Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Exactly Shifty. Sony's goose is far from cooked. Everyone around here knows that I love my X360 and its games, but Sony is still going to do fine in the end. They will have to make the PS3 last 6-7 years in order to do well, but they'll get to 75 million eventually.

I never criticized Nintendo for the DS as I thought it was a good product, or the name "Wii". The only time I've been really negative about Nintendo is when I stated that they would bow out of the traditional console market... and they have.

Going forward I would still state that the Nintendo Wii will NEVER be the meat and potatoes console for the 20-30 male demographic. Nintendo will do better than I had expected, but without any sandbox games, driving games, serious shooters, deep RPGs etc... they aren't going to take over the market and dominate. It's not possible IMO.

"What kind of showing would you bestow on the PS3 for selling more hardware than software in japan even we are two months beyond launch?"

Basically Sony sold those consoles on name brand only and now that they are in people's hands these people can't find any decent games to buy. The Japanese should have been a little more selective than to rush out and buy something just cause it said Sony on it.

It is sad that even though the PS3 already has more console sold in Japan than the 360 it can't even muster up 1 game in the top 30.

Worldwide the 360 has had a huge game and add-on attach rate and I'm sure publishers are taking note.

It would take a miracle for Sony to dominate this gen. History in the games space does not dictate the future but it does give us a hint as to what to expect.;)

Define "dominate. Then define "miracle".

You keep talking in very general terms.

Couldn't what Sony achieved with PS1 and then PS2 be defined as "miracle" by some people? Especially PS2.

No, it wasnt a miracle. It was a mix of many things, and Sony has showed that more often than not they can get that mix right.

Now, on the "dominating" part. They surely won't be as "dominating" as they've been with PS1 or PS2, but the common idea that they're somehow "doomed", after 3 months of launch, is just plain silly.

It's funny how some people defended Nintendo against the "Nintendo is doomed!" crowd, can't realize the irony of their current position.

How about the other side? The side yelling Nintendo is doomed, but now defending Sony? Can they not realize the irony of their current position? Like all things though even that is slightly different. Nintendo has always had their handheld market, they've always (even with less than good console sells) managed to make a sizable profit because of cheap hardware and extremely strong first party software sales, etc. Sony has a decent handheld (HW sales wise, PSP is pretty good, its software is a bomb though) but they are not making a profit off of the PS3, the software right now is lackluster, and because of the consoles extreme price the chicken egg situation is much more worse for them than it has been for Nintendo is the past.

Frankly I do not see PS3 selling over 1/2 of what PS2 sold, and I will call that a absolute failure, because it is. You can't go from #1 by a insane margin to either a close #2 or a barely #1 and still call yourself a success when the market is growing and you only reached half the sells of your previous effort. The same thing happened to Nintendo, Sega couldn't handle it, etc. As you can see you eventually have to then buck the trend and find a way to crack the shell and get back in, kind of like what Nintendo is doing now. So? Is Sony doomed? No, is the PS3 probably not going to be a success like the PS2? I strongly believe in comparison to the PS2 the PS3 will be a failure.

Publishers ARE for sure taking note. Japanese devs/pubs probably still believe in the PS3, but some of them will hedge their bets, like Square licensing UE3.0. No doubt Square is planning on keeping FFXIII exclusive to PS3, but IF something goes wrong and MS dominates they want to have a backup plan. That's my take on what some of the more savy PS3 devs are thinking right now. The same goes for Sega putting VF5 on X360 in the West and rumors about Capcom with DMC4 and Konami with MGS4.

PS: I would also like to say that this business of consumers wanting something new and fresh and don't want the same old thing: Rubbish. Mario and Final Fantasy should put that argument to rest.

PS: I would also like to say that this business of consumers wanting something new and fresh and don't want the same old thing: Rubbish. Mario and Final Fantasy should put that argument to rest.

Uhm... Maybe you should look at sales number of Mario games in the last few years. Final Fantasty is just one game, which sells no more than 5 million each time, and as good as that is, it's definitely not enough when you have new games like GTA selling 15M each...
It's obvious that as much as the old classics still sell, they have been vastly surpassed in both sales and appeal by newer games.

Hardly, you're pointing to one or two new IPs per GENERATION like GTA and Halo. GT, FF, MGS, Tony Hawk, Madden, FF, Mario games, Zelda etc... are very significant. Consumers WANT sequels. They LOVE them. They CRAVE them. The idea that they're looking for something completely new is nonsense IMO.

Define "dominate. Then define "miracle".

You keep talking in very general terms.

Couldn't what Sony achieved with PS1 and then PS2 be defined as "miracle" by some people? Especially PS2.

No, it wasnt a miracle. It was a mix of many things, and Sony has showed that more often than not they can get that mix right.

Now, on the "dominating" part. They surely won't be as "dominating" as they've been with PS1 or PS2, but the common idea that they're somehow "doomed", after 3 months of launch, is just plain silly.

I just call it like I see it. Sony made many mistakes (some say gambles) on the design of ps3 and now they are seeing the results of these mistakes.

By "Dominate" I mean lead.

By "Miracle" I mean highly unlikely.

It's a good thing none of these peple predicting doom for Sony were in charge of the Allied forces in WWII. The first battle the German tanks won, they'd have thrown in the towel and conceeded to the Nazis.

I can also only assume these people never watch any sport, where comebacks are not uncommon. And I guess they've never made note of the myriad of companies who's fortunes have waxed and waned, who can still swing an amazing success.

