Sony reportedly going toe-to-toe with GP in new service.

I think people forget the best part of Game Pass: purchase discounts. You get 10% off on games 31-90 days after release & 20% off after 90 days. You also get 10% off for DLC. Sony wouldn't have to give away 1st party games on Day 1, but they could do discounts instead. Maybe they would make them free after 90 days? PS Plus says you're supposed to get exclusive member discounts, but it's fuzzy on what that means. Also, just expanding the PlayStation Collection to include PS5 games would be step in the right direction.

Tommy McClain

I have confidence that MS is far from finished in acquiring AAA studios to produce a fire hose of AAA content and diverse AA filler content for GP.

They seem very committed.

They easily won the games battle even this year IMO.

As I see it the only way that Gamepass can ever be successful in the long run....
That depends what they are trying to be successful at. the profit motive might be buried deep in other services and plans, and GP is just a way to grow that other thing. eg. What if MS's plan is just to create the infrastructure that other game services run on? Then MS get paid for Sony, Nintendo (ha ha), EA, Ubi, etc. all using Azure to offer their own Netflixes and MS doesn't have to care about making content.
I think people forget the best part of Game Pass: purchase discounts. PS Plus says you're supposed to get exclusive member discounts, but it's fuzzy on what that means.
It means you get store discounts. Go on the PSN store and there are some lower prices on items for PS+ subscribers. I don't see that many though - I think they are more around sales events where I see most sale items having an additional lower PS+ price.

PS Plus says you're supposed to get exclusive member discounts, but it's fuzzy on what that means.
The discounts vary title-to-title and over time. There is almost always a flat discount on the price between 5% and 15% but sometimes you get the nutty 80% off. I bought DQ XIII for about £4 a few months back, and on Friday I bought Ni No Kuni Remastered for £7.99.

Think of PS+ discounts as flash sales only available to PS+ subscribers.

This is what I currently see on the PS Store:

upload_2021-12-5_11-45-4.png

A handful of titles have a PS discount, so it's not a flat rate like 10%, but more a big opportunistic discount here and there.

Those PS+ discounts are more akin to the Xbox Gold discounts, where both are subjected to spot sales etc. The GamePass discounts that Azbat is talking about is something else and applies to all titles within GamePass.

Btw I wonder whether Sony's gamepass will also include "Playstation cross platform save sync" like Xbox gamepass with some of the games there.

It's really nice to be able to play forza horizon 5 on pc and Xbox with save sync. Or with yakuza like a dragon where I can cheat on pc, save the game, and sync that cheated save to Xbox.

So basically PS+ member discounts are the same as Live Gold discounts. There's not a flat discount for titles in the subscription like there is with games in the Games Pass subscription.

EDIT: BRiT beat me to it

Tommy McClain

Back