Ken Kutaragi Interview by Hiroshige Goto (PC Wach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
marconelly! said:
No he's talking about image filters, DOF, blur or whatever else you want to do.
He's also talking about the displacement mapping, which to me sounds like the most interesting proposition.

Agreed.

I think on either PS3 or 360 I'd seriously look at doing some of the vertex work on the CPU. The CPU is better suited to certain types of operation than the Vertex shaders are. And on XB360 if you offload the vertex work you get more pixel power.

It's difficult to predict where the best place to draw that line on each pf the architectures is going to be without spending time running tests on somewhat real assets.

It's also a LOT more difficult to write optimal shader code on an SPE or XBOX360 core than it is for a vertex shader.

Gamespot translation (lacking Watch Impress's additional commentary though):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/13/news_6127392.html

Impress PC Watch: Will the PS3's backward compatibility with the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 be done through hardware?

Ken Kutaragi: It will be done through a combination of hardware and software. We can do it with software alone, but it's important to make it as close to perfect as possible. Third-party developers sometimes do things that are unimaginable. For example, there are cases where their games run, but not according to the console's specifications. There are times when games pass through our tests, but are written in ways that make us say, "What in the world is this code?!" We need to support backward compatibility towards those kinds of games as well, so trying to create compatibility by software alone is difficult. There are things that will be required by hardware. However, with the powers of [a machine like] the PS3, some parts can be handled by hardware, and some parts by software.

IPW: What about the endian (byte order) when emulating CPU codes with software?

KK: The Cell is bi-endian (has the ability to switch between usage of big endian and little endian ordering), so there are no problems.

IPW: The Xbox 360's backward compatibility will be done by software, since [there is] no other choice since they don't manufacture their own chips...

KK: The current Xbox will become antiquated once the new machine comes out this November. When that happens, the Xbox will be killing itself. The only way to avoid that is to support 100 percent compatibility from its [Xbox 360's] launch date, but Microsoft won't be able to commit to that. It's technically difficult.

IPW: The most surprising thing about the PS3's architecture is that its graphics are not processed by the Cell. Why didn't you make a Cell-based GPU?

KK: The Cell's seven Synergistic Processor Elements (SPE) can be used for graphics. In fact, some of the demos at E3 were running without a graphics processor, with all the renderings done with just the Cell. However, that kind of usage is a real waste. There are a lot of other things that should be done with the Cell. One of our ideas was to equip two Cell chips and to use one as a GPU, but we concluded that there were differences between the Cell to be used as a computer chip and as a shader, since a shader should be graphics-specific. The Cell has an architecture where it can do anything, although its SPE can be used to handle things such as displacement mapping. Prior to PS3, real-time rendered 3D graphics might have looked real, but they weren't actually calculated in a fully 3D environment. But that was OK for screen resolutions up until now. Even as of the current time, most of the games for the Xbox 360 use that kind of 3D. However, we want to realize fully calculated 3D graphics in fully 3D environments. In order to do that, we need to share the data between the CPU and GPU as much as possible. That's why we adopted this architecture. We want to make all the floating-point calculations including their rounded numbers the same, and we've been able to make it almost identical. So as a result, the CPU and GPU can use their calculated figures bidirectionally.

IPW: We were predicting that eDRAM was going to be used for the graphics memory, but after hearing that the PS3 will support the use of two HDTVs, we understood why it wasn't being used.

KK: Fundamentally, the GPU can run without graphics memory since it can use Redwood (the high-speed interface between Cell and the RSX GPU) and YDRAM (the code name for XDR DRAM). YDRAM is unified memory. However, there's still the question of whether the [bandwidth and cycle time] should be wasted by accessing the memory that's located far away when processing the graphics or using the shader. And there's also no reason to use up the Cell's memory bandwidth for normal graphics processes. The shader does a lot of calculations of its own, so it will require its own memory. A lot of VRAM will especially be required to control two HDTV screens in full resolution (1920x1080 pixels). For that, eDRAM is no good. eDRAM was good for the PS2, but for two HDTV screens, it's not enough. If we tried to fit enough volume of eDRAM [to support two HDTV screens] onto a 200-by-300-millimeter chip, there won't be enough room for the logics, and we'd have had to cut down on the number of shaders. It's better to use the logics in full, and to add on a lot of shaders.

IPW: First of all, why did you select Nvidia as your GPU vendor?