"Comebacks" are pretty common in war and sports. Most sports fans and war buffs can name dozens of comebacks off the top of their head. "Comebacks" aren't a common theme in the gaming world. PSP vs the DS is probably the most well known and recent example. But in general, the console with the most market momemtum when all the competitors are available usually snowballs its way to market leader. If Wii goes on to grab the most marketshare this generation it will mark the first time that a previous market leader has regained such a designation at least since early 80s (not counting the times a competitor would release early to generate sales). So while declaring a victor or loser at this stage is a little premature, its perfectly understandable why some would make such a declaration.

How about the other side? The side yelling Nintendo is doomed, but now defending Sony? Can they not realize the irony of their current position? Like all things though even that is slightly different. Nintendo has always had their handheld market, they've always (even with less than good console sells) managed to make a sizable profit because of cheap hardware and extremely strong first party software sales, etc. Sony has a decent handheld (HW sales wise, PSP is pretty good, its software is a bomb though) but they are not making a profit off of the PS3, the software right now is lackluster, and because of the consoles extreme price the chicken egg situation is much more worse for them than it has been for Nintendo is the past.

Frankly I do not see PS3 selling over 1/2 of what PS2 sold, and I will call that a absolute failure, because it is. You can't go from #1 by a insane margin to either a close #2 or a barely #1 and still call yourself a success when the market is growing and you only reached half the sells of your previous effort. The same thing happened to Nintendo, Sega couldn't handle it, etc. As you can see you eventually have to then buck the trend and find a way to crack the shell and get back in, kind of like what Nintendo is doing now. So? Is Sony doomed? No, is the PS3 probably not going to be a success like the PS2? I strongly believe in comparison to the PS2 the PS3 will be a failure.

I was pointing out ChefO's position, as to how Sony is now doomed even though genuine "doomness" rarely occurs as with Nintendo.

Hardly, you're pointing to one or two new IPs per GENERATION like GTA and Halo. GT, FF, MGS, Tony Hawk, Madden, FF, Mario games, Zelda etc... are very significant. Consumers WANT sequels. They LOVE them. They CRAVE them. The idea that they're looking for something completely new is nonsense IMO.

True - and a sequel to a successful game will always sell to gamers who bought the original.

Point is Wii's success is proof of people wanting something different. Are they buying it for the better graphics? Sound? HD movies?

Nintendo Is attracting NEW people to the market.

I agree that Wii will have limited success to traditional gamers as we are used to improved A/V in our next gen boxes but that does not mean they will not be successful. They are currently expanding the market and that is a very good thing.

Meet Nintendo: dominating Japan by a LARGE margin on a very few sequels, just because of a "dual screen thingy" and a "motion sensing controller".

You need to look at the fact, matey.

I am looking at the facts. Zelda sold HUGE in Japan. Sony doesn't have any of their popular sequels out. Next DQ on DS will sell HUGE. Sequels sell. Gamers love them. You have a small 3 month period that you are examining in a market that has gone hand-held mania crazy where the competition doesn't have their popular IP sequels out yet. Your argument doesn't hold water IMO.

I was pointing out ChefO's position, as to how Sony is now doomed even though genuine "doomness" rarely occurs as with Nintendo.

If Nintendo had made the same mistakes with Wii as Sony did with PS3 and had the same results at retail I'd say, "Nintendo, welcome to third place. Again."

MS would be in just as much trouble if they made these mistakes. Difference being they would be bone-headed/rich enough to stick it out, Again.

If Nintendo had made the same mistakes with Wii as Sony did with PS3 and had the same results at retail I'd say, "Nintendo, welcome to third place. Again."

MS would be in just as much troubleif they made these mistakes. Difference being they are bone-headed/rich enough to stick it out, Again.

I think you also need to grasp the concept of "premature." Nintendo can still finish third and the PS3 can still finish first.

I am looking at the facts. Zelda sold HUGE in Japan. Sony doesn't have any of their popular sequels out. Next DQ on DS will sell HUGE. Sequels sell. Gamers love them. You have a small 3 month period that you are examining in a market that has gone hand-held mania crazy where the competition doesn't have their popular IP sequels out yet. Your argument doesn't hold water IMO.

Zelda sold HUGE on the hype that you can play it "differently". Next DQ on DS will sell HUGE on the hype of how differently you can play it on DS.

I never said sequels don't sell, or that gamers don't love them.

All i said is that Nintendo showed that by differentiating themselves, they are now totally dominant. Sure sequels will always be there selling well, not sure where you got the whole "sequels dont sell" from.

True - and a sequel to a successful game will always sell to gamers who bought the original.

Point is Wii's success is proof of people wanting something different. Are they buying it for the better graphics? Sound? HD movies?

Nintendo Is attracting NEW people to the market.

I agree that Wii will have limited success to traditional gamers as we are used to improved A/V in our next gen boxes but that does not mean they will not be successful. They are currently expanding the market and that is a very good thing.

Nintendo attracting NEW people to the market is not the same has existing gamers (150 million of them) wanting something different. In fact it's just proof that Nintendo needs new consumers for the Wii to be a success. Everyone here should remember that the Cube was very strong out of the gate too. They sold about 75% as many Cubes at $300 that they have Wii's at $250 w/free game in the first 3 months.

I think that Nintendo WILL bring new consumers into the market and the will be successful with Wii, but I don't think it's even possible that they will dominate.

Zelda sold HUGE on the hype that you can play it "differently". Next DQ on DS will sell HUGE on the hype of how differently you can play it on DS.

I never said sequels don't sell, or that gamers don't love them.

All i said is that Nintendo showed that by differentiating themselves, they are now totally dominant. Sure sequels will always be there selling well, not sure where you got the whole "sequels dont sell" from.

I see that you are retracting some of your arguments. So we'll leave it at that. :)

Back