Just Cause 2

Neb

Iron "BEAST" Man
Legend
The sequel to the free roaming action game Just Cause. I'll add more info once I find more about it.

Official site.
http://www.justcause.com

System requirements.

EDIT: Minimum requirement is lower, 8600/2600pro not 8800/2600pro. Also CPU requirements might be lower.

This looks like copy of the initial draft some PR guy did. Minimum is 2600/8600. Technically the 2400/8400 will run the game too, but will be unplayable even at lowest settings. I don't know where we stand on CPU right now, because after we did the testing for establishing the min spec for CPU I did a bunch of optimizations that boosted the CPU performance by more than 50%.

56395852.png

As you can see minimum is a DX10 graphic card which is great as DX9 is outdated and so is WinXP. Good to see multiplatform game(s) start to move ahead to deliver better visuals and perfomance on PC than what would be expected from DX9 port jobs. Ontop of that game has DX10.1 support! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well minimum is DX10 so...... :)

Really looking forward to this next month, great sandbox game. Looking through those screenshots, the guy grappled to the gas tank is a funny one!

Buybye XP, you won't be missed! :D
This weekend I was playing with my old Inspiron 9300 notebook. I've been running Win7 on it for awhile and it worked great. Out of the blue, I decided that I wanted to compare its 3DMark2001 score in Win7 with what I have on ORB for Win XP.

It scores ~17k in 7 and ~24k in XP. :oops: 40% slower! And to verify that this wasn't just 'ol 3DMark 2001 being crappy, I also played Killing Floor a bit and yeah it was clearly faster in XP. I used the same drivers for each test. NVIDIA's 179.48 set, which are the newest out there for notebooks with GF7 Go chips.

This notebook is a bit retro but these are the specs:
Pentium M 2.13 GHz (760)
2 GB PC4200
GeForce Go 7800 GTX (faster than most of the notebooks out there today lol)
100GB 7200 RPM HDD

I've also seen this performance discrepancy (to a lesser degree) with my 12" subnote that has a ATI 3450 discrete in it. And lets just say that you don't want to waste any of what little a 3450 can do. ;)

So don't count 'ol XP out yet man.

But would game had DX9 support it would certainly make the DX10 part suffer and you would likely end up with worse perfomance in DX9 mode than DX10 even counting in use of Vista or Windows 7 which btw should barely have any negative perfomance impact if at all. Your perfomance numbers goes against the norm and if anything maybe Nvidia cheats activating in WinXP but not applicable in Win 7? :LOL: :p

Your perfomance numbers goes against the norm and if anything maybe Nvidia cheats activating in WinXP but not applicable in Win 7? :LOL: :p
Well whatever the reason for the performance issues, there's no reason to run 7 on there after seeing that performance loss first hand. Even in a game based on Unreal Engine 2 (Killing Floor), it was clearly faster in XP and I was able to run almost maximum quality settings even with MSAA. I don't care how "forward looking" 7 may be, it runs like shit for games on that machine. Maybe 7's not so great on single core CPUs or something or NVIDIA's not-so-recent drivers for it suck.

The thing is that 7800 Go GTX is faster than what you get in a lot of notebooks even today. It dusts the mobile GF 8600-based crap, for example (those 32 shader things). It probably holds its own fairly well against the bandwidth starved MR 4650. So it's a very viable gaming machine that gets gimped by Win7 for some reason.

Of course I run 7 on all of my machines with recent CPUs and GPUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

It is time for WinXP to be put to rest for good.

If you have it though, I will always recommend keeping an XP partition for those "just in case" games.

I must note though, "required: 8800 Series Geforce or Ati Radeon 2600 Pro". Is that 8800 a typo that is supposed to be 8600? We all know an 8800 series GPU is pretty much 3-4 times as powerful as the Radeon 2600.

Well that is true. I have a VM with XP just to play old games and run DOSBox/ScummVM for those old games.

I must note though, "required: 8800 Series Geforce or Ati Radeon 2600 Pro". Is that 8800 a typo that is supposed to be 8600? We all know an 8800 series GPU is pretty much 3-4 times as powerful as the Radeon 2600.
Or is that supposed to be Radeon 2900 Pro?

I think they put 8800 becouse 8600GTS would be to slow and slower than 2600pro?

Btw 8800 can stand for GT or GTS (old model which is medium-end of the 8800 series). I mean recommended is GTS250 which is about equal to a 9800GTX which is about 20% faster than a 8800GTX.

8600 GT and 2600 Pro are pretty much the same on the performance front I think. Neither is all that great and is considerably slower than 8800GTX/2900XT. To the tune of 25%-50% of the performance level.

Unless it happens to run much better on ATI GPUs of the same performance level.

Or is that supposed to be Radeon 2900 Pro?

Possibly but I have my doubts. The 8600 and 2600 are kind of the de facto PC GPUs for "being close to console performance" when it comes to PC versions of multiplatform games (but not necessarily optimized;)). I don't think they'd require something like an 8800 or 2900 only to "recommend" something that is at the most 20 to 30% faster. Also there are were very few models of the 8800 and 2900 series that had only 256 MB of VRAM, only a handful IIRC.

This does lead me to wonder though: how come we don't see more ATi technology partnerships with games that are ported from the 360 to the PC?

*Sorry for the double post*

Back