KK: Up until now, we've worked with Toshiba [for] our computer entertainment graphics. But this time, we've teamed with Nvidia, since we're making an actual computer. Nvidia has been thoroughly pursuing PC graphics, and with their programmable shader, they're even trying to do what Intel's processors have been doing. Nvidia keeps pursuing processor capabilities and functions because [Nvidia chief scientist] David Kirk and other developers come from all areas of the computer industry. They sometimes overdo things, but their corporate culture is very similar to ours. Sony and Nvidia have agreed that our goal will be to pursue [development of] a programmable processor as far as we can. I get a lot of opportunity to talk to Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun [Huang] and David, and we talk about making the ideal GPU. When we say "ideal," we mean a processor that goes beyond any currently existing processor. Nvidia keeps on going into that direction, and in that sense, they share our vision. We share the same road map as well, as they are actually influenced by our [hardware] architecture. We know each other's spirits and we want to do the same thing, so that's why [Sony] teamed with Nvidia. The other reason is that consumers are starting to use fixed-pixel displays, such as LCD screens. When fixed-pixel devices become the default, it will be the age when TVs and PCs will merge, so we want to support everything perfectly. Aside from backward compatibility to, we also want to support anything from legacy graphics to the latest shader. We want to do resolutions higher than WSXGA (1680x1050 pixels). In those kinds of cases, it's better to bring everything from Nvidia rather than for us to create [a build] from scratch.

IPW: Microsoft decided to use a unified-shader GPU by ATI for its Xbox 360. Isn't unified shader more cutting edge when it comes to programming?

KK: The vertex shader and pixel shader are unified in ATI's architecture, and it looks good at one glance, but I think it will have some difficulties. For example, some question where will the results from the vertex processing be placed, and how will it be sent to the shader for pixel processing. If one point gets clogged, everything is going to get stalled. Reality is different from what's painted on canvas. If we're taking a realistic look at efficiency, I think Nvidia's approach is superior.

it sounds like sony has to do the same thing ms is doing they are just being sly about it . If there is no ps2 / psone hardware ist going to have to be emulated

jvd said:
it sounds like sony has to do the same thing ms is doing they are just being sly about it . If there is no ps2 / psone hardware ist going to have to be emulated

It's a mix of hardware and software. At a guess, and as others discussed, it seems likely GS is in there, with CPU emulation on Cell. Or perhaps some key parts of hardware, with the rest emulated on Cell or RSX? But without more detail it's hard to tell.

KK is so full of crap.

He says emulation will be "technically difficult" for X360 but doesn't explain why it won't also be difficult for PS3. All he says is:

"However, with the powers of [a machine like] the PS3, some parts can be handled by hardware, and some parts by software. "

Basically he says the "power" of the CELL will solve all these difficulties, last time I checked X360 had some "power" as well. What does this have to do with emulating 10+ years worth of games?

If there's no hardware included for BC, then it's just an emulator and they'll run into the same sort of problems as X360 devs. Except they don't have the option of storing XBE's on the HDD.

Cell is bi-endian? That must have been part of the DD2 revision, as the original prototype was only big endian according to the microprocessor report pdf that came out just after ISSCC.

jvd said:

But it sounds as though there will be some type of legacy Hardware that will support Emulation...in which cas KK has a valid point about Microsoft not being able to have the luxury that Sony has (as far as owning and creating most of their parts). Full on Emulation is very resource intensive I don't know if Microsoft can pull off complete Emulation of all their catalogs (That applies to Sony to, even though I see them having an easier time doing so..)

BlueTsunami said:
jvd said:

But it sounds as though there will be some type of legacy Hardware that will support Emulation...in which cas KK has a valid point about Microsoft not being able to have the luxury that Sony has (as far as owning and creating most of their parts). Full on Emulation is very resource intensive I don't know if Microsoft can pull off complete Emulation of all their catalogs (That applies to Sony to, even though I see them having an easier time doing so..)

He said they didn't have the chips in there . So there wont be legacy hardware. If the ps2 hardware isn't in there then it doesn't make any sense ? What are they going to do put the ee on the rsx die and emulate the gs functions ? I mean it sounds like a load of bull .

I also don't see why this guy has to knock ms all the time , doesn't he have class when doing interviews ?

jvd said:
BlueTsunami said:
jvd said:

He said they didn't have the chips in there . So there wont be legacy hardware. If the ps2 hardware isn't in there then it doesn't make any sense ? What are they going to do put the ee on the rsx die and emulate the gs functions ? I mean it sounds like a load of bull .

I also don't see why this guy has to knock ms all the time , doesn't he have class when doing interviews ?

I don't think the Chipset doesn't need to be there (Possible other type of hardware thats tailored to emulate both PSX and PS2). I dislike how KK didn't delve into how they will partly using hardware (which is in the interview mind you). So there WILL be some kind of Hardware supplementing the software end of the Emulation (which will help of course..because like a said, pure software emulations of consoles are very resource hungry).

