Just Cause 2

I don't know how the contract was written. I don't think there's any special universal standard for publisher-developer contracts either. I think it's mostly on a case-to-case basis which can depend on many conditions, such as current market environment, what kind of title the publisher is going after, how many publishers are lining up to sign a deal with you or if you have to actively search for a publisher interested in your particular project etc.

Ripped off? Do developers normally get a cut of the profits based on sales? I wouldn't think so.

Depends on studio/publisher, but generally yes, they do. Games pay tends to follow the hollywood system of residuals as a means of keeping costs down.

By devs get royalties I mean the development company not the individual programmers and artists

but it is the individual programmers and artists. Think of it as hollywood/books/etc where you get a chunk of money up front and then a variable amount depending on how well the product works. A lot easier to do variable bonus/residual pay than deal with the salary issues from the game selling 10 million copies.

I don't know how the contract was written. I don't think there's any special universal standard for publisher-developer contracts either. I think it's mostly on a case-to-case basis which can depend on many conditions, such as current market environment, what kind of title the publisher is going after, how many publishers are lining up to sign a deal with you or if you have to actively search for a publisher interested in your particular project etc.

yeah, spec contracts, work for hire contracts, etc. Same as most other entertainment fields.

@ aronspink
if you think of starwars, yes lucas +harrison ford may get royalties, but would the guy who played stormtrooper number 42
plus if humus was to get royalties he'd know the sales figures

@ aronspink
if you think of starwars, yes lucas +harrison ford may get royalties, but would the guy who played stormtrooper number 42
plus if humus was to get royalties he'd know the sales figures

You'd be surprised. If he had a speaking role, their is a reasonable chance he has some royalty stake. Its not uncommon for crew to also have small stakes though it depends on the production. Generally on indie/small budget productions they use variable in order to lower the upfront costs. Same in a lot of TV.

And just because someone is on royalties doesn't mean they would know the sales unless they asked. Normally people just get a check.

Here's the list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the week, as reported by Valve:

1 : Just Cause 2

Edit: Found This.

Just Cause 2 has also broke the 1 million barrier, but it fell slightly out of the companies fiscal year, only reaching 1.19 million as of the end of April.

I just bought the game myself. It's a good time. I really like just about any open world style game. This one is so beautiful and expansive that it puts just about everything else to shame in that regard too.

I'm running it on my old 8800GTX primarily, on a plasma TV at 1360x768. It runs well enough with mostly max settings and 16X CSAA. Xtreme perty.

Normally people just get a check.

This.

Yes, more income to the studio results in more money to employees, but more sales doesn't necessarily give the studio more money, so again, it depends on the contract.

Here's the list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the week, as reported by Valve:

1 : Just Cause 2

At first I thought you mean "for the first week", not this week, but indeed I just checked myself and JC2 is on top. :oops:
http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

Could be a result of the sale of course. This might also explain the sudden boost in activity in the Steam Just Cause forum.

Edit: Found This.

Just Cause 2 has also broke the 1 million barrier, but it fell slightly out of the companies fiscal year, only reaching 1.19 million as of the end of April.

Yup, that's the most recent number I've seen. And here are the vgachartz numbers:
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=just+cause+2

These numbers are likely not comparable (end user sales vs. units shipped from the publisher to stores), but April-end the total console sales seems to have been about 0.9 million. So 0.29 million left for the PC, minus the differences in end-user/publisher sales. Where the PC might be now is hard to say after two Steam sales plus being included in that big Square Enix pack a while ago too.

So how is the feeling at Avalanche, Humus? Are you happy about the reception the game has received?

So how is the feeling at Avalanche, Humus? Are you happy about the reception the game has received?

Yeah, it's been mostly positive. :) The project surely had its problems at times, and it took quite a bit longer to complete than originally planned. It's been a turbulent time for the studio as well. Shipping JC2 was a very big milestone, and the reviews and feedback has been a lot more positive than expected. The modding community that grew up quickly around the PC version of the game took us by surprise, but it was totally awesome. :cool: Did not see that coming.
As for the studio, we're back to healthy conditions again. My sense is that people are feeling a lot more positive right now than before. We've learned a lot from the JC2 project and future stuff is coming along very well. We've been hiring and it's cool to see a bunch of the old Avalanchers return home again. :) We're still fewer than we were at the peak though, but I think we're still looking for more people, at least there appear to still be some positions available.

Been playing this nonstop since my success in the TechReport screenshot competition :)

First time I've seen shadows that get fuzzier with distance from the occluder. "Contact hardening" I think they call it. Very nice.

Been playing this nonstop since my success in the TechReport screenshot competition :)

First time I've seen shadows that get fuzzier with distance from the occluder. "Contact hardening" I think they call it. Very nice.

I think the latest Stalker game also had that in Dx11 mode.

Regards,
SB

Back