Ken Kutaragi: Working With Sony Again

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
The "Father of PlayStation" Ken Kutaragi is satisfied with the Playstation 4 and wants to work on a project with Sony.

Translated:
Ken Kutaragi, the former CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, under whose leadership the first Playstation has been developed according to the current CEO Andrew House is still in contact with the company. Even a collaboration between SCE and Kutaragi on a new project, but for which there are no details is being considered, according to House.

House keeps in his own words keeps close contact with Kutaragi and other founders of the company. He had also met with a few days until Kutaragi. It had also been a project of the "father of the PlayStation", in which it would like to work with Sony. What is this about, but House did not betray. Kutaragi's current company Cyber ​​AI Entertainment researches according to the official website of real-time systems for signal processing with the goal of developing new entertainment options and new user interfaces.

I miss Ken... antics in all. :yep2:

That's great.

While I do not want Krazy Ken back on stage or in charge of Playstation hardware(not after the PS3), I do want to see Ken and Sony on good terms.
He is the father of Playstation after all.

Everyone is forgetting Sony has Vita.

PSP sold 80mil [probably even 3DS wont reach that], while Vita is maybe at 8-10m.

Kutaragi is an incredible engineers, it can be very good now that he's working exclusively on technology. Maybe he just shouldn't be the king ruler of the entire decision making process for the PS5. (or anywhere near the decision making process) Let him do the things he's good at, it can be a really great asset.

Everyone is forgetting Sony has Vita.

PSP sold 80mil [probably even 3DS wont reach that], while Vita is maybe at 8-10m.
The mobile landscape is very different to when PSP launched. People are forgetting Vita for a reason.

Kutaragi is an incredible engineers, it can be very good now that he's working exclusively on technology. Maybe he just shouldn't be the king ruler of the entire decision making process for the PS5. (or anywhere near the decision making process) Let him do the things he's good at, it can be a really great asset.
Although I agree with the sentiment, things move on and engineers don't necessarily move with them. Kutaragi's ability to follow through on grandiose ideas worked well in the 90s but become less viable as technology progressed and he didn't adapt, I dare say. Perhaps his vision is no longer compatible with the things work? Like a genius composer who's untouched at Classical composition but who can't adapt to Romantic. What has Kutaragi done since leaving Sony? Not much AFAIK. Cellius came to nothing. So one has to question what he'll actually bring to PS/Sony? Cyber AI Entertainment, if the name is anything to go by, suggests the focus is on AI processes. Is the fabled AI processor to make an appearance in Sony's next device??

Actually from the website about:

Cyber AI Entertainment said:
Research and development of real-time business information processing system Research and development of distributed OS and massively parallel computer
Research and development of high-speed digital image processing / image recognition technology
Research and development of next generation human interface
The information gathering / processing / delivery service by cloud system
Development of social entertainment platform
It basically reads like a hobby to me. Business information processing, parallel processing, next-gen HCI and social entertainment? Nice catch-all for doing nothing specific!

Edit: Read Kutaragi's personal commentary to learn he wants to build a sentient AI supercomputer that'll provide everyone with their dream world, or something.

What a coincidence. I was thinking about him this morning

And he was thinking of you too :oops:

:p

Kutaragi is an incredible engineers

He is the equivalent of 20 regular engineers! :p

I'm sorry... hahaha.

Joking aside this is a very interesting revelation :)

I'm sure there's always a consulting position for Ken K to contribute from in a big project like this at the very least. It would be a good idea I think.

How much was ps3 having a cell cpu (& originally gpu) & bluray solely on Kutaragi's shoulders? Because there was likely push from allover to utilize their own technology and attempt to symbiotically move both all 3 businesses forward by incorporate the cell/bluray into ps3. Maybe we can completely blame him for the ps2 backwards compatibility hardware in launch models raising the price, but there was likely desire from all the top of Sony execs to incorporate their various other ventures into ps3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they gave Ken the blank check when designing the PS3.... But then again, why wouldn't they? He only produced two of the most successful consoles in history back to back. But man.... did he grossly underestimated the economics of the design of the PS3 in both development and manufacturing costs.

I guess the company as a whole thought the brand was so strong it didn't matter.

His very ambitious hardware designs are at least a great centerpiece for discussion. Given that the current generation is pretty straight forward as far as system architecture is concerned I would say that the industry isn't quite as interesting without him in it.

Well they gave Ken the blank check when designing the PS3.... But then again, why wouldn't they? He only produced two of the most successful consoles in history back to back. But man.... did he grossly underestimated the economics of the design of the PS3 in both development and manufacturing costs.

I guess the company as a whole thought the brand was so strong it didn't matter.

His very ambitious hardware designs are at least a great centerpiece for discussion. Given that the current generation is pretty straight forward as far as system architecture is concerned I would say that the industry isn't quite as interesting without him in it.
I could see Kutaragi part of the whole corporate vision to bring cell processors into the mainstream.

There probably was the belief the cell processor would gain bigger traction and through economies of scale would quickly bring down the price of the processors. The vision was cell popularity in widespread use in nonconsole computing, in household appliances, cars, tvs etc. But it never gained that traction so economies of scale didn't quickly bring down the price.

Also there may have been a boardroom mentality that they all wanted the bluray in there.

Back