to play cross-network with players on Steam, as well, and we're super excited to be able to bring that feature to you when KI launches on Steam in the coming weeks," wrote Austin.

Back