Unless this is KK trying to move on MS emulation parade with claims that have no substance...well the decision to think thats the case is up to you...

scooby_dooby said:
KK is so full of crap.
He says emulation will be "technically difficult" for X360 but doesn't explain why it won't also be difficult for PS3. All he says is:
"However, with the powers of [a machine like] the PS3, some parts can be handled by hardware, and some parts by software. "

If there's no hardware included for BC,

Ken Kutaragi: It will be done through a combination of hardware and software.
Scooby - you are very quick to slag people off for talking bull, even when the evidence to the contrary is in front of you.

I do wish instead of people saying stuff like 'this guy's so full of crap' they inquire with something a little more civil like 'that doesn't make sense to me. How can such and such be possible?'

I don't see how that will work blue .

Even with hardware to assist your still going to need to emulate the calls and the functions of the hardware that the code was for . Unless this hardware for helping is the original hardware .

So it doesn't make sense .

jvd said:
I don't see how that will work blue .

Even with hardware to assist your still going to need to emulate the calls and the functions of the hardware that the code was for . Unless this hardware for helping is the original hardware .

So it doesn't make sense .

Yeah..thats why I dislike how he didn't delve into how the emulation will be handled by both software and hardware methods. I guess this is one of those situations where you have to take his word for it :LOL:

In my mind...I don't take what he says as any thing substancial...until KK shows us specific hardware and how it will accept PSX and PS2 code, then i'll just have to wait until they release an actual explanation on how it works..till then that article is meaningless PR :?

Shifty Geezer said:
scooby_dooby said:
KK is so full of crap.

If there's no hardware included for BC,

Ken Kutaragi: It will be done through a combination of hardware and software.
Scooby - you are very quick to slag people off for talking bull, even when the evidence to the contrary is in front of you.

I do wish instead of people saying stuff like 'this guy's so full of crap' they inquire with something a little more civil like 'that doesn't make sense to me. How can such and such be possible?'

I'm just tired of his nonsense.

Besides, what I said was "If there's no hardware included for BC" referring to an embedded EE or something of the sort. Not the main CPU, simply using the CELL to emulate, which seems to be what he's saying, and is also exactly what the 360 will do.

SO he makes it seem like they have some mysterious advantage the X360 doesn't have. Just more of his nonsense intended to fool people who don't think for themselves.

When asked how BC is implemented, KK says it's a hardware+software solution, with hardware support to ensure full compatibility. Why isn't that to be believed. Just because he doesn't explain the level of hardware support doesn't mean they didn't get a solution. I don't see how it counts as 'meaningless PR'.

It counts as a promise of 100% (or near abouts) BC for PS2 games (specifics of implementation unknown) out of the box - run your back catalogue on the new hardware the day you get it home. For all we know RSX has GS functions or whatnot.

When asked how BC is implemented, KK says it's a hardware+software solution, with hardware support to ensure full compatibility. Why isn't that to be believed. Just because he doesn't explain the level of hardware support doesn't mean they didn't get a solution. I don't see how it counts as 'meaningless PR'.

All emulation is hardware + software.

Care to explain to me how the cell and the rsx are going to use calls for the ee and gs when they are very diffrent hardware setups and have very diffrent feature sets ?

I'm specificly asking how they are going to acomplish this . If the original hardware isn't there then its going to be a strait emulation setup where the software will emulate the functions of these calls and convert them to something the cell and the rsx can understand and this is exactly how the x360 will handle it .

It counts as a promise of 100% (or near abouts) BC for PS2 games (specifics of implementation unknown) out of the box - run your back catalogue on the new hardware the day you get it home. For all we know RSX has GS functions or whatnot.
Even if you take his comments at face value of meulation + hardware that software is going to have to work a 100% of the time and so is the hardware for every feature or exotic call or use of the ee + gs and the old psone hardware .

gurgi said:
For a company that is only competing with the PS2, they sure are getting a lot of attention from KK.

Its competing with the PS2 for about half a year until PS3 is released ;)

Seriously guys what's the point of nitpicking every PR interview when the same posters post the same crap it's becoming way too predictibale (i.e the same posters wear their biases on their sleves and they know who they are)

From this point foward i'm adpoting a wait and see approach instead of drinking down all the PR speak like a good little zealot.

I think he wants people to believe 360 is only competing with PS2 because he knows PS3 won't launch until a year after 360 and he doesn't even want to even associate the 360 directly with the PS3 in people's minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back