Ken Kutaragi: Working With Sony Again

I think he owned 5% of SCE, but sold that to Sony. Also jap exec wages are not as high as American exec wages.

If they can create a PS1 situation where Microsoft and Nintendo will take the place of Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn; they can have Kutaragi design the PS5 like he did the PS2; at his own pace with unlimited resources.

If they can create a PS1 situation where Microsoft and Nintendo will take the place of Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn; they can have Kutaragi design the PS5 like he did the PS2; at his own pace with unlimited resources.
Thing is, Kutaragi is a fan of cool, esoteric cutting-edge technology. The kind of technology that game developers want to avoid like the plague. Put the guy in the design team, sure, but he should not be making any decisions about architecture or system design.

Greatest respect for his work on PlayStation 1 and 2, but those were different times. Differentiating your hardware from others was palatable because 3D gaming technology was in it's infancy with few standards and the hardware itself was far simpler. No developer wants ray-traced rendering or an entirely new shader language because it means starting your engine and tool chain over.

Kutargi's problem is the same as a lot of aging engineers: His idea of "advance" is mired in the past. The last I read anything he talked about, it was some rambling in 2006 or so about about having 120 fps stereoscopic 3D games on the PS4. In 2000, advances in 3D rendering and faster frame rates really were what mattered. It's just not a big deal now.

The Kutaragi PS3 vision was that it would be stereoscopic 3D capable: both HDMI ports were HDMI-out; there were talks of a dual HDMI 3D spec, but that was incorporated into the 1.3 or 1.4 draft.
Framepacked 3D was also not agreed upon: speculation was that each frame would be sent alternated; requiring 120fps for a 60fps game.

If they have the marketshare then they can create the next platform regardless of industry standards.

PS-hardware until vita/ps4 has always been developer-tool /documentation handicapped. If there are good SDKs/middleware engines compatible a year before release then they could launch with Cell2 without any complaint. Think about it. Name 1 Xbox One or PS4 game that uses assembly code

So in order to advance the platform; Kutaragi needs to be an advisor at the least

If they have the marketshare then they can create the next platform regardless of industry standards.
I think the generational market share flux between PlayStation 2, 3 and 4 eras show marketshare can be lost and gained real quick. That was the mindset that resulted in the profit disaster that was PlayStation 3.

If you want third party multi platform developers to get the most out of your platform then you need to avoid the weird hardware or creating your way of achieving things for which there are already good standards. Again, look at Cell in PlayStation 3 and ESRAM in Xbox One.

PlayStation tools are better now, mostly because Sony acquired SN Systems in 2005, although that clearly wasn't early enough to get a fully fledged toolset ready for the platform before launch.

Ken's thinking was...if we build it any way we like, they will come. Nowadays that really doesn't work anymore unless your design/technology has a major advantage over the competition.

I think if SONY were to follow that path again with Ken's ideas, the console would have HMC memory, solid state holographic storage, a separate 32 core CPU and discrete monster GPU.:LOL:

That said I would buy one...

If MS drops out of the console business; then it could certainly happen.

Btw: Vita uses "off the shelve components"; same ARM architecture as the iPhone/ iPad (3 or 4?) for example. By that logic; porting a game to Vita is super easy because the GPU and CPU are the same; right?

I think too many people on this board misinterpret exotic hardware; if the tools/middleware is good enough then it won't matter to a developer how the hardware operates.

If they keep that in mind from the very start, then yeah, Kutaragi could be lead designer for sure

If you like Sony, keep him far far away from PS hardware :p

PlayStation 3 sold over 80 million consoles as far as was accounted up to the year 2013.

Don't forget all the negativity going on back in 2005, to 2009 all over the internet where people were very opinionated in making the PS3 look like it was the Demon's soul.

Well they gave Ken the blank check when designing the PS3.... But then again, why wouldn't they? He only produced two of the most successful consoles in history back to back. But man.... did he grossly underestimated the economics of the design of the PS3 in both development and manufacturing costs.

I guess the company as a whole thought the brand was so strong it didn't matter.

His very ambitious hardware designs are at least a great centerpiece for discussion. Given that the current generation is pretty straight forward as far as system architecture is concerned I would say that the industry isn't quite as interesting without him in it.

From what I gather his main huge ambition was to have Blu Ray as a storage medium which did matter, have the HDD be a console required standard which upped the price, offer PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility which now people are crying about and whining about on current gen consoles and among anything else I may forget to mention. ..the CellBE cpu.

Oh yes...the XDR-DRAM and 1GB Ethernet and standard Wi-Fi built-in.

Wasn't it the original plan that Cell was "desired" to be produced at 65nm?

That seems like an engineering way of thinking and estimation given they internally knew what Cell cpu architecture was gonna be based way ahead of any rumors.

Also there's the evaluation PS3 hardware which used an nVidia Nv40 GPU before the prototype PS3 which was built and seen in 2005 and had 512MB XDR-DRAM and 512MB GDDR3 for debugging...

Would it make sense to assume that Sony's engineers wanted a 65nm CellBE but that wouldn't be possible unless the console was pre-planned for 2007 launch or at worst 2008. And if so why would Cell-GPU be feasible instead of an nVidia G92 or GT200 GPU at 55nm?

Of course I forget to mention that Microsoft pushing for 2005 doesn't help investors who are not engineering people and only care about profit going up...so the idea of a 2007 or 2008 PS3 sounds crazy because Microsoft would have had 3 to four whole years worth if holiday season sales and game developers.

Thats because he is Kazunori Yamauchi the creator of GT

Ah cool. Played to death (as in hundreds, nay probably thousands of hours) Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2 on the PlayStation. think I've got the serious sim desire out of my blood now.

WANT MOTORSTORM 4, SONY!!! :yes:

Back